Mark Gatiss on Game of Thrones

Westeros

Last night, James Hibberd at EW revealed another exclusive scoop: British actor Mark Gatiss—perhaps best known to fans in the US as Mycroft Holmes on the BBC’s Sherlock, which he happens to also be co-creator of—is joining the cast of Game of Thrones. But the role… well, that’s a mystery, apparently. Hibberd notes that Gatiss will be at San Diego Comic-Con to take part in Sherlock‘s first ever panel at the convention, a panel he himself is moderating, so he’s hoping there’ll be news there… but there’s always the chance that Gatiss will be brought out as a surprise guest at the Game of Thrones panel on Friday, so we’ll have to wait and see.

What role could Gatiss play? The most significant male characters as yet unannounced as being cast are Mace Tyrell and the Magnar of Thenn, but there’s a number of other roles—including the interesting notion of recasting the Bowen Marsh from the first season to give Jon Snow an additional foil on the Wall—where he might well fit.

Visit the Site!

Love BBC Sherlock. Great seeing actors from one awesome series join another.

Mace Tyrell seems the most likely out of the as-yet uncast male roles that have been publicized. Interesting that they won't reveal who he's playing, could just be so they can announce it at Comic Con though.

If you've never heard of The League of Gentlemen,well now you have.The only sit com that's ever been genuinely funny,offbeat and scary.Genius stuff.

Who the hell is he playing?Bloodraven?

He gave an interview at SDCC with Access Hollywood where he confirmed the following:

1. He's already done filming (bearing in mind filming started July 9th and it's now July 18th)

2. He was surprised that news of his casting was leaked (seems to rule out his inclusion in a SDCC new character intro video like we had last year, although it seems like we won't get a SDCC new character intro video at all this year)

3. Of his role: "It does involve hair" (when asked whether some crazy-coloured wigs were involved, he replied "We'll see, we'll see")

The hair comment seems to rule out the more physically conventional possibilities floated: Mace Tyrell, recast Kevan Lannister, Randyll Tarly, Bowen Marsh, etc.

Who the hell is he playing?Bloodraven?

Well, Bloodraven does have hair down to the floor, and if Gatiss' filming is already done, it's quite likely he only has one or two scenes (maybe in 4x10 to set up Season 5).

Could also be Damphair, of course.

It's a fantastic piece of casting. One of the creators of league of gentlemen (if you haven't watched it, your missing out) a brilliant actor, also a fantastic screenwriter with credits for Sherlock and doctor who amongst many other. Would love it if they got him to write an episode at some point as well. Would love to see him go up against dinklage at some point, don't really care how.

You guys, can it be anymore obvious? I think he is playing a certain guy with BLUE hair, leading around a young Griff........ I honestly thing we may get an early introduction this season as not to just throw that storyline at people in the 5th or 6th season

I PRAY FOR THIS. Gimme the Griffs nao!

Love hearing this news! One of my favourite actors, especially in Sherlock and League of Gentlemen, and a great writer. Gatiss plays a good creep, I'm pretty sure any role he'll play in GoT will be a creepy, deranged character.

You know, Id also love to see Idris Elba in GoT. Fantastic actor and if he and Mark Gatiss were in a scene together, it would be a masterpiece for a Brit like me.

I PRAY FOR THIS. Gimme the Griffs nao!

Not likely at all. They can't randomly throw in Griff. Tyrion is very unlikely to get anywhere near him. Introducing him in the last episode would be meaningless to the non-book readers.

Not likely at all. They can't randomly throw in Griff. Tyrion is very unlikely to get anywhere near him. Introducing him in the last episode would be meaningless to the non-book readers.

Yeah, Griff in Season 4 would make no sense.

Archived