Game of Thrones Garners Emmy Nominations

Westeros

true, compared to what's being put out(especially by AMC), GoT just doesn't measure up. Good show nonetheless.

Agreed. Once again, I think politics might play a factor in it's selection, given that it's the only HBO show up for Best Drama. Not trying to discredit the show, which I think deserves a nomination, but it's possible that backstage pressure causes at least one HBO show to be nominated every year.

Unlike most, I am not at all shocked that Dinklage got the sole Supporting Actor nom over NCW. Emmy voters tend to give more weight to those who have been nominated/won before, and despite having less to do this season, Dinklage still had one REALLY good episode to send to critics (his wedding to Sansa), where he knocked it out of the park.

The Supporting Actor in a Drama is probably THE most stacked category in the whole thing, so it makes perfect sense to only give it to one GoT actor. Honestly, NCW is not high on my list of people that got snubbed in that category. He'd be like the third or fourth change I'd make in that one. (Walton Goggins! Mads Mikkelsen!)

Very curious to see who wins it this year. I'd be pretty surprised to see it go to someone other than Aaron Paul or Peter Dinklage.

GoT will not win for anything else except maybe a technical category or two. Emmy voters will never give Best Drama to a fantasy show, and honestly with the field of competition they're right. Game of Thrones deserves the nomination, but isn't anywhere near the win.

Diana Rigg seems like a lock to win for the same reason that Maggie Smith won her category: British actress with great reputation (leads voters to think she must be more amazing by virtue of being a British actress with a great reputation) on an incredibly popular show with tons of buzz, playing a sassy old lady who gets all the awesome lines. Lock.

On another note, Nina Gold had better get her damn Outstanding Casting Emmy already. Of all the actors introduced in Season 3--major, minor, and one-season-and-done (Dan Hildebrandt as Kraznys)--I can think of maybe one or two who weren't amazing. Casting Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr alone should get her that Emmy. Bow down.

I'd be pretty surprised to see it go to someone other than Aaron Paul or Peter Dinklage.

I'm pretty sure Aaron Paul's getting that Emmy.

It's a straight out fight between Dinklage and Paul for the Supporting actor and i think Paul is going to win it.Peter has been good but not great whereas Aaron Paul has continually been very impressive

Emilia gets the nomination but that's it her performace was good in season 3 but nothing on either Anna Gunn or Maggie Smith and i don't know about the others

Diana Rigg may win the competition looks good but there is no one that you can say will definitely get it

As for best Dram Series i'm pretty sure Breaking Bad will take that one

Also on another note why are Shameless actors being nominated in the Drama category i have only seen the British version but that was a gritty comedy not a drama

I actually think Thrones deserves the Best Drama win this year (although I haven't seen House of Cards, so my opinion isn't totally informed). Mad Men had its worst season, Homeland went batshit insane, and Downton Abbey is awful. Breaking Bad is good and fantastically acted, but I think it lacks the thematic depth and range Thrones has.

As much as I like Emilia Clarke, I think Anna Gunn or Christina Hendricks deserves the actress award. Aaron Paul just kills it every week. I don't see him losing to anyone

Emilia Clarke's nomination might seem strange based on how acting is commonly judged: she didn't have many highly emotional scenes this year, etc.

However, she manages to shine in different areas. Her character has become almost an iconic figure, Khaleesis pop up everywhere on social media, Dany is the face of the show, the most popular character and the one most of the audience (> 50 % !!) want to 'win'. Plus, when you read Game of Thrones reviews Dany is repeatedly mentioned at the most 'badass' or 'empowered' female character on television. Of course that is partly due to the role, but you still have to give Emilia Clarke a lot of credit to achieve all of that through her screen presence, her charisma or however you want to explain it.

Buzz has a lot to do with it. Peter Dinklage and, to a lesser extent, Emilia Clarke, are the "face" of the series, so it makes sense that they'd be the "natural" choice for noms, especially in a series with as many characters--even "lead" characters--as GOT. They're both playing characters who have something which allows them to stand out from the rest of the GOT pack of leads (the joke is that casual non-book readers identify Dany as either "Khaleesi" or "Dragon Lady" rather than by her actual name). And they're both extremely charismatic actors (in my opinion), which helps them stand out in a series so crammed full of characters. Jaime, on the other hand, is one of the lead characters, but he's not nearly on Tyrion and Dany's level in terms of show buzz, recognition, iconic status, etc. etc., not by a long shot. Ditto for Michelle Fairley as Cat; the Red Wedding gave her an uptick in terms of buzz and recognition, but not enough. To a lot of non-viewers with the barest knowledge of the show, GOT is "that show with the little person (or some less PC term)" or "that show with the dragon lady."

Of the shows that were eligible for Outstanding Drama Series for this year, I think Boardwalk Empire (not nominated), Treme (ignored every single year, as is typical of David Simon shows), and Enlightened (which would have been nominated as a comedy series) were all better than the third season of Game of Thrones. As the nominations stand, I think this year will come down to Thrones and House of Cards.

Homeland had a really good first season, but the fourth season of Breaking Bad should have easily won the award last year. The second season started strong, but fell apart pretty quickly after Q&A. Claire Danes and Damien Lewis both turned in great performances during the second season, but they fell into a routine of her character having an emotional breakdown while his character has a mental breakdown in just about every subsequent episode. Danes knows how to cry, though, there's no denying that. In any case, I think the second season was nominated due to the fact that it basically swept the major awards categories last year, and it would be odd to omit it entirely this year. Don't think it has much chance to win, though the voters do love the team behind this show (as evidenced by the ridiculous win for Outstanding Drama Series 24 garnered in 2006), so you never know.

