No News from SDCC

Westeros

<p>The <em>Game of Thrones</em> panel at <a href="http://www.comic-con.org/">San Diego Comic-Con</a> has drawn to a close, and unlike last year&mdash;where a number of new cast members were unveiled at the event&mdash;there&rsquo;s really no season 4 news to speak of. The host of actors, as well as the executive producers and George R.R. Martin, discussed the seasons that have come before and their various experiences, but season 4 remained a largely ignored topic. There&rsquo;s no premiere date information, and certainly no new casting appearances. That said, there&rsquo;s some amusing anecdotes, and GRRM remarks that if he were ever to write prequels to the series (after he&rsquo;s done with it), it&rsquo;d probably be about Aegon and his sisters, or perhaps Aegon the Unworthy.</p>

<p>Alan Sepinwall has a great <a href="http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/comic-con-2013-game-of-thrones-panel-live-blog">recap</a>, including the bit where Jason Momoa crashed the panel briefly, to much acclaim.</p>

<p>A deleted scene from season 3&mdash;which will certainly be on the Bluray (US: <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-Complete-Third-Season/dp/B00C8CQRQ4/westeros-20">DVD</a>, <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-Complete-Third-Season/dp/B00C8CQTJY/westeros-20">Bluray</a>. UK: <a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Thrones-Season-3-DVD/dp/B00AQGE43M/westeros-21">DVD</a>, <a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Thrones-Season-3-DVD/dp/B00AQGE55E/westeros-21">Bluray</a>)&mdash;was aired for fans, featuring Tywin and Pycelle ...</p>

<p>And one other video, an &ldquo;In Memoriam&rdquo; piece for those characters who&rsquo;ve departed the show, which you can see below:</p>

<strong><a href="http://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/No_News_from_SDCC">read on &gt;&gt;&gt;</a></strong>

Visit the Site!

The In Memoriam video was pretty boss, especially the way some of the characters are identified ("Random Wight," "Robert's Bastard #1," "Baratheon Soldier #587," "Old Dude," Mean Stark Soldiers," etc.).

Neither Benjen nor Syrio were featured among the fallen in the In Memoriam video (which admittedly left some people off the list: Mathos, the Lannister squires, etc.), even though you'd think Syrio would come after Septa Mordane (since their deaths would have happened one right after the other). Hee.

Somehow I doubt that the intern who put that slideshow together knows the inside details of GRRM's plans. ;)

Hahaha, yeah, but I thought it was funny.

I'm not reading anything into the

inclusion of Catelyn

either.

A bit peeved about Robb Stark being labeled in the video as "King of the North." Yeah, no. I'm also kind of pressed that Jory Cassel got left off the "Stark allies" list in the "sad" part of the video which showed the characters and not their deaths, although I admit Jaime stabbing him through the eye was one of the more eye-catching deaths of Season 1.

...Man, a lot of characters have died in Dany's storyline, haven't they?

I think the moderator did a really bad job here, So David, what can we expect for season 4? How hard is that?

And why have ten people on the panel? Some actors spoke for less than 30 seconds.

I agree. With GRRM being a part of the panel and not hosting, and with both D&D's there rather than one of them sitting out, there just seemed to be a lot of rehashing the same old stuff. Elvis Mitchell did a good job as host, given the time he had. But the previous two seasons with GRRM hosting just seemed more engaging.

And given the relatively short amount of time they had, there was no need to have 10 people on the panel. John Bradley only got one question for goodness sake. Yea, it's fun seeing a lot of the actors in one place. But I can't help but think it would have been much more engaging if they only had about 6 or 7.

They also didn't do nearly enough discussion on the upcoming seasons. Kit had one comment in which he talked about Jon trying to take a greater leadership role in the NW. But that was it.

Dinklage did have some great insight on Tywin and his children, about how each of them had good qualities but Tywin probably wishes those could be consolidated in one person rather than spread out among the three of them.

Overall though, when two or three thirty second statements are all that I really enjoyed in the course of a 45 minute panel, I can't help but be disappointed.

I think we didn't get any casting news simply because they haven't cast most of the new characters and there aren't that many new characters to begin with. Oberyn has already been announced and Mark Gatiss has been kept under wraps for whatever reason.

