Superman and Batman

Batman

If Zach Snyder or any of the writers from the Man of Steel movie have anything to do with this, then I will stay far away. They have already proven they know nothing about the characters and I for one will not watch anything they do in the genre.

Why is this so hard? Why cant Warner Bros find someone who gets it? They are all around them and yet they choose Bryan Singer, David Goyer and Zack Synder. Bruce Timm has been pulling great Superman/Batman stories out of his behind for years. Mark Waid loves and understands the character like the most hardcore fans do, only he has a track record of greatness. Grant Morrison is a bit of a fruit cake, but the guy is proven to get the character. Heath Ledger makes Nolan and Goyer look good and now they take on THE character, who they don't seem to understand. The last Batman had me questioning whether they even understand him.

Why is this so hard? Why cant Warner Bros find someone who gets it? They are all around them and yet they choose Bryan Singer, David Goyer and Zack Synder. Bruce Timm has been pulling great Superman/Batman stories out of his behind for years. Mark Waid loves and understands the character like the most hardcore fans do, only he has a track record of greatness. Grant Morrison is a bit of a fruit cake, but the guy is proven to get the character. Heath Ledger makes Nolan and Goyer look good and now they take on THE character, who they don't seem to understand. The last Batman had me questioning whether they even understand him.

There's a BIG difference between writing a good comic and writing a good screenplay. To be fair Goyer has done both which is probably why they like him so much (you could argue the films benefit more from the direction and acting front).

Bruce Timm does have experience in both formats but I'm not aware of him working on a big budget film. Letting Waid/Morrison or any of the proven comics authors write a screenplay seems like madness considering the money involved. Base it on one of their stories or have a think tank like Marvel seems to have.

Marvel was also lucky in that they had Whedon (DC must be kicking themselves for not letting him do Wonder Woman when they had the chance) in that he is a screenwriter, comic writer and director (and good at all three). I still think they too a massive chance letting him direct it though given his hollywood experience.

It could suffer from "setting up a franchise" syndrome in much the way the Iron Man II did. Hopefully not but there's a danger. If I were Henry Cavill I'd be a bit annoyed that he has gone from lead to co-star.

There's a BIG difference between writing a good comic and writing a good screenplay. To be fair Goyer has done both which is probably why they like him so much (you could argue the films benefit more from the direction and acting front).

Bruce Timm does have experience in both formats but I'm not aware of him working on a big budget film. Letting Waid/Morrison or any of the proven comics authors write a screenplay seems like madness considering the money involved. Base it on one of their stories or have a think tank like Marvel seems to have.

Marvel was also lucky in that they had Whedon (DC must be kicking themselves for not letting him do Wonder Woman when they had the chance) in that he is a screenwriter, comic writer and director (and good at all three). I still think they too a massive chance letting him direct it though given his hollywood experience.

I think it is more important to have a writer who understands the core of who that character is. Goyer/Snyder do not seem to get who Superman is. He is not the guy that would fight with so little regard for human life the way he did in Man of Steel. Or look down on humanity or be overly prideful about his Kansas upbringing.

You're right that creating a great comic is different than creating a great screenplay. The science of superhero movie writing is pretty straight forward and I am pretty confident those guys would get it. And a Superman origin story should be a cakewalk, no character has a better one.

There needed to be a balance between action and story. Returns was no action and all story (shit story) and Man of Steel was too much action, especially toward the end. I just have a greater faith in guys who have proven they grasp the character.

I don't think budget is an issue with Bruce Timm. The only difference would be his story would be live action instead of animated. Snyder is good with visuals and Timm with story.

I would have been interested to see it. But again, if you ever saw the Wonder Woman animated film by Bruce Timm, there is no way that wouldn't work in live action. Maybe need some more work on the invisible jet, but other than that? He just gets the characters and that's so important.

The Title, has anyone seem the title? Batman vs. Superman? Fuck sake this is bringing out my inner nerd rage. I didn't know this existed. I feel the urge to spray my rage across the internet. I don't like this feeling, its like a nerdy hulk.

As a non comic book reading, moviegoer, that's a horribly cheesy title that already places this movie(in my mind) on the same level as Sharknado.

As a comics reader it blows as well, trust me. I don't know if "The Worlds Finest" or "Superman/Batman: Public Enemies" strikes moviegoers better but it stings less than what they have.

They're going back to that, really? They had just about greenlighted Batman vs. Superman a decade ago but then the project fell through. Ugh, the news on this just keeps getting worse.

It's a miserable time for movie goers who are DC fans.

They're going back to that, really? They had just about greenlighted Batman vs. Superman a decade ago but then the project fell through. Ugh, the news on this just keeps getting worse.

It does feel like the decade has come full circle. I guess if they hadn't dropped the ball with Superman returns we may have got a Christian Bale and Brandon Routh Superman/Batman film in 2010 (although that would have messed with Nolan's continuity).

I'd have liked a solo Batman film set in the same universe before a team up to be honest. I liked Man of Steel so feel it's a missed opportunity not to have a film with just Superman in - now the origin is out of the way.

Reading the basic premise for that film, it seems like a good thing it fell through.

Reading the basic premise for that film, it seems like a good thing it fell through.

Agree completely. I know they're probably most likely going for the "hype" a title like "Batman vs. Superman" will bring, and it's going to be a completely different film from the Nolan/Snyder team (which I don't have any faith in either), but going back to that title further advances my feelings that this movie is going to be shit.

Agree completely. I know they're probably most likely going for the "hype" a title like "Batman vs. Superman" will bring, and it's going to be a completely different film from the Nolan/Snyder team (which I don't have any faith in either), but going back to that title further advances my feelings that this movie is going to be shit.

Having "vs." in the title just reminds me of films like Freddy vs. Jason and Alien vs. Predator. Right or wrong, its a bad place to start. TDKR and MOS have actually caused me to lose a lot of faith in Nolan/Goyer. Its tough, but Batman and Superman didn't feel right at all.

If Zach Snyder or any of the writers from the Man of Steel movie have anything to do with this, then I will stay far away. They have already proven they know nothing about the characters and I for one will not watch anything they do in the genre.

:agree:

Fuck Snyder.

:agree:

Fuck Snyder.

Blame the people who hired him. He is good with visuals, if his only job is to direct a script by Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Mark Waid, Grant Morrison or someone who understands the character, he would be OK. No deviation allowed, stick to the script.

Isn't Green Lantern what happens when you let comic book people write a 200 million dollar movie?

No, it's what you get when a whole bunch of people stick their oars in - two of whom are indeed comic book writers, but not particularly acclaimed ones.

Archived