If Drogo Invaded Westeros *long*

I seriously doubt its under Robert Baratheons rule. By the time Drogo would have found the ships and sailed across the sea it would probably be around the time of ASOS. In which case there wouldn't be any counter fleet to stop them. Every one would be far to busy fighting each other to deal with the Dothraki fleet.

This is going to involve Drogo working with at least one of the Free Cities to build his fleet, while convincing his Khalasar to stay together and not raid that city, whilst also convincing them to actually get on the ships once they are built. Considering this ASOS seems like a very early time for them to arrive, I think they would be more likely to come across and find themselves fighting the very united Others.

I'm more interested in the question of who in Westeros would fight on the Dothgaryen team!

For instance, Viserys thought the Greyjoys would rise for him. Now, he was probably wrong, but still, if Balon's opportunism happened to lead him in that direction...how amazingly hilariously brutal would the Dothraki-Ironborn horde be!?

We may find out, in fact, quite soon, if Dany gets around to landing with her unusually composed forces...

I'm more interested in the question of who in Westeros would fight on the Dothgaryen team!

For instance, Viserys thought the Greyjoys would rise for him. Now, he was probably wrong, but still, if Balon's opportunism happened to lead him in that direction...how amazingly hilariously brutal would the Dothraki-Ironborn horde be!?

We may find out, in fact, quite soon, if Dany gets around to landing with her unusually composed forces...

No one in westeros would fight for the losing side.

Well maybe dorne would aid them financially but they won't go as far as giving them troops

People keep talking about castles as if the Dothraki would simply slam their heads into the brick walls because they don't know what else to do. Essos has castles too and the Dothraki have basically made most of the free cities their bitch. Siege equipment can be built and tactics planned out especially with the help of Dorne.

Lands of Ice and Fire shows three Lhazareen cities that are still inhabited, with fortifications around them. It's made clear that the Dothraki don't understand siegecraft, although if they did have allies in Westeros, that could be remedied. WRT the Free Cities, Tyrion commented to Illyrio that a well-trained host could fall on a Khalasar and cut it to bits. That begs the question why the Free Cities prefer to pay protection money. In my view, it's down to the importance that the Dothraki have in connection with the slave trade. Huge vested interests in the Free Cities and Slavers' Bay depend on the Dothraki mounting vast raids for slaves and then selling them on. By comparison, the subsidies that are paid to the Dothraki are probably trivial

I doubt anyone would, not even Dorne. Who in their right mind (I'm sure we can all agree that Viserys wasn't) would want Dothraki on Westeros? If they don't there would be tiny Khalasars all over the 7K pissing everyone off, and if they did win there would be one massive Khalasar going round pissing everyone off, they aren't going to stop being Dothrakhi just because they win you know.

Lands of Ice and Fire shows three Lhazareen cities that are still inhabited, with fortifications around them. It's made clear that the Dothraki don't understand siegecraft, although if they did have allies in Westeros, that could be remedied. WRT the Free Cities, Tyrion commented to Illyrio that a well-trained host could fall on a Khalasar and cut it to bits. That begs the question why the Free Cities prefer to pay protection money. In my view, it's down to the importance that the Dothraki have in connection with the slave trade. Huge vested interests in the Free Cities and Slavers' Bay depend on the Dothraki mounting vast raids for slaves and then selling them on. By comparison, the subsidies that are paid to the Dothraki are probably trivial

This is a very good point.

The Dothraki aren't mongols god dammit!!!

The Dothraki have no armor,The Mongols did have armor,the Dothraki don't have heavy cavalry or infantry the Mongols did,The Dothraki are just unarmored horse archers,The Westerosi Heavy cavalry would have united under Bob and thrown them back into the sea if they were lucky and if they still fought back there would be a Dothraki genocide.

Well beyond this, the Mongols incorporated other nationalities into their military to correct deficiencies, such as Chinese siege engineers. The Dothraki would have sold them into slavery rather than using them.

What do we see the Dothraki actually do? Attack the Lamb People, that's what. A bunch of pacifists. When they go against Unsullied, we're told that they are ineffective. Unsullied are very well-trained light infantry.

You realize Drogo and Bob died within two weeks of each other right??

The premise of the thread is that Drogo goes to Westeros as he promised after Viserys's death,Which would mean that Bob is alive.

Exactly. Drogo may not have died but Robert still would have. Drogo's death wasn't connected to Roberts. It would have taken months to either force or convince a city to let Drogo use their ships. It would take another half a year just to build and organize the ships to be ready for the voyage. By the time Drogo finally gets to Westeros Robert would be long dead and the rebellion in full swing.

Exactly. Drogo may not have died but Robert still would have. Drogo's death wasn't connected to Roberts. It would have taken months to either force or convince a city to let Drogo use their ships. It would take another half a year just to build and organize the ships to be ready for the voyage. By the time Drogo finally gets to Westeros Robert would be long dead and the rebellion in full swing.