The only other major new character this season is Mace and possibly Arianne.

I don't know how long the deleted scene with Julian Glover and Charles Dance was, but it's odd that there was the announcement , before season 3, that each episode would run 5 or a few mins. more, and then season 3 comes out shorter than season 1.

Dave and Dan said the scene didn't fit, I don't see that, and it was good!

Seems Glover had less screen time this season than 1 or 2 and he had complained to Dave and Dan about lack of time for Maester Pycelle.

Dave and Dan seem to make some odd choices every now and then .

I think we didn't get any casting news simply because they haven't cast most of the new characters and there aren't that many new characters to begin with. Oberyn has already been announced and Mark Gatiss has been kept under wraps for whatever reason.

The only other major new character this season is Mace and possibly Arianne.

Well, assuming they're not cut or delayed, there are

- Euron Greyjoy

- Victarion Greyjoy

- Aeron Greyjoy (Gatiss???)

- Donal Noye (please please please don't cut him!)

- a few Meereenese nobles (Hizdahr zo Loraq, the Shavepate?, the Seneschal? the Green Grace?)

- Brown Ben Plumm

- Coldhands

Well, assuming they're not cut or delayed, there are

- Euron Greyjoy

- Victarion Greyjoy

- Aeron Greyjoy (Gatiss???)

- Donal Noye (please please please don't cut him!)

- a few Meereenese nobles (Hizdahr zo Loraq, the Shavepate?, the Seneschal? the Green Grace?)

- Coldhands

Of those imo: Aeron, Victarion and Euron are all going to be either cut or delayed, Donal Noye is unlikely to make the cut as much as I'd like him to be in and CH will be kept very much under wraps. Dany's story seems to be up in the air. If they have her ruling Yunkai rather than repetitively taking another city then I'd say Hizdahr and the Green Grace would be in, with Skahaz being likely as well. However it's possible that they will have Dany taking Meereen in S4, in which case Hizdahr and co. might be possibly make the cut, but not necessarily.

So for all we know almost none of those you've listed will be cast. I also don't know any shooting times so it may be filming in certain locations haven't started yet and thus they haven't cast the characters from those stories. I'm not surprised they didn't announce Styr (Hey look, another grumpy wildling!) but am surprised they haven't cast Mace yet and didn't announce it. Perhaps they thought that there was no point making a big do of it with just one name to announce.

Of those imo: Aeron, Victarion and Euron are all going to be either cut or delayed, Donal Noye is unlikely to make the cut as much as I'd like him to be in and CH will be kept very much under wraps. Dany's story seems to be up in the air. If they have her ruling Yunkai rather than repetitively taking another city then I'd say Hizdahr and the Green Grace would be in, with Skahaz being likely as well. However it's possible that they will have Dany taking Meereen in S4, in which case Hizdahr and co. might be possibly make the cut, but not necessarily.

So for all we know almost none of those you've listed will be cast. I also don't know any shooting times so it may be filming in certain locations haven't started yet and thus they haven't cast the characters from those stories. I'm not surprised they didn't announce Styr (Hey look, another grumpy wildling!) but am surprised they haven't cast Mace yet and didn't announce it. Perhaps they thought that there was no point making a big do of it with just one name to announce.

Even tho I know what you mean , taking Meereen need not be repetitive. Tho they sort of semi-used the Meereen ploy with Yunkai , with imagination the conquest would be interesting.

I never noticed in the book that it seemed repetitive, seemed a logical development.

Problem is the battle for the Wall is going to be the feature, resources for doing a VFX job on Meereen are up to HBO....

I would hate to see them leave out Meereen, but how the heck they develop Dany's story there, whew! , I can't guess.

I don't know how long the deleted scene with Julian Glover and Charles Dance was, but it's odd that there was the announcement , before season 3, that each episode would run 5 or a few mins. more, and then season 3 comes out shorter than season 1.

Dave and Dan said the scene didn't fit, I don't see that, and it was good!

Seems Glover had less screen time this season than 1 or 2 and he had complained to Dave and Dan about lack of time for Maester Pycelle.

Dave and Dan seem to make some odd choices every now and then .

Have you seen the Tywin/Pycelle scene? Where can I find it?

Archived