House of Cards was nominated by the virtue of being the first digital series with some serious credentials. I wish Netflix would have released Orange Is The New Black to be eligible for the Emmy's this year instead, since that would have been a deserved nomination. There's not much to the role of Frank Underwood, and even less to the role of his wife, Claire, so I'm not sure how she got nominated (in a category with seven nominees, no less), but one of the best television performances I've seen in a long time is completely ignored. I'm speaking, of course, about Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black. While I didn't love the show as a whole, it's impossible to deny her performance, so of course they went ahead and did exactly that. In any case, I don't think House of Cards was particularly good, so there are a number of shows I would have replaced it with in this category (Boardwalk, Southland, The Americans, Rectify, Treme, or even Spartacus: Gods of the Arena would have all been more worthy candidates).

Downtown Abbey... It's just not for me, though I can see why Emmy voters continue to enjoy it. It's essentially a well-made, period soap opera with a few big names, and a number of good performances. And while Breaking Bad is probably my favorite currently airing show, I don't think the first half of the final season merits a win. The carefully constructed character development of both Walt and Skyler White was a bit rushed at the beginning of the season, while the best characters in the show (Hank, Jesse, and Saul) were all incredibly underutilized. Jesse, in particular, was given very little of substance to do this season, so it's odd to see people here decrying that Dinklage got a nomination at all while simultaneously saying that Paul should win! His character came very close to self-parody a few too many times for my liking (especially in the earlier episodes of the season, the premiere in particular). Even Cranston was given considerably less to play with, though he's so damn good that it doesn't really matter. Though I'm personally pulling for Jon Hamm to finally win the award, myself.

Mad Men also had what I would consider its worst season, though the show is so consistently good that that isn't saying much. Still, Weiner had some problematic episodes in the early going, and his depiction of 60's counter-culture was just plain bad a lot of the time. The season finale was incredible, however, so I simply can't understand how it didn't pick up a writing nomination.

With so much high-quality television currently airing, it's got to be incredibly difficult to narrow down these categories to 6-7 nominees. Perhaps it's time for the Emmy's to either allow for a higher number of nominees (up to eight or even ten) to be nominated, or to separate cable and broadcast networks into their own individual ballots. I'd prefer the former option, myself, though the people in charge of broadcasting the awards show itself might prefer to split the two (when cable shows dominate the awards like this, it tends to mean lower ratings for the program).

Still, this is another year where it seems they got just as much right (Louie finally getting the respect it deserves; Mandy Patinkin for Supporting Actor; Adam Driver for Supporting Actor in a comedy; etc.) as they did wrong (Hugh Bonneville, Jeff Daniels, and Kevin Spacey over Steve Buscemi, Michael Cudlitz, or Matthew Rhys; The Americans, Hannibal, and Rectify being snubbed, in general; Tatiana Maslany not getting an Outstanding Lead Actress nomination; etc.)

Emilia Clarke's nomination might seem strange based on how acting is commonly judged: she didn't have many highly emotional scenes this year, etc.

However, she manages to shine in different areas. Her character has become almost an iconic figure, Khaleesis pop up everywhere on social media, Dany is the face of the show, the most popular character and the one most of the audience (> 50 % !!) want to 'win'. Plus, when you read Game of Thrones reviews Dany is repeatedly mentioned at the most 'badass' or 'empowered' female character on television. Of course that is partly due to the role, but you still have to give Emilia Clarke a lot of credit to achieve all of that through her screen presence, her charisma or however you want to explain it.

I'm not trying to sound like a tool here and no offence to Emilia Clarke her acting has vastly improved but she's the face of the show because she is incredibly beautiful she stands out in what can be considered a good looking cast Clarke also has a distinctly seperate storyline to any other characters which makes her more interesting to show watchers

Very happy about Peter :thumbsup: He can walk across the scene and say nothing and have more presence than the talking actors.

I am very surprised about Emilia being chosen. Michelle and Maisie are truly excellent actresses and are worthy of an Emmy. I wouldn't be surprised if Lena or Sophia were chosen either!

Khal-a-bunga,

She can cry alright, and even look ugly doing it :P still like her though :drool:

Oh, for sure. I've had a thing for Claire Danes since her days on My So-Called Life, and even the Baz Lhurman adaptation of Romeo & Juliet.

I think Game of Thrones deserves to win this season, as I believe that, excluding House of Cards, which only had its first season, Thrones is the only show that was better this year than it has ever been amongst the list of nominees. The best show on TV at the moment.

Michelle Fairley is brilliant, don't care what anyone says, she has given the best performance easily. I obviously am a huge fan of the beautiful Emilia Clarke and I will root for her but it just doesn't feel right. Also Maise Williams needs to be nominated.

NCW definitely should have been nominated. It seems that with so many great actors, the Emmy's have started to just resort to Dinklage as a default choice...

so much. NCW not getting the nod made me wanna flip a table. :tantrum: Season 3 was NCW's best in his career (this side of the Atlantic that is) and yet he gets skipped for Dinklage? Da hell.

Michelle Fairley barely had any screentime this season

Dinklage had much less than last season, where he (quite reasonably) got the nod.

Emilia Clarke may have improved since the stinker that was season 2, but hory sheet. There was only one moment in the whole season where i felt she was doing a good job. I guess its like others said, its because shes recognizable. Even my mum said that, but i find that kind of a pity when theres so many other great female performances in the series.

Archived