Shattered Sea Trilogy (aka 'So much for Abercrombie's sabbatical')

MisterOJ

You should intersperse one of these books between each of Abercrombie's other books, and be sure to read them in inverse alphabetical order.

Thanks. I was going to do exactly that actually. Problem is that I have read all of his previous books, so I need to figure out the appropriate order to unread them in, before rereading everything again.

Joe, por favor, fix it so that when I pre-ordered the hardcover version of 'Half a King' I get a discounted version of it on Kindle. I thought Amazon was supposed to implement something like that back in November, and that they announced that back in August or something of last year. Oh well.. Lord Grimdark, I call upon thee to right this wrong, and save me three or four US dollars! Please? :bowdown:

Yep, that's no problem. I'll just call up Bezos and get that sorted for you right away. Obviously I'll need your amazon account details, bank account details, date of birth, passport, driving licence, and a stool sample.

You're not the same Nigerian guy I gave all those details to over the phone earlier are you by any chance? I'm still waiting on my lottery winnings.

Who needs numbers? That's more of a Temple kind of thing to do.. Just go look at him and crack your knuckles while staring at his shiny bald head and then he'll finally notice your missing finger and wet himself. Dude is too busy working on fucking drones anyway. I did pre-order it today though! Color me excited. Or colour, as you Bathstards would say.

ETA: I can have that stool sample by tomorrow though. FedEx Overnight delivery okay with you?

The UK have gone for a bigger point size and narrower setting, which has produced a much bigger page count (370ish). The US have gone for smaller type, turning the book in a full 100 pages shorter.

At first I thought this said that the US version is only 100 pages compared to the UK's 370, so I imagined that either the UK one used a gigantic print size or the US version had an extremely tiny one, but then I finished the sentence and got disappointed...

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2014/01/25/half-the-world-finished-not/

So there’s a long way to go, a lot of things to add, a lot of things to cut, a lot of laborious filing and polishing and shaping, but it cannot be denied that I now have a complete draft of Half the World. And, what’s more, it’s not even my next book. Half a King is due out in July this year, and is completely finished, Advance Reader Copies going out to writers and reviewers even as we speak. Half the World is due in February 2015. Been a long, long time since I was a book ahead like this. Still, the last book in this trilogy, Half a War, is currently loosely slated for July 2015, which means getting that finished by the end of this year. No rest for the grimdark…

Joe seems to be doing well with this trilogy. (And I am now, actually looking forward to it, as opposed when it was first announced.)

But he (and pretty much all other fantasy novelists) pale in comparison to Sanderson when it comes to production rate.

I just came back from a week long cruise in the Caribbean, but I made the mistake of buying The First Law trilogy for my e-reader just before going. What a fabulous set of books! So great I lost beach time to reading! Well, I read by the pool, I didn't actually take the e-reader to the beach, but after reading rave reviews in different threads I thought I would likely get at least part way through the first book during the week. Instead I read books one and two and am halfway through the third.

I will certainly buy the Half a King series, I've always enjoyed YA fiction.

Or one could do the traditional interweb thing and not read anything and write abrasive post about how much he sucks.

(I keed, I keed.)

Just got through with Red Country and am rereading The Heroes. Have the FIRST LAW trilogy up for a reread; however, I may need a break.

He is the master of his trope, but I need some hero stuff every now and then.

Joe seems to be doing well with this trilogy. (And I am now, actually looking forward to it, as opposed when it was first announced.)

But he (and pretty much all other fantasy novelists) pale in comparison to Sanderson when it comes to production rate.

Joe often jokes on his blog about the machine that is Sanderson.

The preview for the the new book was good. You can tell it's still him writing but I'm interested in the Norse Mythology. I wonder how much is researched and how much is made up? If it's researched then it could be educational as well as entertaining - a bit like "the vikings" show.

Daniel Abraham is up there as well with his 3 novels per year (though one of which he co-writes).

a bit like "the vikings" show.

... That's not really that researched. There are a lot of obvious historical flaws that even I can spot and I'm not even that knowledgeable about Viking history.

[Not that that's an unforgivable sin or anything like that. Entertainment should come first in series like Vikings and Black Sails]

Archived