Shattered Sea Trilogy (aka 'So much for Abercrombie's sabbatical')

MisterOJ

Read this recently. Very enjoyable, but I wish it had some magic in it. Fantasy novels should have that.

And I knew from the beginning who Nothing was.

I guess it's more like alt-history if you think Fantasy has to have magic? I guess there was a distinct lack of magic though, I don't even recall any prophecies either.

I guess it's more like alt-history if you think Fantasy has to have magic? I guess there was a distinct lack of magic though, I don't even recall any prophecies either.

The only thing that was mentioned was that elves used to exist a long time ago, and they broke one supreme god into many gods.

How did you knew that? Was his true name and history even mentioned before?

It was mentioned more than once that Uthil was drowned at sea, and that he was the best swordsman of his age. And when the first thing you hear about Nothing is that he killed three guards only with a knife, it was fairly clear. There is a bit of Logen in Uthil.

This makes me sad.

Well, I remember it mentioned but I didn't gave much importance and then when he was revealed I was shocked.

It was mentioned more than once that Uthil was drowned at sea, and that he was the best swordsman of his age. And when the first thing you hear about Nothing is that he killed three guards only with a knife, it was fairly clear. There is a bit of Logen in Uthil.

Yep, cheers!

I knew that he he had an uncle who has drowned a lot of time ago but that's it.

Never made the connection myself. Kudos to you.

Without asking the author (he never answers this type of questions :P), do you think that the story was in a post apocalyptic Earth or not?

Without asking the author (he never answers this type of questions :P), do you think that the story was in a post apocalyptic Earth or not?

I'm not even sure that's debatable. Of course it is. I suspect Joe would even admit as much.

I'm not even sure that's debatable. Of course it is. I suspect Joe would even admit as much.

Now this, I will admit I didn't pick up on.

But then again, I'm one of those that didn't even realize that Wheel of Time was a future Earth either. :dunno:

Now this, I will admit I didn't pick up on.

But then again, I'm one of those that didn't even realize that Wheel of Time was a future Earth either. :dunno:

Was that ever confirmed? I know that the humanity of today might be people from The First Age for whom nothing is known and that the map of Wheel of Time while not near as identical as the map of the world, has some similarities (like the main continet which may be Europe which is linked to an even bigger continent, and then an another continent on the west (Saenchan/America) and an another on the Sourth (Land of the Madman/Africa) but that is all. Obviously the geography could have been changed when the Breaking happened, but still.

Was that ever confirmed? I know that the humanity of today might be people from The First Age for whom nothing is known and that the map of Wheel of Time while not near as identical as the map of the world, has some similarities (like the main continet which may be Europe which is linked to an even bigger continent, and then an another continent on the west (Saenchan/America) and an another on the Sourth (Land of the Madman/Africa) but that is all. Obviously the geography could have been changed when the Breaking happened, but still.

Yes, there are plenty of examples. Just a few being in Eye of the World when Moiraine is asked if Merc and Mosc were really Giants who fought with spears of flame. (America and Moscow with rockets.) And somebody flying to the moon in the belly of an Eagle (Neil Armstrong "The Eagle has landed.). Later on in a museum one of the super girls finds a three pointed star in a circle made of something softer than metal and detects vanity from a previous owner. (Mercedes emblem)

I figured out pretty early that the 'elves' were humans from an earlier age and all that. I still suck at figuring out references. Pretty sure the Circle Sea is the Mediterranean, though there are two rivers mentioned in Half the World that I just know I am going to cringe when someone points out their obvious comparisons. Also can't figure out what one of these relics is (though I have aout 50 pages left so maybe it is yet to be revealed).

Yes, there are plenty of examples. Just a few being in Eye of the World when Moiraine is asked if Merc and Mosc were really Giants who fought with spears of flame. (America and Moscow with rockets.) And somebody flying to the moon in the belly of an Eagle (Neil Armstrong "The Eagle has landed.). Later on in a museum one of the super girls finds a three pointed star in a circle made of something softer than metal and detects vanity from a previous owner. (Mercedes emblem)

Thanks. The Mercedes sign I remember but thought that it is just a coincidense. Have to say that I haven't recognized the other two references.

Given the whole Scandinavian-ness feel of the culture, it's more likely the Baltic than the Med.

The map does definitely have a lot of similarity to the Baltic (and nothing at all like the Mediterranean), although it's not a perfect match. Even some of the names are familiar, I think there was a city called Lunangad where Leningrad should have been.

The map does definitely have a lot of similarity to the Baltic (and nothing at all like the Mediterranean), although it's not a perfect match. Even some of the names are familiar, I think there was a city called Lunangad where Leningrad should have been.

I'm pretty sure it is the Baltic, but with reduced sea-levels.

Archived