littlefinger...why a mockingbird?

space

Im not too familiar with the actual mockingbird animal or its characteristics, but I presume based on the name it likes to mock or mimic the sounds of other birds? or is just generally kinda loud and annoying

obviously littlefinger chose his own sigil because he is a self made man who wants to carve out his own ambitious path in life...but why a mockingbird?

on the surface to other ignorant players (also known as littlefinger's pawns) he is a yes-man, so i'm thinking maybe the sigil is built to reinforce that impression of him as a harmless not very powerful, insignificant lord? obviously giving him a better position to exploit, or maybe he uses it to "mock" people who see him as such..

either way its kind of interesting and i'm wondering if theres something I missed...anything relating to one of the most interesting (if not the most interesting) characters in asoiaf warrants discussion :cool4:

I agree that it's to give the illusion that he is not a violent or powerful lord. To lull the other lords into a false sense of security around him. While the other lords have weapons or dangerous animals (whether backed up in real life or not) he maintains the facade of a small time upstarted lord.

Besides being known for being able to make a ton of different sounds, mockingbirds are known for being vicious. We get them here in SoCal all the time and these things attack small birds and even larger birds. I remember seeing a mocking bird flying circles around and harassing a red-tailed hawk a few years ago.

I think the main feature of a mockingbird is it's ability "to change it's tune"-for me, its all about fakery, untruthfulness, mummery, and an intelligent ability to know what tune to sing and to whom. A mockingbird is highly intelligent and quick-thinking.

In "to kill a mockingbird", the bird represented innocence as all a Mockingbird does is sing its songs and is no harm to anyone. this could be GRRM's idea of a literary joke, as we have already seen in ASOIAF that singing songs is far from innocent a past-time. although innocence is certainly the front LF would like to portray to the world.

In symbolism, the mockingbird also suggests protectfulness, a role he is currently playing with his "little bird" Sansa. Is LF "mocking" his little bird, having presumably had a large part in destroying her family, only to trick her into thinking he is her protector? Or is Sansa singing her "little songs" (essentially, dishonest politically correct lies to save herself) a foreshadowing that eventually she will learn how to be as skilfully adept as LF? A Mockingbird in training?

I think the main feature of a mockingbird is it's ability "to change it's tune"-for me, its all about fakery, untruthfulness, mummery, and an intelligent ability to know what tune to sing and to whom. A mockingbird is highly intelligent and quick-thinking.

In "to kill a mockingbird", the bird represented innocence which could be GRRM's idea of a literary joke, and innocence is certainly the front LF would like to portray to the world.

In symbolism, the mockingbird also suggests protectfulness, a role he is currently playing with his "little bird" Sansa. Is LF "mocking" his little bird, having presumably had a large part in destroying her family, only to trick her into thinking he is her protector? Or is Sansa singing her "little songs" (essentially, dishonest politically correct lies to save herself) a foreshadowing that eventually she will learn how to be as skilfully adept as LF? A Mockingbird in training?

I like it...now that Ive heard more about the bird...its the perfect sigil for him!

Archived