Game of Thrones Garners Emmy Nominations

Westeros

Did anyone catch that, what with the whole Messiah-crowd-surfing scene??

That was cheesy and stupid (and racist), but not exactly whitewashing.

The problem with Dany in the show is the same problem with most characters - she's inconsistent and lacks nuance. In one scene she is harsh and unyielding, and in the next scene she's soft and inexperienced. This isn't a problem in the books where GRRM blends them together and, interestingly, it's not a problem in his episode - her scene/s in "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" show both aspects of her personality.

Another problem is that they erased her victory over the Yunkish and gave it to Daario Naharis. But that's not exactly "whitewashing".

That was cheesy and stupid (and racist), but not exactly whitewashing.

The problem with Dany in the show is the same problem with most characters - she's inconsistent and lacks nuance. In one scene she is harsh and unyielding, and in the next scene she's soft and inexperienced. This isn't a problem in the books where GRRM blends them together and, interestingly, it's not a problem in his episode - her scene/s in "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" show both aspects of her personality.

Another problem is that they erased her victory over the Yunkish and gave it to Daario Naharis. But that's not exactly "whitewashing".

Agreed, probably something like hiding her flaws/oversimplifying her. Come on, non-readers want her to win, because she seems like the ideal hero, the perfect one. I think that when she may seem harsh to you, non-readers (many of them, let's not generalize) see that as strength.

But lets not turn this into a Dany discussing thread. I'm happy for the show, and I'm -reasonably- happy for Emilia.

(though the bitterness over NCW not getting nominated will stay for a couple of days :P )

I have nothing against Emilia Clarke and I actually think that she does a very good job, but the nomination really should have gone to Michelle Fairley: her performamce in "The Rains of Castamere" was really amazing! No surprise for Peter Dinklage and, well... he deserves it. I'm very happy for Dianna Rigg, who is great as the Queen of Thornes.

I'll stay out of the Emilia or Michelle arguments, but why doesn't anyone ever mention Maisie? She was in some of the more emotional scenes of the season (Hot Pie goodbye, Gendry goodbye, accusing the Hound of murder during his trial, running away, seeing Grey Wind killed, etc). On top of being in the more emotional scenes, her acting is just stunning for someone of her age.

I'll stay out of the Emilia or Michelle arguments, but why doesn't anyone ever mention Maisie? She was in some of the more emotional scenes of the season (Hot Pie goodbye, Gendry goodbye, accusing the Hound of murder during his trial, running away, seeing Grey Wind killed, etc). On top of being in the more emotional scenes, her acting is just stunning for someone of her age.

You forgot the conversation between her, Thoros and Beric after the trial.

I'm a huge Williams fan. Arya's my favorite on the show. But she was never up for nomination, so I had my "blow up" earlier.

So disappointed that Michelle didn't get nominated. Such a shame considering it was probably her last chance - for Thrones anyway. Emilia was excellent, however, no denying that.

Dracarys was excellent but apart from that her performance throughout the rest of the season was entirely unremarkable. Fairley was consistently better, her monologue with Talisa and the entire Red Wedding sequence was magnificent, she absolutely deserved the nod over Emilia.

Perhaps I'm being too cynical but I suspect Peter Dinklage will get the nomination every year simply because he's a dwarf (and the male lead) on an immensely popular TV show. He's talented for sure, but he was outclassed this year.

Fairley was consistently better, her monologue with Talisa and the entire Red Wedding sequence was magnificent

She was the best on the show. I assume it was simply her lack of material, making it easier to overlook for the majority of the season. Still, one would think that her Red Wedding and talk with Talisa (terrible, but an excellent performance on her part) were ample evidence that she deserved a nod. I suppose it's more who's popular at the moment rather than strictly being about the performances.

Really pleased for Emilia Clarke, her performances have been getting better and better. Dinklage probably deserved it as well, particularly for "Second Sons", NCW perhaps didn't feature enough for his nomination, though I'm disappointed that Charles Dance missed out. Well deserved nominations.

Archived