Indira Varma Joins Game of Thrones

Westeros

Good to see they will be making at least some Dornish look like the fans thought they should.

Plenty of us were perfectly content with the look of Oberyn Martell. How fans persist in acting as if it is totally at odds with the book, when Martin himself came out and praised the casting, is beyond me. Too much ado is made about this.

I think she's a great choice! By the way GRRM not only said he had pictured the Salty Dornishmen as Mediterranean in appearance, he said the same of the Sandy.

I think Pedro Pascal was a great choice for Oberyn, it's too bad that this has become such a pointless controversy, GRRM has had his say on the matter and it looks like D&D are following his lead in their casting choices.

They are practically importing the cast from Rome, aren't they?

Not that I'm complaining, if they keep with this trend then maybe we can get Ray Stevenson for Victarion and Kevin McKidd for Jon Connington down the line.

I would LOVE Ray Stevenson for Victarion, that would be so bad ass. McKidd, not so much...

I would LOVE Ray Stevenson for Victarion, that would be so bad ass. McKidd, not so much...

I stand by David O'Hara as Victarion. Whoever first recommended him was spot on. Ray Stevenson is good as well.

Don't forget Ian Mcshane when it comes to HBO alumni (granted not from Rome but still)!

Great casting- so much so that I wonder if they'll expand her role in the show? Much like how Charles Dance is so awesome he gets more screentime as Tywin? It's a shame that it would take too much muddling of the story to combine her with Arianne, really as that could have kept the cast manageable.

They are practically importing the cast from Rome, aren't they?

Not that I'm complaining, if they keep with this trend then maybe we can get Ray Stevenson for Victarion and Kevin McKidd for Jon Connington down the line.

This would be so perfect it would almost make me forgive them for casting Ciaran Hinds as Mance (WAY too old) instead of the obvious choice, James Purefoy.

Awesome! She was one of the strongest elements of Rome, I think, and I'm looking forward to adding Ellaria Sand to the list of "characters that are given more to do on the show than they were in the books"

Agreed. McKidd was decent in Rome but Stevenson was much better. I can't see him as JonCon.

This would be so perfect it would almost make me forgive them for casting Ciaran Hinds as Mance (WAY too old) instead of the obvious choice, James Purefoy.

I don't know exactly how old Mance is supposed to be but I got the impression from the books that he is about a generation older than Jon, because

he talks about seeing Jon Snow when Jon was still a babe. I thought he was already out of the watch at that point, or maybe I'm wrong?

. Anyway Purefoy is great but I don't see him as Mance. He'd have made a great Ramsay though!

Jon describes him as being a "young" member of the Night's Watch when he and Robb were maybe 4-6. Mance was probably about Ned's age, give or take. And like Ned, he's got some grey showing early.

The whole Jon Snow storyline on the tv show is a complete mess to me. Hopefully they can reclaim it in season 4. Mance Rayder works because he is the opposite of what Jon thinks a King Beyond the Wall should be. He is supposed to be charismatic on the outside but wild and hard on the inside. They completely lost that in season 3, Mance is just some old dude.

The whole Jon Snow storyline on the tv show is a complete mess to me. Hopefully they can reclaim it in season 4. Mance Rayder works because he is the opposite of what Jon thinks a King Beyond the Wall should be. He is supposed to be charismatic on the outside but wild and hard on the inside. They completely lost that in season 3, Mance is just some old dude.

From the first scene of Mance they chose not to have anything particularly special about him. The whole idea that Jon considers the singer just to be a singer and no way takes him for a King is pretty important from a character perspective, that I was shocked they skipped it. I agree that Mance right now is just some guy. I don't know how they're going to change that.

But on topic this casting is terrific!

From the first scene of Mance they chose not to have anything particularly special about him. The whole idea that Jon considers the singer just to be a singer and no way takes him for a King is pretty important from a character perspective, that I was shocked they skipped it. I agree that Mance right now is just some guy. I don't know how they're going to change that.

I was disappointed by how little screentime Mance got.

My big problem with the wildlings is it feels like they have made a concerted effort to de-caricaturize them and I think the plots suffer for it. The wilding characters are much more interesting when they have quirks and eccentricities. I think they can still save it, since we haven't seen much of the wildlings in general, but I hope they go into the shooting with the idea "hey we need to make memorable characters who say and do memorable things. Its funny b/c the one wildling who was dull in the book is the complete opposite in the show is Osha-she should be the template. Everyone else is way too somber right now.

My big problem with the wildlings is it feels like they have made a concerted effort to de-caricaturize them and I think the plots suffer for it. The wilding characters are much more interesting when they have quirks and eccentricities. I think they can still save it, since we haven't seen much of the wildlings in general, but I hope they go into the shooting with the idea "hey we need to make memorable characters who say and do memorable things. Its funny b/c the one wildling who was dull in the book is the complete opposite in the show is Osha-she should be the template. Everyone else is way too somber right now.

I dunno, they give Tormund some great lines, like the bit about "most men fuck like dogs". True, it would be great if we had more jokes about "even half me member's twice as long as any man's!" and more "HAR!" but I wouldn't call the show version of Tormund somber. Even on the wall when Jon and Ygritte almost fell (the first time) he made a joke about it.

Archived