Theory: Darkstar's father (TWoW Spoilers)

Russo

Good theory OP, with this change it stands up pretty well:

It is also possible that Darkstar IS Oberyn's son, but everyone thinks his father is whoever Lady Dayne was married to. Like Joffrey and his siblings.

My only other point would be that he is a Dayne of High Hermitage, not Starfall. But that is just nit picking as they are as next door as castles get.

Good theory OP, with this change it stands up pretty well:

My only other point would be that he is a Dayne of High Hermitage, not Starfall. But that is just nit picking as they are as next door as castles get.

Yeah that's correct, but as has been stated, we don't know how long the Dayne's of High Hermitage have been around. Darkstar may be the first.

All the app says is he's in "his late twenties". Older than the real Aegon would have been.

Woo Hoo! Theory refuted.

I have not just made it up though, honest

Don't worry, I never suspected you did. You could have just been thinking of different character or reporting an unconfirmed rumor, ect.

I got the impression that Ashara wouldnt have been any older than 18-19 when she died

I also cant see where you are getting Ashara dancing with Oberyn from, his sigil is the sun/spear, not a red snake

Well he is called "the red viper"...

Wow good theory I like it!

I allways wondered how Oberyn had no boys and if he has even one son I will be satisfied.

Only thing that is certain about OP's post is that people consider Darkstart to be more dangerous than Oberyn, with the Red Viper even conceding it.

Darkstar is about to lay waste to Westeros in TWOW. I have a feeling he will change the entire landscape of the Game of Thrones.

I wouldn't mind at all if this were true. But Doran orders Obara and Balon Swann to root him out of his keep. Giving the order is the same as kinslaying. Unless Doran doesn't know.

Do you know if Doran orders him to be killed or imprisoned after being rooted out?

I wouldn't mind at all if this were true. But Doran orders Obara and Balon Swann to root him out of his keep. Giving the order is the same as kinslaying. Unless Doran doesn't know.

I'm not sure if it's kinslaying if the kin has committed a great crime like treason. Darkstar tried to kill Princess Myrcella. Doran is just doing his duty.

Do you know if Doran orders him to be killed or imprisoned after being rooted out?

This is the quote form the book:

If he is the man I judge, Swann will not be able to refuse. Obara, you will lead him to High Hermitage to beard Darkstar in his den.

I assumed "to beard" meant to cut his head off, but I'm not a native English speaker, it could mean something else entirely.

This is the quote form the book:

I assumed "to beard" meant to cut his head off, but I'm not a native English speaker, it could mean something else entirely.

I have looked it up, and apparently it dates back to a biblical story about a shepherd called Daniel who 'beards a lion in his den', as in he grabbed it by the whiskers and slit it's throat. (cue the theories that Darkstar is a Lannister)

I think now it simply refers to confronting someone and fighting (and probably killing) them.

So I take it he ordered him to be killed. Im still not sold that this would make Doran a kinslayer in the sense that it is given in the books. Regardless, Doran not being aware he is his nephew only has a very minor impact on the theory.

Interesting that Martin decided to use that phrase, considering the saying comes from a story which does not exist in the ASOIAF world, when it would have been easy to just use a different phase. Not that I particularly give a shit about it.

Another intestesting quote by Arianne.

Arianne watched him warily. He is highborn enough to make a worthy consort, she thought (AFfC 299)

Now consort usually means spouse, as opposed to lover (stand to be corrected). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consort

A Dayne of Starfall may be high born enough to be married to a Lord Paramount (although I am not even sure of this, as I will get into below), but a cadet branch?

This could go two ways, working for the theory or against.

Arianne knows he is not a bastard, at least in her own mind, as she would never think this if she did. This perhaps works against the theory, although Arianne not being aware would hardly be surprising, she must have at least some idea of who both of his parents are supposed to be to have this thought.

But considering he is only from a cadet branch, this thought to myself doesn't make that much sense.

