New Jersey

Alas, so many conflicts with the events! The least of which being my wedding... :rolleyes:

Actually, I could probably do Wicked Faire, if anyone else was planning on attending.

Congratulations!!!!! ....Health and Happiness to you both! .... We'll see you at WickedFaire, and buy you both a wedding drink :)

I'm a regular at PhilCon, usually on a few panels every year as well as merely attending.

I also organize a Saturday night dinner expedition from Philcon to a nearby place

where the chef is an old friend: http://www.sapori.info

(The X's can vouch for the wonders of the food there...as can Zagat, which rated it the best

Italian in the entire state last year.)

Anyone attending this year's Philcon is welcome to join me with advance notice.

So bummed that I'm going to miss this - I'll be settling into my new digs in Park City! I can also vouch for the wonders of Sapori - as I used to live around the corner. See also: BYO.

Anyone want to do a day trip to the Ironbound in Newark? Real sangria, carbs, meat, carbs, sugar, more alcohol. Yum.

Given that I work in downtown Newark, and can walk to most of the restaurants, this sounds good barring a conflict with the selected date. My favorite is Fornos, but any will do just fine.

For the geographically challenged, the Ironbound is immediately east of Newark Penn Station, so easy to get to by train or bus.

Seabra's Marisqueira is DELICIOUS, and the servings are so huge that they lend towards family-style eating. Really authentic Portuguese food.

But a Brazilian place would be just as good.

My main concern is getting a hold on some egg tarts at a Portuguese bakery. As someone mentioned this weekend at Capclave, egg tarts are what flan wants to be when it grows up.

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/potd-porteggtarts.jpg

I may be going to Chiller this year but won't know for a while yet.

Any up date on this as it would be wonderful to see you again!

We'll be at Chiller also... as it gets closer, maybe get a time and place for everyone to be at the hotel bar?

We'll be there about 3 or 4 on Friday. We are meeting other friends too, so I am not sure of the exact schedule. I am going to bring a tablet, so feel free to PM me.

I found I was bored 90% of the time, but I expected that. I prefer the literary type conventions much better.

And I don't find huge crowds a blast either.

I mean, it didn't totally suck, but there wasn't much to "do" during the day. (shop and pay for a minute with a "star") Only one I did meet was Scott Wilson (Hershel from "The Walking Dead") and that was just because the husband wanted to meet him and Scott Wilson said I could take my picture with him for a hug ;)

Glad you had a good time though. The husband also had blast. :)

I found I was bored 90% of the time, but I expected that. I prefer the literary type conventions much better.

And I don't find huge crowds a blast either.

I mean, it didn't totally suck, but there wasn't much to "do" during the day. (shop and pay for a minute with a "star") Only one I did meet was Scott Wilson (Hershel from "The Walking Dead") and that was just because the husband wanted to meet him and Scott Wilson said I could take my picture with him for a hug ;)

Glad you had a good time though. The husband also had blast. :)

Yeah... this really appeals to my inner nerd, but i get ya... I also love literary events (I'm a published author) ... but I'm in a different mental place when I hack around a convention like this... my wife and i laughed our asses off... and some of the cosplayers were awesome.

Our lives are about where the dumb laughs are easiest to find :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to Quizzo again at the Blue Monkey in Merchantville, NJ on tues 11/12 at 7:30 - please feel free to join me!

It's Harry Potter Quizzo this week. Last time they ran it we had an all BwB team of 2 (me and Plus One) and we came in 2nd place. I have about 4 folks coming this time but have space left on the team if anyone wants to join us. You don't need to know anything about Potter - the 4 of us are pretty well versed - but general trivia knowledge is always welcomed!

Hope to see some BwB @ the Monkey. If you plan to attend, please let me know as I'll need to reserve a table. :cheers:

• 2 months later...

Well Jersey folks... we have a couple of genre-friendly events coming up in Somerset ... Feb 21st-23rd... and if anyone is attending, the wife & I are sure to be there:

Wicked Faire http://wickedfaire.com/

and Voltaire's Wicked NecroComicCon http://necrocomiccon.com/

Both evets are coordinated so as to run simulateously, right next door to one another... is anyone planning on attending?

Archived