Irrational love and hate

RhaenysBee

I've always had irrational love for certain characters while I hated others for no particular reason.

Obviously human nature is not designed to have rational thinking and feelings, so strictly speaking no love or hate for a character can be rational. But if we just ignore all the scientific details of human nature, with most characters we can name a reason why we love or hate them.

Doesn't even need to be hate or love, just indifference or like or dislike play also.

So, with most of the kid characters, we don't know much about them, save for the Stark kids...

And yet, I have an unexplainable and passionate affection for Rhaenys Targaryen. While, I'm completely, and similarly irrationally, indifferent when it comes to Rickon Stark or Aegon Targaryen or Myrcella, not to mention unexplainable dislike for Tommen or Bran. All the while, the little Crying Girl (with Arya and co.) totally stole my heart along with Mance Rayder's son and Gilly's son.

Beside children, I have an irrational and strong dislike for Jaqen H'ghar or Jorah Mormont... while I can't quite explain what I like in someone like Roose Bolton.

Your irrational Faves and UnFaves or just any thoughts?

Perhaps in an almost hipsterish manner I find myself drawn to Darkstar. I rather dislike Arya but she's ok I guess.

I also seem incredibly enamoured with Randa Royce despite her minimal screen time and realised not long ago that I'm a Jatin shipper.

I can't quite explain what I like in someone like Roose Bolton.

You don't need to explain that. There are two types of people on the forums: Those who love Roose, and those who have yet to realize their love for Roose.

Perhaps in an almost hipsterish manner I find myself drawn to Darkstar.

That would be because he is of the night.

Anyway.. I irrationally love Renly, and irrationally hate Margaery. God knows why.

Irrational love for:

Roose (Probably because Bruce Irvin went to my school and after every big play we would yell "BRUUUUUCE." When Roose stabbed Robb at the RW, all my friends stood up and yelled ROOOOOOSE!!!)

Hosteen Frey. I just love the character.

Areo Hotah

The amount of love I have for Victarion Greyjoy is irrational in itself.

How can you dislike Bran!?

I like (F)Aegon and Rhaegar even though we know hardly anything about them, but I think it's because I like Targs.

I also praise Ser Arthur Dayne. I always say he's the best fighter in ASOIAF.

You don't need to explain that. There are two types of people on the forums: Those who love Roose, and those who have yet to realize their love for Roose.

You seem to forget those who hate the guts out of Roose for killing Robb Stark the King in the Starks and betraying The North!

I can't explain why, but I love Theon and I want him to...do better. I am a fan of lost causes, I guess.

I love Areo Hotah and his loyalty to the Martells.

I hate Little Walder, but I suspect my feelings are rational.

And I find myself loving Gemma Lannister, 'cause she tells it like it is.

i have an irrational admiration for Rickard Stark (i think of him the way i think of my grandfather)

I actually rather dislike Rickard and Hoster too for that matter. Perhaps because of the whole Southron Ambitions stuff. (No offense to your grandfather :P )

Well, for me I've always liked secondary characters better for some reason. Tormund, The Greatjon, most of the Nightswatch guys, Dany's blood riders, even shitmouth I find more interesting than most of the main characters. I know I'm probably alone in this, but I never cared much for Robb or Catelyn. I find Dany annoying and in all honesty I could care less who sits on the iron throne. No reasoning other than my own personal choices.

Haha, I know :D In the beginning I was quite surprised to find a Roose Bolton Fan Club on the forum, but guys are so funny preaching Roose love all the time :D

I have an irrational dislike of Arya. Many people have tried to convince me otherwise, but their efforts are futile.

So that happens.... Same thing for me with Bran... I mean he's a cute kid too, but ah... he is boring and not cute and... I just don't know. That's the point of irrational dislike.

How can you dislike Bran!?

I like (F)Aegon and Rhaegar even though we know hardly anything about them, but I think it's because I like Targs.

I also praise Ser Arthur Dayne. I always say he's the best fighter in ASOIAF.

Yup, me too. A part of me wants him to be real, because it'd be so awesome. Rhaegar is another story, I can go into very long details what I love about him, but you are basically right saying that we don't really know enough to "rationally" like him. But Rhaegar has been, is and will always be my No. 2. Greatest ASOIAF Crush, and I can't do anything about that.

As for Bran, I'm sorry about that, I really can't say what I dislike in him, it's just... somehow I don't like him.

For whatever reason, I like Podrick Payne a lot. Skinny, stammering 12 year old who manages to off a King's Guardsman. Flip side of that, I am frustrated to death by Sam. The guy has a lot going but refuses to take positive action unless he's absolutely forced to do so.

Archived