Hot springs in Winterfell

They were mentioned in a game of thrones to establish the fact that they were there, and that this would be a contributing factor to the strength of house Stark in olden times, as heat would be a good way of keeping Winter at bay. They are not mentioned in ADWD because they have no relevance to the story. Winter did not officially arrive until the prologue. It would be interesting to see what role they may play in TWOW though.

Pretty sure they are mentioned in the chapter where the washerwomen confront theon. Not explicitly, but there's some kind of reference to the heat coming from them.

Yeah, I thought they'd been mentioned a few times. The chapter you brought up, and I know Jon talks about them in one of his ADwD chapters.

Yeah, I thought they'd been mentioned a few times. The chapter you brought up, and I know Jon talks about them in one of his ADwD chapters.

mmmm jon talks about the glass gardens of WF and buying slaves that know how to make glass and granting them freedom in exchange for teaching nw recruits how to make glass.

Course they are mentioned. :)

ADwD, The Prince of Winterfell

“He had never seen the godswood like this, though—grey and ghostly, filled with warm mists and floating lights and whispered voices that seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere. Beneath the trees, the hot springs steamed. Warm vapors rose from the earth, shrouding the trees in their moist breath, creeping up the walls to draw grey curtains across the watching windows.”

Archived