Superman and Batman

Batman

For anyone who has not been following comic con, the director of Man of Steel announced that in the next film Superman and Batman will be facing off. I don't know how I feel about this. Much as I enjoyed Man of Steel, there were some parts that had me questioning whether these people truly understood the character. What exactly do other people think of this?

I think it's a bad idea, their seperate Worlds and should stay that way.

Are you basing that just on the movies? Some of the books are pretty good and the Bruce Timm stuff was cool as well.

Are you basing that just on the movies? Some of the books are pretty good and the Bruce Timm stuff was cool as well.

Yes, I admit I'm basing it just on the Movies, I've not read the books, I don't know why exactly but I just feel it won't work well.

Yes, I admit I'm basing it just on the Movies, I've not read the books, I don't know why exactly but I just feel it won't work well.

Its a reasonable assumption. When you have see Superman punch Zod through a Skyscraper, a lot of work has to be done to make you believe Batman can give him a run. The way some writers have used Kryptonite has been pretty weak, so that's another concern.

It's a great idea. Although it has sometimes been misused, Superman and Batman is one of the greatest comicbook pairings around and some great stories, in-universe and standalone, revolves around the relationship, both when friendly and in opposition to each other. About time we saw it onscreen. And it's a great way to start a potential DC-verse and reboot Batman without going into a pure reboot straight away.

A lot will depend on how they do Batman though. I don't want them to go for another 'realistic' version, I'd rather they went for a more surreal edge to the tone for the new franchise that would contrast him with the more straightforward thing Superman's got going on.

I also hope they don't actually plan to use Dark Knight Returns as a basis, because (even though I think that's a really good book), the Superman parts rely a lot on the assumption of years of history between them, and a sizable chunk of the rest of the plot was already used in Dark Knight Rises.

I think it's a bad idea, their seperate Worlds and should stay that way.

They haven't been in the comics for a very long time to the point I'd find it odd if they had movies at the same time that were separated. Looking at how Marvel is doing at the box office I think WB would like a slice of the same pie.

I used to be skeptical of such a team-up but there are some great examples of the two being in the same story. Most would point to Dark Knight Returns as a good example of the two being together. The key is that they don't have to work together.

I would love to see a Red Son movie.

DC animated should definitely do it. They are doing a pretty good job of late with some of the direct adaptations of comic stories. Plus they have zero continuity so don't have a problem with "confusing" viewers.

It's a great idea. Although it has sometimes been misused, Superman and Batman is one of the greatest comicbook pairings around and some great stories, in-universe and standalone, revolves around the relationship, both when friendly and in opposition to each other. About time we saw it onscreen. And it's a great way to start a potential DC-verse and reboot Batman without going into a pure reboot straight away.

A lot will depend on how they do Batman though. I don't want them to go for another 'realistic' version, I'd rather they went for a more surreal edge to the tone for the new franchise that would contrast him with the more straightforward thing Superman's got going on.

I also hope they don't actually plan to use Dark Knight Returns as a basis, because (even though I think that's a really good book), the Superman parts rely a lot on the assumption of years of history between them, and a sizable chunk of the rest of the plot was already used in Dark Knight Rises.

They had better not use TDKR storyline because in that Superman was a tool Frank Miller used for a more epic finale. There were other characters more suited, but the finale between the two Kings of DC was the most epic. Much as I enjoyed that book, Supermans role as government stooge has never sit right.

They haven't been in the comics for a very long time to the point I'd find it odd if they had movies at the same time that were separated. Looking at how Marvel is doing at the box office I think WB would like a slice of the same pie.

I used to be skeptical of such a team-up but there are some great examples of the two being in the same story. Most would point to Dark Knight Returns as a good example of the two being together. The key is that they don't have to work together.

Public Enemies and Bruce Timms Worlds Finest are better examples. Supermans role as government stooge has never sat right with me.

Public Enemies and Bruce Timms Worlds Finest are better examples. Supermans role as government stooge has never sat right with me.

