Filming in Iceland

Westeros

Well if it is, I'm curious as to how he leaves Tyrion's service, unless Pod just decides to bugger off when he is no longer needed. Maybe Tyrion offers Pod as some form of compensation.

Maybe he sends Pod on some kind of errand while under arrest and Pod then stumbles upon Brienne.

It's entirely possible that Brienne and Pod might be filming only one or two scenes for the season finale, given that Jaime would probably send Brienne away in episode 8 or 9. I don't think they'll delve much into Brienne's AFFC material in season 4. It depends on how long Gwen Christie is filming in Iceland for.

I guess they'll cut most of Brienne's storyline so that she meets the BWB right away. I bet on the Lady Stoneheart reveal in the finale.

I guess they'll cut most of Brienne's storyline so that she meets the BWB right away. I bet on the Lady Stoneheart reveal in the finale.

Betting on LS in the finale turned out so well for season 3... :laugh: The problem with that theory is that having LS/Brienne at the end of season 4 leaves nothing for them to do in season 5.

Yeah, I don't think so, they need to leave something for season 5. Also the Hound...

I bet when Brienne goes to the Quiet Isle, they will just show him as the gravedigger, no covered up faces, just the hoods, that could be in season 5. Most book readers know it's him, and maybe the next book will be out by then anyway.

Picture of Arya and Sandor, presumably from season 4.

I'm surprised they're filming the Vale scenes in Iceland. I thought they would have just filmed it in the same locations they filmed the season 1 Vale scenes in.

Yep , that is a snap from a very very short live action sequence shown on, I guess Icelandic TV (they have more than one network there?).

I also notice once again the lack of horse.

Chris Newman in a fairly long (usual) "radio silence" interview noted that they could not do close up of horse, because they were Icelandic Pony. Which always look cool , in fact very beautiful.

However, I know Iceland is small with a small population, but nowhere in Iceland has anyone imported 'European Horse'?

I know there are a lot of Icelandic horse enthusiasts. Iceland is a sophisticated nation but nary a large horse to be found?

It's one of the glaring , odd!, deficits of the show. Sure there have been many scenes of horse in GOT but there sure are a lot of times when the production has people walking when in the book they are on horse back.

Iceland forbids importation of horses, because the population of Icelandic horses has been isolated for about a thousand years and they're concerned about disease.

If an Icelandic horse is taken from Iceland, say for a competition, it will not be allowed to return.

People who go to Iceland on riding holidays, all your gear must be either brand new or thoroughly disinfected.

Iceland forbids importation of horses, because the population of Icelandic horses has been isolated for about a thousand years and they're concerned about disease.

If an Icelandic horse is taken from Iceland, say for a competition, it will not be allowed to return.

People who go to Iceland on riding holidays, all your gear must be either brand new or thoroughly disinfected.

I see, just after I wrote that I suspected that something like that was the case.

A little surprising that way way way back before such a law someone had not imported some European horse that survived , as a group, somewhere , in Iceland.

I guess not.

Yeah, I don't think so, they need to leave something for season 5. Also the Hound...

I bet when Brienne goes to the Quiet Isle, they will just show him as the gravedigger, no covered up faces, just the hoods, that could be in season 5. Most book readers know it's him, and maybe the next book will be out by then anyway.

Why do they need to leave Brienne something to do for most of S5?

As I see it, she can meet Uncat in the S4 finale, be missing for most of S5 creating a bit of a mystery as to her fate and then they can have her appear in Jaime's arc towards the end of a season. If they don't start Brienne's quest in S4 she has nothing to do in S4 as she just fades into the back ground for no good reason.

As I see it, she can meet Uncat in the S4 finale, be missing for most of S5 creating a bit of a mystery as to her fate and then they can have her appear in Jaime's arc towards the end of a season. If they don't start Brienne's quest in S4 she has nothing to do in S4 as she just fades into the back ground for no good reason.

I'm not saying don't start her quest. The Quiet Isle is in chapter 31 of 46 chapters, in book 4. It's Brienne VI. There are five chapters before that. She starts out in Brienne I.

Look what they did for Theon in season 3. Why finish all of Brienne's book 4 scenes in season 4? Also, good chance to keep the Hound in the story.

I am going to make a guess. That for Brienne, as well as a few other characters , there is going to be some invented story line. Does not seem she should be at KL for long, but that could change, with some imagination. In fact am expecting the reworking of several story lines so as to dovetail into however the material in novels 4 and 5 is reworked.

There's nothing wrong with Brienne's real storyline, though. A good screenwriter could mine the dramatic potential from that. Here's a chance to show a strong woman, instead of just talking about it.

Why they dropped the true knight thing, who knows, but she's one, and she's not even a knight. And she's off to save Sansa for Catelyn, that's honoring their stories after they basically ignored the hell out of them in season 3.

