Shattered Sea Trilogy (aka 'So much for Abercrombie's sabbatical')

MisterOJ

love it, a cracking tale, fast and furious and with a great cast.. a step up on half a king and tipping away from the YA tag imo.. I was a bit surprised at the growth Yavri has shown for the chronological time.. colder and way more calculating, not so likable..

I am constantly surprised by Joe's ability to produce such high quality in a relatively short period of time.. Very.... Abrahamish....

Maybe Daniel is very abercrombieish!!

Collected my copy of Half a Ki.d and signed copy of Half the World this morning. Have a week off next week so I'm planning to read them then.

So is it just the ebook that has a later release date? Or is it the US release date that is later too? Just because Waterstones seemed pretty well stocked with hard copies when I was there

ETA: Its also stocked as Fantasy rather than YA, although that discussion seems to be over for the most part.

It's been a while since I've worn one of those, but do they actually shine bright enough to be seen through a closed fist, with "bones showing black inside"?

I could be wrong of course. But, I took the light to be the light of a luminous watch. The reference to it "still working" and "moving circles" implied a watch to me. What do you think it is?

I could be wrong of course. But, I took the light to be the light of a luminous watch. The reference to it "still working" and "moving circles" implied a watch to me. What do you think it is?

I have honestly no idea what it could be, but the description simply doesn't scream 'wristwatch' to me. "Circles within circles slowly shifting" doesn't evoke the hands of a watch in my mind, plus it changes colour and the fact that it can't be opened is also a bit weird. I mean, clearly the people of the Shattered Sea have forgotten a lot, but they do have stuff like locks and belts, surely they could figure out how to take off a wristwatch?

I'd say it's something a lot more sci-fi/magical than anything else seen so far.

I have honestly no idea what it could be, but the description simply doesn't scream 'wristwatch' to me. "Circles within circles slowly shifting" doesn't evoke the hands of a watch in my mind, plus it changes colour and the fact that it can't be opened is also a bit weird. I mean, clearly the people of the Shattered Sea have forgotten a lot, but they do have stuff like locks and belts, surely they could figure out how to take off a wristwatch?

I'd say it's something a lot more sci-fi/magical than anything else seen so far.

It may tell the time, but it's clearly more than just a wristwatch - the fact that the colours change according to the wearer's emotions should make that obvious. Elf magic may well be sufficiently advanced technology from our POV as well as that of the characters.

I got it at Waterstones in Durham early. Same with the Autumn republic by Brian Mccellan and Guns of Dawn by Adrian.

Bloody hell - forgot to even check for the new Tchaikovsky one.

On the bright side I now have a signed copy of HTW. Forbidden Planet were also kind enough to provide a £3 discount so I'll forgive them being late with the release.

Archived