Or Kingdom Come, which in a lot of ways is a more plausible version of the same idea regarding the clash between Batman and Superman.

Honestly, regardless of what's going on with the Justice League and a DC Movieverse, they should make a completely separate adaptation of Kingdom Come. Bryan Cranston as Batman, Liam Neeson as Superman (albeit he might have trouble with the accent).

Presumably this upcoming film will be in the vein of when the two characters interacted in the 90's animated series (i.e. distrusting one another, clashing in some capacity, then working together to take down a mutual threat). Since there is going to be a new Batman for this film, we're going to have no background with the character, and while they certainly COULD crack out an awesome version of him, he's going to be playing second fiddle to Superman. The crossovers between these two characters (both in the comics and animated series) work best when they are given equal weight, and I worry that won't happen here.

I know it will never happen, but the simplest way to make a movie like this work would be to use Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Obviously that means not having Bruce Wayne under the cowl, but so be it. JGL's Batman is young enough to get a fair amount of Justice League mileage out of, and we won't need to wonder how this kid got the training he did.

DC animated should definitely do it. They are doing a pretty good job of late with some of the direct adaptations of comic stories. Plus they have zero continuity so don't have a problem with "confusing" viewers.

You're right, that's how it's going to happen. God forbid DC thinks outside the box. Some of the ELSEWORLDS titles could make awesome movies.

Or Kingdom Come, which in a lot of ways is a more plausible version of the same idea regarding the clash between Batman and Superman.

Honestly, regardless of what's going on with the Justice League and a DC Movieverse, they should make a completely separate adaptation of Kingdom Come. Bryan Cranston as Batman, Liam Neeson as Superman (albeit he might have trouble with the accent).

Kingdom Come is a really good example. Neither character was changed or betrayed somehow to suit the story. Batman made sense and Superman made sense, in terms of who they have been for 70+ years. As much as I know that in an adaptation things will change, the core of the character needs to stay the same. That sort of made Nolans last film tough for me. "I will fight crime because crime took my parents but I will quit for 8 years because crime killed my girlfriend! Oh, and I will only come back because of a hot cat burglar". Sort of geek raged out for a second, sorry.

If Luthor is the villain, it's more than enough to justify the team-up: Superman fights him with his fists (and heat vision), Batman uses his brains.

And it's ridiculous that despite the fact that Warner started 30 years earlier, Marvel will release a movie about the Guardians of the Galaxy, which

barely makes it's top 10 of teams popularity wise before Warner puts Superman and Batman together in a movie, let alone a Justice League film.

I love Kingdom Come but what's great about it is it's story of new generation and old generation, conflicting methods vs respect, never really being able to escape from who you are, etc.

I'd think WB would want to focus on showing the JL as the current generation/new protectors of Earth before skipping to the familiar JL all ready being old news.

But id they ever did do a live action Kingdome Come, I would love to see Superman vs Shazam! (though I hate that's what we have to call him now, stupid copyrights!). I hope somewhere along the line, even if it isn't in a JL movie we get to see a live action Shazam! again! There needs to be more than the 40's serials and the cheesey 70's series.

If Luthor is the villain, it's more than enough to justify the team-up: Superman fights him with his fists (and heat vision), Batman uses his brains.

And it's ridiculous that despite the fact that Warner started 30 years earlier, Marvel will release a movie about the Guardians of the Galaxy, which

barely makes it's top 10 of teams popularity wise before Warner puts Superman and Batman together in a movie, let alone a Justice League film.

Lex, when done right, is the badass. He is smarter than Batman and can create things (Bizarro, Metallo, Parasite) that can kick Superman around. I am worried that with Batman in the picture, he wont get the story time he deserves. Lex Luthor: Man of Steel was one of the better depictions of Lex but I am worried they will not give him his time.

If Zach Snyder or any of the writers from the Man of Steel movie have anything to do with this, then I will stay far away. They have already proven they know nothing about the characters and I for one will not watch anything they do in the genre.

Archived