from GRRM's blog: Jeyne Westerling and other characters in TWoW

AccusedSinner

Roslin spent the wedding shyly flirting with Edmure. She didn't warn him even though it was clear it bothered her. She hangs.

her father told her to play her part and she did, she didn't know any better than to listen to one of the most powerful, jealous, and domineering men in the Riverlands.

Also, it was Roslin herself that was robbed (no pun intended) of being Queen by Robb's idiotic tryst. If anyone had a reason to be upset, it was her. Robb may not have deserved to die, but he definitely deserved to lose a kingdom, as she did.

who am i kidding? Robb definitely deserved to die. he was terrible at the GOT, just like his old man.

correct, it's the interpretation of the prophecy itself, not its individual words, that are important. she sees Margaery instead of Dany because she doesn't really know who that is, we see Dany, but it could be Arianne or Sansa.

Could still be Jeyne. Wasn't she queen of the North somehow? As Robb - (self)proclaimed King of the North's wife? That would be an unexpected turn of events regarding that prophecy... I don't see how it could happen, but still...

Roslin's part in the story could be as a loving and caring wife to Edmure. The couple will be fiercly loyal to each other. It would make for interesting storytelling to have the marriage that served as the ruse for the Red Wedding to become a pillar of love and loyalty.

her father told her to play her part and she did, she didn't know any better than to listen to one of the most powerful, jealous, and domineering men in the Riverlands.

Also, it was Roslin herself that was robbed (no pun intended) of being Queen by Robb's idiotic tryst. If anyone had a reason to be upset, it was her. Robb may not have deserved to die, but he definitely deserved to lose a kingdom, as she did.

who am i kidding? Robb definitely deserved to die. he was terrible at the GOT, just like his old man.

If she doesn't know any better than to let 3500 men die because daddy says so, she definitely deserves to hang.

If she let 3500 die so she could have a crown, she deserves to hang. (let me also point out that Robb was not crowned when the betrothal was made, so the plan was never to make a Frey queen.)

If you think a man who was well respected by his men and only wore a crown because they put it on him and most of his kingdom actually wanted him as their ruler didn't deserve said kingdom and also deserved to die just be he broke a deal that he also tried courteously to make up for, I think you deserve... To see below :p

If she doesn't know any better than to let 3500 men die because daddy says so, she definitely deserves to hang.

If she let 3500 die so she could have a crown, she deserves to hang. (let me also point out that Robb was not crowned when the betrothal was made, so the plan was never to make a Frey queen.)

If you think a man who was well respected by his men and only wore a crown because they put it on him and most of his kingdom actually wanted him as their ruler didn't deserve said kingdom and also deserved to die just be he broke a deal that he also tried courteously to make up for, I think you deserve... To see below :p

"Deserved's got nothin' to do with it."

I'm not trying to justify anything, morally. It's war, Robb acted idiotically, doing the exact wrong things at the exact wrong times and it got him killed, along with a bunch of his men.

To place culpability on a young girl who was probably scared to death of everyone around her and had no way to protect herself if she betrayed her father, brothers, and nephews, all older than her and more bloodthirsty than the last, is a bit excessive.

Robb was a big boy when he accepted that crown. If he wasn't ready for it, he should have refused, better yet, he should have never started playing at war in the first place. Anything and everything that happened to Robb, he should have been ready for. Blaming a young girl and wanting her to die for being used as a simple pawn in a game she never asked to play is, well, rather harsh. But then again, women suffer the worst in wartime and if she dies, I doubt anyone but Edmure would she'd a tear.

I agree that the "definitely" in GRRM's statement implies that she will not merely observed or recounted as alive in some trivial way. So how might she be substantial? That would seem to run along the following dimensions:

Something she 'is'

Something she 'does'

Something she 'has'

There's been some plausible speculation of the BwB and BF killing Freys at a Frey wedding at Riverrun. If the BtW and BF were to actually dominate the wedding, I could see them bringing out Jeyne for the climatic executions. Her presence and/or role there might serve powerful symbolism (justice): 'is' and 'does'.

There are 100's to 1000's of loyal Stark Northmen south of the Neck. They might gravitate toward her because of who she 'is', and if she's with BF, who may also attract, a nontrivial force might be forged.

Jeyne may know ('has') useful and impactful things of value to the North. What might she know of value, having so much time with Robb, neither of whom were PoV characters ( we don't know what we don't know). Of what she might know, I have little to suggest: another person that could credibly attest to Robb's will for succession, secret plans afoot by one or more groups of Northmen, diplomatic/alliance info, Stark financial accounts with Iron Bank or others, secrets of the crypts/tunnels of WF, Lannister/Westerman political nuggets, etc.

You have more ideas?

Cheers,

Fed

Edit. Fixed a typo

On Jeyne having eluded Jamie...with BF, I thought this plausible, but less so after this apparent GRRM "hips" quote. I still am still struck by BF's adamant refusal to turn over Jeyne when he treated with Jamie, only to just leave her behind because his foolish nephew returns. So what would motivate Jeyne's Mother to pass off the other daughter as Jeyne? She might have felt that Jeyne's willful flight might trash all the family gains that she had negotiated with Tywin. Why would her second daughter so convincingly portray her deep-in-love-with-Robb sister? Because she too loved him (not in a bad way) and was horrified at how gear Mother had betrayed them. But plausible doesn't equate to sure-thing.

Fed

What's more interesting to me about the GRRM quote that Jeyne is mentioning BOTH Pyat Pree and Qarth in the context of rambling about Dany's handmaids and bloodriders.

To me, this suggests he is sending her back to Qarth in the "you must travel East to go West", back to go forward etc. idea.

Maybe the what's left of the HOTU has a teleporter that will send her directly to Westeros... (kidding).

I guess a teleporter is the only way Dany will reach Westeros.

Archived