So much potential there, after reducing two other female POV characters, Catelyn and Sansa, to plot devices to prop up Robb and Tyrion. And giving us more of Talisa and Shae, who are essentially bloated cardboard to prop up Robb and Tyrion.

Actually, I think it would be a wise move if they use all of her AFFC material in S4, because it lets them with one less storyline for S5. S4 will have less simultaneous plotlines than S3: Samwell joins Jon, Jaime and Brienne return to KL and Robb / Cat are gone, so around 7 - 8. In contrast, S5 has like at least 12- 13 separate characters. Even if you cut some of those plotlines, like Quentyn or the Iron Islands, you still have Tyrion, Sansa, Jaime, Samwell, etc by themselves. That's why I think it is better if they move Brienne's storyline to the not so crowded S4.

If they do that, and the PW is no later than ep4, they have 5-6 episodes to show Brienne's travel. I think that is enough, if you cut things like meeting the Mad Mouse, Ser Hyle and Dick Crabb. I think they should keep her meeting Pod, Randyll Tarly and Septon Meribald. Her last two episodes would include the end of her travels, with her meeting Gendry, fighting Locke, being captured by the BWB and meeting LS. Then in S5 she wouldn't appear until she meets jaime, by the end of the season.

About the Hound and his appearance as the gravedigger in the Quite Isle, I'm not sure what they could do. I think one of the pictures of the filming had some extras that looked like septons though, so It's possible Sandor meets the Elder Brother separate of Brienne's storyline. Also, the reveal that he is alive could be saved for a later season, if he becomes relevant to the story again.

I don't really follow the logic of playing her down in the story. I guess it's just a matter of what you want to see. I like both characters, so I'd want to see them in season 5, too. They can make it happen if they want to, but I agree they probably don't care about them, either.

Filming in Iceland has commenced, as reported recently, and it looks like it’ll run for a couple of weeks. Of course, Iceland in the summer can look very different from Iceland in the winter… and it seems that the production is really using it to its advantage, because all signs point to it representing regions much nearer to King’s Landing than in the past. Reports of Maisie Williams and Gwendoline Christie both being spotted in Reykjavik have been confirmed, and it’s unlikely to be a coincidence (though that can’t be ruled out).

The last we saw of Arya, she was in the riverlands with Sandor Clegane, while Brienne of Tarth was last in King’s Landing…. but we’ve some speculations below (with spoilers):read on >>>

Visit the Site!

Has filming commenced in Ireland yet?

NEWS OF ICELAND is reporting Aidan Gillen is in Reykjavik , makes sense, the Vale and all I mean.

Says many actors from GOT were at bar called " Big Lebowski", but not which ones!

Says Peter Dinklage was among that group, what?!!

NEWS OF ICELAND is reporting Aidan Gillen is in Reykjavik , makes sense, the Vale and all I mean.

Says many actors from GOT were at bar called " Big Lebowski", but not which ones!

Says Peter Dinklage was among that group, what?!!

Also Sophie Turner has been spoted in Iceland

http://t.co/pdr35nJLyU

Makes sense since they're filming the Vale but it's always good to have some sort of confirmation. I wonder how close the Stark sisters will be this season, in the books Arya didn't make that close to the Eyrie

There's nothing wrong with Brienne's real storyline, though. A good screenwriter could mine the dramatic potential from that. Here's a chance to show a strong woman, instead of just talking about it.

Why they dropped the true knight thing, who knows, but she's one, and she's not even a knight. And she's off to save Sansa for Catelyn, that's honoring their stories after they basically ignored the hell out of them in season 3.

So much potential there, after reducing two other female POV characters, Catelyn and Sansa, to plot devices to prop up Robb and Tyrion. And giving us more of Talisa and Shae, who are essentially bloated cardboard to prop up Robb and Tyrion.

I agree with everything you wrote, and I hope they don't rush her story (although Nimble Dick should be cut IMO), the scenes they filmed probably are just the beginning of their travel, like they did with Jaime in season 2.

BUT after seeing how they rushed Stannis arc last season, I won't be surprised if they end S4 with Brienne meeting LS...

ETA: I think Crabb should be cut because a: too much time spend, and eventually leads to "nothing" (and the viewer will know neither Sansa or Arya are at the Whispers) b: the bloody mummers have been cut from the show: c: the whole point of that chapter in the books is about Brienne's first kill, she already kill people in the show.

If Sophie and Aidan are doing exterior filming then it seems like they probably are keeping the portion of that story set at the Fingers. I was half-expecting them to just set the whole thing at the Eyrie, which would have annoyed me, because seeing the Fingers tells you a lot about Baelish, and he has a ton of great lines in that chapter.

Archived