Shattered Sea Trilogy (aka 'So much for Abercrombie's sabbatical')

MisterOJ

I don't care if its branded as YA or not, Joe has earned enough credit in my ledgers to make picking these up when they come out a no brainer.

As long as it has Very Virile Vikings, of course.

This is going to be so fucking good. As Joe put it in his blog, he was burnt out on The First Law world, and wanted to try something entirely new.

This will be coming from an author who has had SIX fucking books to hone his craft, and the only things that will be toned down are the most extreme cases of cursing and bloody violence and rape, like Stranger-Come-Fucking. :)

And you won't even notice it, because it's Joe Abercrombie, and his books are ace, and we should all be thankful to have a JA book to read next year.

Vikings and Saxons? Hell yeah I'm pumped.

I hate to say it, but the cover was the main reason I picked up Best Served Cold (my intro to Abercrombie). If it had been the boring UK parchment cover instead of the US version with the hot sword wielding babe, I probably wouldn't have been so quick to pick it up.

Wtf, the UK covers for the books are things of beauty. Though the trilogy doesn't look quite as unusual as when it first came out (the three standalones are better designs overall, so they still stand out), I guess.

Also, someone earlier in the topic said this sounds a bit like Prince of Thorns: I wonder how Mark Lawrence will like Abercrombie being compared to him for a change.

Wtf, the UK covers for the books are things of beauty. Though the trilogy doesn't look quite as unusual as when it first came out (the three standalones are better designs overall, so they still stand out), I guess.

Also, someone earlier in the topic said this sounds a bit like Prince of Thorns: I wonder how Mark Lawrence will like Abercrombie being compared to him for a change.

It's time for Lord Grimdark to feel our pain.

To each, his own. I like the photorealistic US covers without the maps better than the UK versions.

It's time for Lord Grimdark to feel our pain.

:) Lord Grimdark of Southwest Englandcestershire.

To each, his own. I like the photorealistic US covers without the maps better than the UK versions.

That's why it makes sense for the publisher to try different covers, especially with the reprints. The point is to catch the attention of buyers and you don't need to sell the same book twice. Good to see that the approach works. I would throw a mini tantrum if new first law books came out that weren't in the traditional uk style though.

This explains why Joe was so quick to shoot me down when I erroneously claimed, in the Gaiman thread, that vikings were going to feature in Mr Gaiman's next book. I do like me some vikings so I'm looking forward to this one.

So it's like Prince of Thorns if Jorg was crippled by the thorn bush and didn't have a hateboner for 90% of humanity? ;)

Super excited for this! The protagonist sounds really cool. I agree with the above poster about feeling salty when peeps take potshots at YA; there's just as much room for intense emotions and awesome writing.

So it's like Prince of Thorns if Jorg was crippled by the thorn bush and didn't have a hateboner for 90% of humanity? ;)

Super excited for this! The protagonist sounds really cool. I agree with the above poster about feeling salty when peeps take potshots at YA; there's just as much room for intense emotions and awesome writing.

Only 89%

I hope we see a second Calder(not the same character, but as awsome as Calder)

• 4 weeks later...

The name of the YA series is The Black Chair Trilogy. Half a King will be published July 8, 2014.

http://edelweiss.abo...&sku=0804178321

From the New York Times bestselling author of Red Country comes Half a King, the first book in a stirring new epic fantasy trilogy. A blockbuster breakout that will appeal to fans of George R. R. Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, and Scott Lynch.
ACCELERATED SCHEDULE: Books two and three in The Black Chair Trilogy, the sequels Half the World and Half a War, will appear six months apart.

I thought Abercrombie had already made his "breakout". Unlike Joe's previous works, Black Chair might tempt some female fantasy readers:

WIDE APPEAL: Half a King will appeal to the longtime fans of Abercrombie’s dark, gritty style and thrilling, visceral plotting…but with its deeply lovable protagonist and emotional warmth will also appeal to a broader audience, from female fantasy fans to teen readers.

Unlike Joe's previous works, Black Chair might tempt some female fantasy readers:

Did Joe's previous works really have trouble with female readers? And with those that already love fantasy? That's surprising.

Well Joe I'm a female that loves all of your previous works (though I haven't forgiven you for Grim yet <_< ) and I can't wait to read any of your future work!

But I'd imagine that you know around these parts you have a sizable female fan base.

Well I think, to be fair to Joe, you should buy a set of books for each different permutation, and read them in every order. You can pretend there are secret messages just like playing albums backwards.

Archived