Indira Varma Joins Game of Thrones

Westeros

I think I'm the only one that believes Ray Stevenson as Victarion would be a bad choice. Not at all how I imagined Vic would look and, no fault of his own, he's too well known. That may sound silly but one of the things that's made this series great for me is that most of the cast I haven't seen before.

I'm a big supporter of casting unknowns or little-known actors as it helps with the "willful suspension of disbelief" if we don't associate a face with an earlier, prominent role (Ciaran Hinds, for example, from Rome).

Though I do contradict myself in saying Indira is a great choice (as was Sean Bean).

For Vic I don't have many suggestions but I'd prefer someone like Paul Logan. Big, physical actor who I'm sure most viewers won't recognize, esp. once the wardrobe and makeup crew get a hold of him.

I think I'm the only one that believes Ray Stevenson as Victarion would be a bad choice. Not at all how I imagined Vic would look and, no fault of his own, he's too well known. That may sound silly but one of the things that's made this series great for me is that most of the cast I haven't seen before.

I'm a big supporter of casting unknowns or little-known actors as it helps with the "willful suspension of disbelief" if we don't associate a face with an earlier, prominent role (Ciaran Hinds, for example, from Rome).

Though I do contradict myself in saying Indira is a great choice (as was Sean Bean).

For Vic I don't have many suggestions but I'd prefer someone like Paul Logan. Big, physical actor who I'm sure most viewers won't recognize, esp. once the wardrobe and makeup crew get a hold of him.

I wasn't sold on Stevenson as Vic until I saw the scene on Rome where Titus Pullo leads the fight among the gangs in the Aventine. That pretty much sold me on his abilities. That being said, my other pick is Vladimir Kulich, who looks very much like how I imagined Vic to look like, and I think he's had previous stage-fighting experience as well.

I wasn't sold on Stevenson as Vic until I saw the sceneon Rome where Titus Pullo leads the fight among the gangs in the Aventine. That pretty much sold me on his abilities. That being said, my other pick is Vladimir Kulich, who looks very much like how I imagined Vic to look like, and I think he's had previous stage-fighting experience as well.

Kulich would've been my first choice too. He may be a little old for what the producers have in mind but about as close as any actor I've seen to Victarion physically.

Ray Stevenson for Victarion! I know in Rome he was usually comical but when Pullo got pissed, he was pissed. Like this. His face at 2.58 is how I pictured Victarion looking after he murdered his wife--somewhere between crying and shrieking in rage, and settling for cold, glassy-eyed fury.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this actress on Rome, her problems tore me up though. I thought Ray Stevenson was terrific as Pullo but I think he is too charismatic for the Victarion I picture. One of the Vikings in Pathfinder (I didn't like that movie at all) would be more what I have pictured. Clancy Brown or the guy who played the other main Viking, not sure who he was.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived