Shattered Sea Trilogy (aka 'So much for Abercrombie's sabbatical')

MisterOJ

Yay six months apart. And how dare you Mr. Abercrombie, thinking you have some kind of artistic license where you can go around changing things like the name of the entire project.

I was thinking Half a King by 2014, number 2 2015, number 3 2016, and I was hoping that meant Joe had committed to finishing the first book in the last trilogy of First Law by 2017. But with the six months numero 3 will be out by summer 2015.

Does this mean that you are really cranking out the pages, like a grimdarkomputer, and that we may see some Bayaz-Khalul action by 2016. Oh and Zacharius, he's a player, right? I need a JA fix, I may just need to go reread The Heroes.

Well I think, to be fair to Joe, you should buy a set of books for each different permutation, and read them in every order. You can pretend there are secret messages just like playing albums backwards.

Should I read The Blade Itself with the UK cover first? Or the American?

No such series title has been discussed with me. Usual placeholder bollocks.

Thanks for answering. I didn't think that Del Rey would invent a fake series title without asking the author. The Black Chair Trilogy sounded like a legit name.

• 2 months later...

Did Joe's previous works really have trouble with female readers? And with those that already love fantasy? That's surprising.

Well Joe I'm a female that loves all of your previous works (though I haven't forgiven you for Grim yet <_< ) and I can't wait to read any of your future work!

But I'd imagine that you know around these parts you have a sizable female fan base.

I can't answer generally, but my wife loved the First Law, and the standalones, as did the girlfriend of a close friend.

People seem to make these sort of statements about readerships without any data whatsoever, as though it's just obvious and incontestable. 'This seems to me a male kind of book and so obviously its readers must all be male because I said so.' I'm not sure where you'd get data on the gender of readers? Anecdotally, at events and suchlike, I see a pretty even split.

Just been watching "the Vikings" and it dawned on me that they have a lot in common with the northerners of TFL. Considering they are my favourite characters in TFL this bodes very well for this new series. Not that they are identical but I think there's enough in common for it to translate well.

People seem to make these sort of statements about readerships without any data whatsoever, as though it's just obvious and incontestable. 'This seems to me a male kind of book and so obviously its readers must all be male because I said so.' I'm not sure where you'd get data on the gender of readers? Anecdotally, at events and suchlike, I see a pretty even split.

Thanks for this comment.

As a female reader, its nice to be acknowledged. (Weird, that's not the bit I read with, anyway.)

Mind you, people are surprised I like Gemmell, too.

The worst is, now I'm getting older, when the kids who work at bookstores find me in SciFi/fantasy, assume I'm lost and try to steer me to cookbooks or romance before I'm ready !! :P

I was trying to find Joe's review of "Vikings" and stumbled upon this entry on his blog from 2 years ago about vikings and Skyrim. I think the interviewer may have planted an idea in Joe :P (no idea why the formatting changed the colours etc)

Ever consider working elements of Viking lore more heavily into your work? Why or why not? (I know Logen and the Northmen have a strong Viking/Anglo-Saxon feel about them, so feel free to elaborate on that.)

Well one of the cultures in my work takes some of its cues from Viking and Anglo-Saxon culture, a sort of strange combination of Norse fatalism and Yorkshire common sense with a big emphasis on warring, feasting, death and honour. But I don’t know that I’d ever want to go more self-consciously Viking. I tend to be more interested in the mindset than the scenery…

Cool that Joe still comes here! I wouldn't mind a less gritty one person pov book by him, definitely will check it out.

I know, despite being a rock star of the Fantasy world, he still finds time to grace us with his higher presence.

Really looking forward to these (as I've stated earlier). Have a feeling they'll be excellent reads.

From Robin Hobb:

Ended my journey on a note of high anxiety, however, as I raced through the airport and was the last person to board for the flight home. I could blame BA for the change in gates and the announcement that I apparently did not hear. That is the hazard of opening a new Joe Abercrombie book in the airport. I finished reading Half a King in record time and recommend it without reservation. You’ll have to jot that title down somewhere or remember it, as it isn’t in the shops yet. I was lucky enough to get an ARC (Advance Reading Copy.) Of course, if you haven’t read Joe Abercrombie before, you don’t have to wait. He has plenty of books out there. Heroes is one of my special favorites.

Archived