Game of Thrones Garners Emmy Nominations

Westeros

Nobody gets an Emmy nomination for five almost completely unsupported minutes. None of the other nominees, this year or last, are there on that basis.

I'm not saying it's the basis, I'm saying her acting there was far better and more memorable than the people who got nominated.

I'm not saying it's the basis, I'm saying her acting there was far better and more memorable than the people who got nominated.

Fairley could have been a great candidate for guest actress with "The Rains of Castamere", but the season as a whole simply did not support her (heh) enough to get into the supporting actress field. If you look at the nominees, both this year and last, they have arcs spanning the whole year and fairly consistent levels of screentime. That builds buzz and appreciation. Most of the season she had less attention paid to her than Talisa, another female character within the same storyline, let alone Emilia (the person who was nominated that year), or Lena, or Maisie, etc.

Haha, how did I know you'd be touting Djawadi for a win? ;) He certainly does deserve it.

This is a good list, but color me shocked that Pedro Pascal wasn't even nominated. I figured him for that much at the very least.

You know your brother. ;o) That's how you know.

(And I posted several tracks by Djawadi in the "What are you listening to..." -thread I know. I just like his work. Especially "The King's Arrival" and "Two Swords" for instance.)

Pedro Pascal deserved a nomination to be sure. And so did my namesake (Charles Dance).

Fairley could have been a great candidate for guest actress with "The Rains of Castamere", but the season as a whole simply did not support her (heh) enough to get into the supporting actress field. If you look at the nominees, both this year and last, they have arcs spanning the whole year and fairly consistent levels of screentime. That builds buzz and appreciation. Most of the season she had less attention paid to her than Talisa, another female character within the same storyline, let alone Emilia (the person who was nominated that year), or Lena, or Maisie, etc.

So what? She was still featured throughout the season and again she was far more memorable in one scene than in dozen others had. So the argument 'she wasn't in much for them to remember' does not apply.

You know your brother. ;o) That's how you know.

(And I posted several tracks by Djawadi in the "What are you listening to..." -thread I know. I just like his work. Especially "The King's Arrival" and "Two Swords" for instance.)

Pedro Pascal deserved a nomination to be sure. And so did my namesake (Charles Dance).

:cheers:

"The King's Arrival" is one of my favorite pieces of music ever from a TV show or movie. I could listen to it over and over (and have done so).

Agree on Charles Dance...a shame he was never nominated for this role. Few characters on TV have carried such a commanding presence.

She was still featured throughout the season

No, she wasn't. She had like two scenes, and no story arc. The focus of the Northern army plot was on Robb and (to a lesser extent) Talisa for most of the way through.

again she was far more memorable in one scene than in dozen others had. So the argument 'she wasn't in much for them to remember' does not apply.

One scene is not enough to build the buzz to get an Emmy nomination. It never has been (despite people talking about a certain moment being the ones that clinches the win).

If you look at Emilia, who was actually nominated that year, her "big" moment was in episode 4. But she had a whole season's worth of story leading up to and after that moment, which maintained the interest in her and raised her profile. Same with Lena this year. Same with all the actresses who were actually nominated. You need that stuff to be thought of as important and demonstrate breadth.

"The King's Arrival" is one of my favorite pieces of music ever from a TV show or movie. I could listen to it over and over (and have done so).

Agree on Charles Dance...a shame he was never nominated for this role. Few characters on TV have carried such a commanding presence.

Speaking of which. I just put up my "GoT" playlist and am listening to it.

"The King's Arrival" is great. It also appeals to me because I know how to play the trumpet - and it sounds so majestic and grand.

My second favorite is "A Lannister Always Pays His Debts" - not only because I'm a Lannister fanboy. When I first heard it on the show it reminded me of another musical piece by Michael Nyman actually. And I think it's sad and grand at the same time.

Charles was really awesome without having read the books - I watched an interview the BBC did with him. And he talked about him getting into a role - a Dickensian character he played. It reminded me of some "Vampire" Live sessions I played.

In some other interviews he talked about him apologizing to Peter Dinklage so often, this reminded me so much of a friend who got into trouble with an NPC elder (non-player character) I played once. I apologized to the girl who was the (poor) victim, because I treated her character quite badly.

I really liked his Tywin from the first season onwards.

It's almost laughable how in one statement people both discredit and validate the emmys. How can you say something like:

"the emmys are such a joke, but I'm glad so and so finally got recognised for such brilliant work. Also, Emilia Clarke is so talentless that she's not even worthy of that nomination she got. Lena is great so she deserved her nomination. Michelle was snubbed. These awards are such a joke."

Seriously. It's either you recognise the emmys as a respectable talent acknowledgement system or you don't. You can't have the system work for you only when it matches your opinions. If we, as a fan base, agree on the prestige of the emmys, are we not agreeing that the system is valid and above reproach?

Gosh, the amount of Emilia hate. Poor girl doesn't even have to be nominated to inspire debates. When she is, it's another debate.

Of course we're allowed to be disappointed when our favourites are not recognised. We can kick and scream that NCW and Pedro Pascal and Charles Dance and this person and that person were not recognised. We cannot, however, bash that same system by which we want them to be recognised. It's contradictory and it tends to get unkind.

