Game of Thrones Garners Emmy Nominations

Westeros

Catelyn barely got any screentime and - in season 3 at least - she was not a memorable or talked about character.

Maybe if they hadn't changed Cat so much from the book and hadn't sidelined her in favour of Robb, Fairley would have been given the emmy nomination that she deserved. As it was, her performance at the Red Wedding came after a whole season of doing nothing, and ultimately her performance was overshadowed by the event itself.

I'm joining in on the people that Nicolaj Coster-Waldau should've been nominated, he was def one of the pillars of this season, more so than Peter Dinklage.

Also, great that 'Game of Thrones' managed to garner the second most nominations of all series! I thought they had 16 (haven't heard of a special award), just one less than "American Horror story: Asylum".

p.s. anyone seen the photo of Diana Riggs they used on the official Emmy nominations list? I gather it has probably been taken a few decades back ;) She looks 20 heh

Michelle Fairley could have easily earned a nomination just for her monologue about Jon Snow... Peter Dinklage didn't do much this season, and got his nod nonetheless. I don't disagree with Emilia Clarke's nomination but ..why is she considered supporting actress? (I supose there are no real main characters in GOT). Anyway I think Michelle Fairley proved to be outstanding, regardless the relatively little screentime (if so, I consider it more deserving, she did wonders with less material). Jeez...one of the most iconic scenes of the entire series (and probably in recent TV history) is entirely hers and she nailed it!

Oh well...

Congratulations to Emilia. Her and NCW were the standouts of this season by far. Emilia absolutely deserves the nod, the speech she gave in the end of And Now His Watch Is Ended was fantastic. That scene gave me chills, and absolutely did the scene from the book justice. I never agreed with those that claimed she couldn't act, it was a writing problem in S2 if anything, not her acting.

Emilia Clarke is to 2013 Emmys what Pia Zadora was to the 1982 Golden Globes. laughable

The nominated actors, in total, are a testament to same'ole, same'ole laziness that is really just stunning in its boring predictability. Shame for NCW and Fairley, though. A real oversight, IMO, to disregard both.

All the people who are wondering about Fairley not getting nominated are surprising me. The show made Cat less than even a supporting role, she was a background character at best. One scene in Rains of Castamere is not enough to make up for an entire season of her taking a backseat to Robb, Talisa, Bryden, and pretty much everyone in Cat's storyline.

Emilia Clarke is to 2013 Emmys what Pia Zadora was to the 1982 Golden Globes. laughable

Wow. Way to jump right off the deep-end. You are going to compare Emilia Clarke's nomination to the nomination of a woman who was concurrently nominated for Golden Raspberries and a Golden Globe (the latter award supposedly won thanks to some surreptitious actions by her husband).

What on earth do you have against Emilia Clarke to think this was a fair comparison?

I wanted Michelle Fairley to be nominated, but given her limited screen-time this season, I can't say I'm surprised. However, NCW delivered the best performance of the show this year IMO, so I don't get it how he wasn't nominated. I'm glad for Dinklage and Clarke, they have been terrific throughout the season. The real shame is the absence of Ramin Djawadi for the third consecutive year.

No. The show submitted Clarke, Headey, and Fairley, and then Dormer and Kekilli submitted themselves as well.

That's sad. I really loved Christie's work this year. I think her scenes with NCW really stood out this season. I also agree with those saying NCW should have gotten the nom.

Thanks for the info.

Harrington, hahahaha - he's soapstar material at best.

He's okay. I definitely agree he is not one who should be nominated for supporting actor role. Either HBO knows something we don't or they are just playing into the fact that he is much loved by the females aged 15-infinity demographic.

Outstanding Drama Series: I don't expect GOT to win this ever. The fact that it's a fantasy show will never sit well with the Emmy voters, who will probably consider it as too gimmicky, and opt for a safer choice like Homeland or Mad Men. Also, the show isn't good enough to win(on an unrelated note, it's a great sign for Netflix that House of Cards has received a best drama nomination).

Outstanding Supporting Actor: Really surprised that Dinklage was nominated over NCW. It's all politics, I guess. If it were any other year, I would guess that Aaron Paul would win the award, but given that he had less to work with in season 5, I think Mandy Patinkin might swoop in and get the award.

Outstanding Supporting Actress: Once again, I was surprised. Clarke was good, but not Emmy-worthy good, IMHO. And given that the award is based on their performance in a single episode, I'm surprised Michelle Fairley didn't get a nom for The Rains of Castamere. She also had some strong performances early in the season. I don't expect Clarke to win - Maggie Smith might continue to be the Emmy voters' favourite.

Outstanding Guest Actress: Great to see Diana Rigg nominated, but once again, I don't think she'll win. It's refreshing though, that the show is getting more acting noms.

Oh well, I try not to take the Emmys too seriously.

Archived