Drogo died,This whole thread has been a wasted exercise.

Who in their right mind (I'm sure we can all agree that Viserys wasn't) would want Dothraki on Westeros?

There are two answers to this -

1 seriously bitter and desperate Targaryen loyalists, if any still exist after seventeen years of peace,

2 the Ironborn, obviously! What more propitious situation for the resumption of the Old Way could there be than Dothraki distracting everyone, like Dagmar Cleftjaw's raid on a massive scale?

Viserys might just have been right - though not for the reasons he imagined.

Dothraki tactics are no doubt fine on their steppes, where they have thousands of square miles to manoeuvre on horseback, and where they can constantly withdraw from a heavily-armed enemy, while showering them with arrows.

Actually they cannot even do that since as far GRRM has shown they don't use a string of remounts - they are no better than any other light cavalry. Given the lack of any heavy horse even in the steppe they could be beat by Westros army.

All this medieval techno babel is silly. It's Fantasy. The characters in the book take the Dothraki horde seriously, The threat they pose should be taken seriously by the reader.

Mobile guerrilla armies have been causing havoc for centuries. There are hundreds of examples of mobile, albeit vastly inferior technologically advanced forces, causing fits against the better equiped, but clunky larger force.They are a warrior people united by a beast of a man.

The Dothraki aren't mongols god dammit!!!

The Dothraki have no armor,The Mongols did have armor,the Dothraki don't have heavy cavalry or infantry the Mongols did,The Dothraki are just unarmored horse archers,The Westerosi Heavy cavalry would have united under Bob and thrown them back into the sea if they were lucky and if they still fought back there would be a Dothraki genocide.

Dothraki are not Mongols and Drogo is not Subutai. Mongols campaigned in the winter, using frozen rivers as roads. I dont know how the Dothraki sea looks in winter, but by the looks of it, Dothraki are not very familiar with cold weather. They dont know how to siege, Mongols did.

They would do some damage, but long term conquering would not happen. In the long run, it would be disastrous for the Dothraki.

So now we have a quote from Martin claiming what many of us already new. The Dothraki were in fact based on Mongols and Huns. The Dothraki will likely do what the Huns and Mongols did, adapt.

Not to mention that I don't think anyone in the series except for Viserys and perhaps, Drogo, seriously entertained the possibility that an army comprised of solely Dothraki horsemen could ever effectively conquer the 7K. I generally inferred that the motivation for getting the Dothraki army was to have a army, which would, upon landing, hopefully encourage potential allies to come forwards with forces as well rather than just showing up in the 7K all herpaderpicanhazkingdomplz

Robert and the small counsel seem to take the threat seriously enough. While I doubt they could have conquered the 7K they could have spread havoc across the land.

So now we have a quote from Martin claiming what many of us already new. The Dothraki were in fact based on Mongols and Huns. The Dothraki will likely do what the Huns and Mongols did, adapt.

I suggest you read the full paragraph he says that the Mongols got disciplined and advanced at one stage.

The Dothraki are like the early steppe riders that were present in mongolia but they aren't the Mongols who struck fear into half the world.

All this medieval techno babel is silly. It's Fantasy. The characters in the book take the Dothraki horde seriously, The threat they pose should be taken seriously by the reader.

Thoroughly agreed on this, though arguing from the evidence of Jorah or Barristan versus lightly armoured foes is much more valid. But yes, I think it'd be close, especially in the field. Many heavily-armoured Crusader bones still rust and rot under the plains of Anatolia...

Mobile guerrilla armies have been causing havoc for centuries. There are hundreds of examples of mobile, albeit vastly inferior technologically advanced forces, causing fits against the better equiped, but clunky larger force.They are a warrior people united by a beast of a man.

Guerilla armies are indigenous, acting against invading or occupying forces. This doesn't describe the Dothraki if they ever got to Westeros, which is highly unlikely, even in a fantasy.

The Dothraki would have mostly destroyed any field armies of the seven kingdoms. They have the tactics and the weapons (don't dismiss them). Armored knights represented a very small portion of the armies (500 out of 50.000 men for example, a mere 1%) and because of their armors, while fierce when meeting the enemy, the tactics of the nomadic armies means that they will rarely be efficient when used against hit-and-run tactics.

The dothraki have neither the tactics nor the tacticians to beat a Westerosi army. Rhaegar has 4000 knights at the Trident out of 40000, Robb had a few thousand and the percentage is higher in the rich armies of the Reach and West. Tywin raises 20000 men at the Green Fork, of which well over 5000 are heavy cavalry

Robert and the small counsel seem to take the threat seriously enough. While I doubt they could have conquered the 7K they could have spread havoc across the land.

If they broke straight away into many small groups yes. But as a big group no

Who in the small council takes them seriously? As far as i recall the only man with military experience who feared them was Robert. And id call into question how much they actually know about the Dothraki-has Robert ever met one? Does he know how they fight, their lack of armor, fear of the sea etcetc?

Archived