Irrational love and hate

RhaenysBee

Irrational love: Cercei. I love her, she fascinates me to no end.

Also, I irrationally like Drogo and to me his death was heart-wrenching (to the point that I can't read it for a second time).

edited for spelling

I have an irrational love for King Bob

Same, I like Robert allot, I just think he was great. I know as king he wasnt the best, and that he treated cersei badly. But I cant get over my like for him.

As for hate, the only irrational hate I have is for targs. I really cant stand any of them. They have to be the worst house in westeros history and I hope they go extinct. I have been unimpressed with anything any of them have ever done. The sum total of their accomplishment is having a few dragons.

I love young Robert, but not the fat, drunken, abusive incompetent oaf that he became, it makes me really sad to think he was once a competent warrior, jolly, enjoyed life, was young and handsome and a good friend. Also the bit about him laughing and chucking Mya up in the air tugs at my heart :crying:

I have a strong dislike of Khal Drogo, to the degree that I didn't feel anything when he died and Dany's admiration of him is one of the main things that I dislike about her.

I have a strong dislike of Khal Drogo, to the degree that I didn't feel anything when he died and Dany's admiration of him is one of the main things that I dislike about her.

but thats not irrational at all :)

I don't think loving or hating a character is always irrational. It makes logical sense to love some characters, like Arya, and logical sense to hate other characters, like Cersei. So I'm going to limit myself to characters who I hate even though I should probably like them and characters who I love even though I should at a minimum dislike them.

Irrational love: Jaime, Melisandre, Littlefinger

Irrational hatred: Barristan, Rickon, Tyrion

I think my love/hate for characters is pretty rational, but I tend to get grief when I express my complete and utter hatred for Samwell.

I won't try to change your mind but I learned a hint on this forum. I loathed Theon and someone on the board here told me I was wrong about him being inherently evil. So on my second read through, I didn't fly through Theon/Reek's chapters, I read them slowly and read every word. I was surprised at how much I missed because I couldn't stand him. On my first reading, I had just glossed over all the terrible recollections Theon had from his first 10 years of his life. Once a spark of compassion grew, I began to understand WHY he acted the way he did.

If you re-read Sam someday, don't gloss over his memories. A lot more people than Randyll abused him in his hometown. I think Randyll set the tone on how Sam should be treated and everyone else fell in line ( except his Mom. Although turning a blind eye could be construed as abuse, as would be over-feeding your child to compensate for something ).

PS: The Sam loves books! See, you have something in common!

Also, I irrationally like Drogo and to me his death was heart-wrenching (to the point that I can't read it for a second time).

edited for spelling

Dont we all?

Drogo I mean.

It's very rational. He's a jerk who never accepts responsibility for his action and embodies much of what it is to be a Nice Guy.

+1

The only source of appreciation I feel for him is that one line where he talks about how there's a beast in every man which stirs when you put a sword in his hand. And even then he's using it to argue that Dany should fund terrorism buy a giant slave army. And I'm not even certain it's a line from the book.

edited for spelling

I love Drogo, but I can totally explain it, so I don't believe there's anything irrational about my love for him.

Forgot to mention the Kettleblacks, I really hate them as well. They're just such pointless characters, nothing more than paws. I really do hope they get executed.

Omg. Thanks, I forgot the Kettleblacks! Earlier, I could only name irrational hate since my love is all rational.

Except in the case of Kettleblacks, the Mediocre Sword, Jaw & Hair Brothers. I have irrational love for them. Really. I simply love them with absolutely no reason at all (obviously, since there can't be any reason to love them). I really need to go now and find the chapter where one of them is pretending to know how to read the document he's holding :lmao:

ETA

Roose Bolton love is not irrational, that's why I'm not mentioning him.

I hate Aeron Damphair and the High Sparrow irrationally just because they are zealots but not for the Old Gods of the north. It doesn't make sense because I don't worship the Old Gods but I hate their self-righteous BS even though they're humans like everyone else. Though I will admit, I started to like the Sparrow some after he humiliated Cersei.

I love Bloodraven, tree-human corpse hybrids are hot; but in all seriousness, I love the witty snark in The Mystery Knight and the wistful, melancholic persona in AWD. I hate Tywin, but I wouldn't call this irrational for my reasons for this are perfectly valid.

i am assuming the starks are gryffindors?

Nah, the Stark's haven't got the fire to be gryffindors. The Baratheon's attitude fits better imo.

It's very rational. He's a jerk who never accepts responsibility for his action and embodies much of what it is to be a Nice Guy.

I'm not too keen on Jorah myself, but how is he a Nice Guy? Maybe I've got my definitions wrong but isn't a "Nice Guy" a guy who acts all entitled to a girl and then turns nasty when he gets turned down? Seems to me Jorah's remains at Dany's side despite being rejected. Not that the entitled slaver is a particularly great guy, I just don't think that particular flaw can be levied at him.

Archived