This could also be a hint from GRRM that Darkstar is from higher stock than his current membership of a cadet branch of house Dayne, a relatively minor house in itself, as even Darkstar himself states that even though it has been around for 10000 years the only famous member of the house is Arthur. House Dayne is more prominent in the story than in Westeros I think. However, with Martell blood, Darkstar would clearly be highborn enough to be the consort of a princess of Dorne, and the comment makes more sense. Arianne may know about Oberyn being the father, or she may not and GRRM has dropped it in there as a hint.

To myself, the thought doesn't make any sense with the current status of Darkstar in Westeros, he isn't supposed to be highborn enough in my opinion. Not unless one of his parents is from more noble stock than his current house.

Another intestesting quote by Arianne.

Arianne watched him warily. He is highborn enough to make a worthy consort, she thought (AFfC 299)

Now consort usually means spouse, as opposed to lover (stand to be corrected). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consort

A Dayne of Starfall may be high born enough to be married to a Lord Paramount (although I am not even sure of this, as I will get into below), but a cadet branch?

This could go two ways, working for the theory or against.

Arianne knows he is not a bastard, at least in her own mind, as she would never think this if she did. This perhaps works against the theory, although Arianne not being aware would hardly be surprising, she must have at least some idea of who both of his parents are supposed to be to have this thought.

But considering he is only from a cadet branch, this thought to myself doesn't make that much sense.

This could also be a hint from GRRM that Darkstar is from higher stock than his current membership of a cadet branch of house Dayne, a relatively minor house in itself, as even Darkstar himself states that even though it has been around for 10000 years the only famous member of the house is Arthur. House Dayne is more prominent in the story than in Westeros I think. However, with Martell blood, Darkstar would clearly be highborn enough to be the consort of a princess of Dorne, and the comment makes more sense. Arianne may know about Oberyn being the father, or she may not and GRRM has dropped it in there as a hint.

To myself, the thought doesn't make any sense with the current status of Darkstar in Westeros, he isn't supposed to be highborn enough in my opinion. Not unless one of his parents is from more noble stock than his current house.

Honestly, Arianne obviously has the hots for Darkstar and she was just horny amongst those thoughts.

Interesting theory, though I like mine about Darkstar being the grandson of Aerion Targaryen's son (Egg's nephew) much better. Why would Arianne not know about her uncle's son? Doesn't make sense to me. Why would Doran, who welcomes all of the Red Viper's natural children into his home, not welcome his one known son? A lot to be explained here.

Interesting theory, though I like mine about Darkstar being the grandson of Aerion Targaryen's son (Egg's nephew) much better. Why would Arianne not know about her uncle's son? Doesn't make sense to me. Why would Doran, who welcomes all of the Red Viper's natural children into his home, not welcome his one known son? A lot to be explained here.

Well as stated in the thread, possibly for the same reasons that people didn't know Joffrey was Jaime's son. Plus, Oberyn may not even know.

Or, they do know, but have not mentioned it. Like how Ned obviously knows who his mother is, but never thinks of it once. They don't think or mention it because GRRM does not want it revealed yet.

Well as stated in the thread, possibly for the same reasons that people didn't know Joffrey was Jaime's son. Plus, Oberyn may not even know.

Or, they do know, but have not mentioned it. Like how Ned obviously knows who his mother is, but never thinks of it once. They don't think or mention it because GRRM does not want it revealed yet.

Also, this passage near the end of Arianne's last chapter in AFfC, The Princess in the Tower, might give us a clue as to why she was kept in the dark:

“I [Doran] know. If I kept you ignorant too long, it was only to protect you. Arianne, your nature... to you, a secret was only a choice tale to whisper to Garin and Tyene in your bed of a night. Garin gossips as only the orphans can, and Tyene keeps nothing from Obara and the Lady Nym. And if they knew... Obara is too fond of wine, and Nym is too close to the Fowler twins. And who might the Fowler twins confide in? I could not take the risk.”

Archived