Theory: Darkstar's father (TWoW Spoilers)

Russo

In Dorne, it is possible for the mother to pass down her name instead of the father, if she's the one who inherits. This was, I believe, the case with Doran and siblings, for example. Their mother was the one who passed down the Martell name.

Though, according to SSM, some Stony Dornishmen may keep the older male Andal tradition (don't ask me for a quote, read it somewhere here).

^this. Else, whenever there was a Princess of Dorne rather than a Prince, the children would have lost a name. And, being as it is still Martell, this has to apply, at least for the Dornish royals.

I wonder if he has any relation to Arthur Dayne, maybe even a bastard of his. I know he was in the kings Guard but he wouldn't be the first to break that vow (doesn't seem like him though). It seems he maybe in possesion of Dawn? If so how to he come to be in possesion of it? Regardless of who is family is if he has any love for Dorne he would sure have a hate on for Lannisters. I also think he could very well be one of the Vipers many kids.

It might be Arthur Dayne + Elia Martell: a secret love affair. Lannister hate guaranteed. 

+ we know that Oberyn was close to his sister: that  accounts for the viper symbolism. 

Great OP - I like the theory! (I find it interesting that GRRM apparently was very surprised about the negative reactions towards Darkstar..) 

Just a thought, when Doran sends Obara and Balon Swann on the hunt for Darkstar I got the impression that it was much more about keeping Swann busy after hearing about Cersei's scheme, than to get rid of Darkstar. And wouldn't they have passified him  years ago, if they deemed it necessary?

Darkstar is one of the - at the moment - smaller mysteries I like. Whether he's going to be someone important..., couldn't guess. But I like all these small things, that might not be a thing at all :idea:

Archived