It's almost laughable how in one statement people both discredit and validate the emmys. How can you say something like:

"the emmys are such a joke, but I'm glad so and so finally got recognised for such brilliant work. Also, Emilia Clarke is so talentless that she's not even worthy of that nomination she got. Lena is great so she deserved her nomination. Michelle was snubbed. These awards are such a joke."

Seriously. It's either you recognise the emmys as a respectable talent acknowledgement system or you don't. You can't have the system work for you only when it matches your opinions. If we, as a fan base, agree on the prestige of the emmys, are we not agreeing that the system is valid and above reproach?

Gosh, the amount of Emilia hate. Poor girl doesn't even have to be nominated to inspire debates. When she is, it's another debate.

Of course we're allowed to be disappointed when our favourites are not recognised. We can kick and scream that NCW and Pedro Pascal and Charles Dance and this person and that person were not recognised. We cannot, however, bash that same system by which we want them to be recognised. It's contradictory and it tends to get unkind.

It is possible to think awards are a joke but still be happy for a person getting recognized by the academy, which is for whatever reason prestigious and will bring them exposure. I'm sure Ramin and Lena are happy and as I appreciate their work I'm happy for them.

They are both. They are prestigious and help an actor's career, and they also involve a lot of TV politics and bandwagon mentality, so it is absolutely easy to simultaneously want to see someone win an Emmy while recognizing that the Emmy nominations are not really the "best" list, even though they may be a reasonable approximation most of the time.

I think Dinklage deserved it this season (didn't in S3). Both NCW and Charles Dance were very good but Dinklage had some great moments this season.

Pedro Pascal was robbed!

Not surprised by nominations for effects etc-the show definitely deserves to win those.

20 nominations! Hah! It doesn't make up for some of last years snubs (Michelle Fairley in particular) but it'll do for now. Just imagine getting "best drama series"... that would show the genre-doubter types who don't watch because they "don't like fantasy".

Nominations I support vs. nominations that I think will come through:

• Outstanding Drama Series
  • Outstanding Supporting Actress – Lena Headey
  • Outstanding Supporting Actor – Peter Dinklage
  • Outstanding Guest Actress – Diana Rigg
  • Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series – David Benioff and D.B. Weiss (“The Children”)
  • Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series – Neil Marshall (“The Watchers on the Wall”)
  • Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series- Nina Gold and Robert Sterne
  • Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Original Dramatic Score)- Ramin Djawadi
  • Outstanding Art Direction For A Contemporary Or Fantasy Series (Single-Camera)
  • Outstanding Cinematography (2 nominations):
    • Jonathan Freeman (“Two Swords”)

• Anette Haellmigk (“The Lion and the Rose”)

• Outstanding Costumes for a Series (“The Lion and the Rose”)
  • Outstanding Hairstyling for a Single-Camera Series (“The Lion and the Rose”)
  • Outstanding Makeup For A Single-Camera Series-Non-Prosthetic (“Oathkeeper”)
  • Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup For A Series, Miniseries, Movie Or A Special (“The Children”)
  • Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series (“The Watchers on the Wall”)
  • Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series – One Hour (“The Watchers on the Wall”)

• Outstanding Special and Visual Effects

• Outstanding Stunt Coordination For A Drama Series, Miniseries Or Movie
  • Outstanding Interactive Program – Game of Thrones Premiere : Facebook Live and Instagram

This, to me, was the worst year for music, and the first year it gets nominated.

Agreed. Season one and two had great soundtracks and season three's music was awesome. The OST for season 4 is, IMO, kind of meh... and NOW he get's nominated? :shocked: *confused Seneti is confused* :dunno:

Glad for Djawadi's nom, at long last. Pleased but surprised at Headey's nom.

What are the odds on Dinklage taking the Emmy this year? It's a brutally competitive category.

Off-topic: Love Joe Mantello getting some love for The Normal Heart. LOL at the OITNB ladies getting shoved into the guest actress category. Whatever works, I guess.

Colonel Green, on 10 Jul 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

don't they submit one episode especially for consideration though? i could be wrong. i know the whole season might influence people, but that one episode was just amazing.

I'm really shocked that pedro didnt get a nom. the amount of buzz surrounding his death alone you would think would be enough to get him noticed. also, I think the only reason alfie allen didn't get nominated for anything was so they could just make it a bigger surprise when they just give him every award. seriously. he is the most underrated actor on television. sooooo good. i think he'll have a shot next year when he has more to do. hopefully.

people are talking about charles dance's snub, but despite it being his last year, i dont think he really had much emmy material. other than his death scene, he just didn't have any scenes that stood out as amazing acting. talking to qot, talking to cersei, talking to oberyn... nothing particularly amazing. he was great, don't get me wrong, but he just didn't have many heavy scenes. season three should have been his for his tyrion scenes where he actually had to emote.

don't they submit one episode especially for consideration though?

Yeah, they do, but (like I said) that's really just the starting point, especially at the nominations phase (when you're down to six or so actual nominees, the tape matters more, since a voter might actually be able to watch all of them if they so chose).

What are the odds on Dinklage taking the Emmy this year? It's a brutally competitive category.

Jim Carter is just there because the voters love Downton. Jon Voight is there because he's Jon Voight. Mandy Patinkin was good, but Homeland is clearly past its sell-by date, so I wouldn't worry about him. You could build a case for Josh Charles, but the Emmys rarely take the "last time to honour [Person X]" logic even though it's often speculated that they will. I think it's down to Dinklage and Paul, with Charles maybe a darkhorse.

Archived