Why I believe Arya is Azor Ahai

Roadside Rose

If this theory is true, both could be possibilities for Nissa Nissa. I was drawn more to the whole King's Blood foreshadowing and her feelings toward Gendry in choosing him. The next most likely candidate I think is Jon Snow followed by LS. While it could be Nymeria, although it is not clear, my reading of the legend is that Nissa Nissa willingly sacrificed herself. She bared her breast so that the sword could be plunged through her heart. I don't think that Nymeria would fit the bill for that type of sacrifice.

Yes....I am forgetting that part....being a willing sacrifice....out of those listed.....LS.

• 2 months later...

I really do think that AAR and TPTWP will be someone unexpected. It won't be third time lucky for Rhaegar.

All the Stark kids became princes when Robb crowned himself the only problem is that the valyrian word in TPTWP prophesy which is translated as prince also means dragon. However it is likely that dragon also has a few other meaning like hero, great leader, Valyrian noble etc. Also the Starks could have a distant Targ ancestor.

Theon dreams of the Stark kids with dragon-like blood.

When he glanced back over his shoulder he saw them coming, great wolves the size of horses with the heads of small children. Oh, mercy, mercy. Blood dripped from their mouths black as pitch, burning holes in the snow where it fell.

Drogon's blood

The dragon gave one last hiss and stretched out flat upon his belly. Black blood was flowing from the wound where the spear had pierced him, smoking where it dripped onto the scorched sands.

The Arya killing Cat as Nissa Nissa also fits with the ice=lightbringer theory as oathkeeper is currently in LS's possession. I thought that Nissa Nissa might have been a fire-wight when I re-read the part where Beric lights the sword with his blood. If you could bind that fire-blood to a sword you would have something which looks very much like lightbringer.

You know I also thought that the Starks and/or maybe the Tullys would have Targ blood. I reason that before the Dance of Dragons civil war, House Targ had many cadet branches formed by members of the royal family, I would postulate that perhaps a female Targ from one of these branches married into the Tullys or the Starks. I would probably say the Tullys more than the Starks since the relations between the south and the north have always been uneasy. Also I wouldn't put it past House Tully to cement an alliance to a side in a civil war through a marriage. They did it for Robert's Rebellion.

• 1 year later...

The Iron Bank of Braavos runs the people who run the world. They employ the Faceless Men from time to time to pull the strings. Winter is coming. The Bank know the Others are returning, and that’s a threat to their world order. Instead of the Endless Summer, there is potential for an Endless Winter. The Bank’s knowledge stretches back through time – only they and the (as yet unexplored) leadership of the Citadel knows what comes next. The Bank relies on, inter alia, magic. The Citadel has done its best to stamp out magic (and probably created the 7 faced god – a manufactured yet credible and very practical version of religion, which has yet to show us any direct manifestation of its power/ability (unlike the red priests and the Old Gods)) - to aid transition to a secular society in the belief that the threat from the North will never again remerge.

The blood of the first men runs in the veins of the Starks. A Stark is said to be the first of the Others. The Bank knows this, and recognises/respects the role of the mystical Starks as first guardians since time immemorial.

Little Finger said that the Faceless Men were legendary in skill and cost. How could one be “caught” by the City Watch and thrown in the black cells? What was Jaqen’s purpose in Kings Landing? No-one has emerged as him employer and no mission was obvious. The Bank sent a faceless man to identify and train Azor Ahai (Arya Stark). Syrio Fourel, First Sword of Braavos, started her training. Then, he rebranded as Jaqen H’Ghar and engineered circumstances to shadow Arya to the Wall.

So who’s heart will she use to forge the sword?

The Red Priests can raise the dead, but they come back somewhat weirded. The dashing knight Lord Berric Dondarrion came back as a vigilante, Stoneheart is a total nutjob.

Jon Snow will be raised and confirmed has R+L and go on a just quest to reclaim the North from the Boltons, unite the north and south, starting another war – his misguided sense of justice takes eyes off beyond the Wall and the Others. Arya will kill him and the sword, with the blood of someone she loves (who is of the blood of Old Valyeria), will emerge aflame.

PS – Howland Reid was at the Tower of Joy too – perhaps Meera knows the truth of Jon Snow’s parentage. PPS - why hasn’t Howland featured?

The Iron Bank of Braavos runs the people who run the world. They employ the Faceless Men from time to time to pull the strings. Winter is coming. The Bank know the Others are returning, and that’s a threat to their world order. Instead of the Endless Summer, there is potential for an Endless Winter. The Bank’s knowledge stretches back through time – only they and the (as yet unexplored) leadership of the Citadel knows what comes next. The Bank relies on, inter alia, magic. The Citadel has done its best to stamp out magic (and probably created the 7 faced god – a manufactured yet credible and very practical version of religion, which has yet to show us any direct manifestation of its power/ability (unlike the red priests and the Old Gods)) - to aid transition to a secular society in the belief that the threat from the North will never again remerge.

Actually Braavos was founded only 200 years Before the Conquest, so it's doubtful they know that much about things that have been considered just stories for thousands of years.

PS – Howland Reid was at the Tower of Joy too – perhaps Meera knows the truth of Jon Snow’s parentage. PPS - why hasn’t Howland featured?

Because if he showed up in the first book there would be not much excitement about Jon Snow's parentage, about what happened at the ToJ, or the reasons why Ashara Dayne decided to commit suicide (if she did, which is contested).

We would know about King Robb Stark's will.

And so on.

thanks - but didn't the Bank's foundation pre-date the Doom (and it was founded Valyrians), so it's credible that it's vaults could store valuable knowledge dating back thousands of years (and the owners of that knowledge likely to have perished in the doom). The Bank wields enough power, so it would be remiss of them not to have resilience planning to deal with any potential threat to their power base (particularly as they will have learned lessons from the demise of Valyria).

I've just started re-reading the books, and Jaqen's presence in Westeros and his continued link to Arya seems odd. The Faceless Men don't seem the type to form affections, let alone offer themselves as free assassins (Rorge and Biter's lives are barely worth reimbursing!).

Archived