Westeros Fantasy Football - A Primer

Jaxom 1974

So there are a number of different Fantast Football threads going simultaneously here abouts. To avoid confusion and to keep a sense of continuity, a little primer. There are a lot of new folks hereabout and they're starting their own leagues up. which is totally cool, but for those interested there is a long history of Fantasy Leagues on the Forum. A number of us have been playing for many years. Some of us have had aspects of the Westeros Fantasy "System" named after them... :P

For the majority of the last decade, Whiskeyjack (or Amyrc from back in the day) had been running most of these leagues. For that, if nothing else, he deserves credit as it resulted in a somewhat strong culture of Fantasy here on the Forum and has helped develop relationships on the Board and in real life. He has chosen not to run any of the leagues he helped create/develop for reasons we do not need to get into here. Suffice it to say, the torch has been picked up where it could be and it would be nice to see Fantasy Football continue to flourish in the manner it has over the years.

There are FIVE somewhat permanent leagues that have had, for the most part, the same cast of characters playing in them for upwards of ten years in some cases.

The first two: Dynasty and Keeper are in jeopardy of being the primary casualties of WJ's leaving. Some kept records, but give him his due, WJ kept some really good ones. I do not know if these leagues will continue. Groz? Were you taking one of them?

The third is THUNDERDOME! A battle royal of 16 teams split into four divisions battling it out for the supremacy of the entire Westeros Fantast Football World (barring one exception). North, East, South, and West with teams representing those areas of the country (i.e. as I was in the Eastern Division, I was King's Landing). QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, TE, W/R, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Last year's players:

Mexal

Lightning Lord

JJ Lannister

Slurktan

DVD ROTS

Bronn

Jaime

Mya

Fuentez

Prince of the North

Boiled Leather

Whiskeyjack

Space Bandito

Jaxom

Weekapaug

Kalbear

It is a snake draft. JJ Lannister has said he’d be taking the reins of the commish this season, as WJ is the only player we know of at this time who isn’t returning. Look for the thread on this. There will be at least one open spot.

The fourth is Survivor. Another sixteen team league where you score or you go home. After week 2, if you’re the low score that week, you’re gone. Your players are off the board and no longer available. So choose wisely! QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, TE, W/R, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Another snake draft, this one is all about the fun.

Last year’s players:

Weekapaug

Mexal

Scuba Steve

Lanza Rota

Jaxom

Bronn

Grozeng

Boiled Leather

Trebla

Fuentez

Ericxihn

Whiskeyjack

J.J. Lannister

The Heir

DVD ROTS

Slurktan

Again, only one spot open here for certain with WJ’s departure. Though I don’t know if Scuba Steve has been about, but that may change now that Fantasy Football is coming back…

The fifth, and most important league: Experts. Experts started seven seasons ago when those who were playing regularly looked to the existing leagues and decided that there needed to be an invitation only league. A top tier, if you were. This league is about the competition, the trash talking, being active, and the skill. In that first season in 2006, WJ and a couple others discussed the initial class and decided on a group of ten. Turns out, I was eleven. I’d only been playing a couple years and was learning about fantasy still (some would say I still am!) and that while active, it wasn’t my time yet. I’d have to win my way in. Once that came out, I got it, I understood the reasoning and I declared that I’d be in the very next season. You see, as JJ explained a little in the thread he started for Experts this season, if you’re in the bottom three, you’re out, unless you win one of the feeder leagues to stay. Those that win the feeder leagues are elevated to the Expert tier. Then it’s up to you to win enough to stay. Thus was born, “Jaxoming”. Because I was determined to be elevated, no one else wanted to be the one to give up their seat to me, so you don’t want to be “Jaxomed”. It’s a fun term that I’ve embraced, though it kinda seems odd since I’m the reigning Experts champ…

It is an auction draft. It is ten teams. QB, QB, WR, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, RB, TE, TE, K, DEF, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

It is actually filled at the moment. But it’s important to talk about as the regulars of longtime Westeros Fantasy Football begin setting up the feeder leagues for the year. New players are always welcome! Be active. Be good natured. Remember this is mainly for Pride, not Prize. It’s supposed to be fun.

Now, I know there are a few new leagues already up and running from some newer Forum members who may not have been aware that there was such a rich history around here. That’s cool. Perhaps some of you will join in the three or four feeder leagues that we’ll have going too and maybe earn your way into Experts. J

If any of the other long timers wish to add anything, please do!

Thanks for the history lesson here Jaxom. I am still kind of a whipper snapper here on the board and this is my third season with the group. Last year was my first year to play in an "official" Westeros league and it was a feeder league.

I have been hosting my own league with people here on the boards, and since the change is upon us I took it upon myself to rename my league to Westeros 2 in hopes that it might become a feeder league to the big boys. YDub has started Westeros 1. In a discussion today, it was brought up that these leagues should be set up using different rules. I whole heartedly agree with this.

Westeros 1 will be an auction draft with an expanded roster of QB,QB,WR,WR,WR,RB,RB,TE,TE,W/R,K,DEF,DEF

Westeros 2 will be a 10 team snake draft with a plain format of QB,WR,WR,WR,RB,RB,TE,K,DEF. There are a number of openings left in this league.

You should all also know that my son, Maverick, at age 2, set my lineup one week and beat Jaxom.

Now that he's almost 6 I'm thinking of getting him his own team. I'm pretty sure he could beat Jaxom handily on his own.

You should all also know that my son, Maverick, at age 2, set my lineup one week and beat Jaxom.

Now that he's almost 6 I'm thinking of getting him his own team. I'm pretty sure he could beat Jaxom handily on his own.

He did make me better... :P

I'm new to the boards but would love to join a feeder league if there is an open slot. How would i go about joining one?

Ya, someone point me to an open feeder. I had to drop one league because the draft date was literally the one day I couldn't draft, but I want in pretty bad with some forum friends.

I'm going to run Dynasty (invites should have been sent). I am in for any other leagues and will commish any needed.

i have not received an invite to dynasty

it should be in yahoo mail right?

Edited by Reposado