from GRRM's blog: Jeyne Westerling and other characters in TWoW

AccusedSinner

What's more interesting to me about the GRRM quote that Jeyne is mentioning BOTH Pyat Pree and Qarth in the context of rambling about Dany's handmaids and bloodriders.

To me, this suggests he is sending her back to Qarth in the "you must travel East to go West", back to go forward etc. idea.

Maybe the what's left of the HOTU has a teleporter that will send her directly to Westeros... (kidding).

I'd say this also all but confirms the 'Pyat Pree is on the Silence' theory, and also sounds like he'll die there! Left-of-field maester-pattern-busting prologue?

Euron made 3 of the warlocks eat the 4th one because he backtalked, I had assumed that was Pyat Pree. But George says he is alive, so apparently he wasn't eaten, he did the eating.

That's the only real spoiler I see in GRRM's post. We already knew about Mago from a past interview, and seeing more of Jeyne was kind of obvious. Since he says we will "definitely" see her, I take this to mean that he has already written about her, which means she likely shows up in the first half of the book. From whose POV we will see her though, I have no idea. Maybe Brienne/Jaime in the Riverlands.

So a user posted this comment to GRRM's blog about the video of all the characters that died in the show thus far, where GRRM commented that some characters may be dying that are still alive in the books:

To which GRRM replied:

Many of these are minor characters, but we know GRRM has said before that he wished the show hadn't killed Mago because he still has an important role to play. He says here that Mago will "definitely show up again." The other character where GRRM adds emphasis of their future appearances with the word "definitely" is Jeyne Westerling, that we will "definitely hear more" of her. To me, this read like she has a big role yet to play. Now I've never been one to subscribe to the notion that she is carrying Robb's child, but this certainly makes me think that she's not quietly exiting stage left, either (after Feast and the show killing off her counterpart I was starting to think she would just fade into obscurity). Thoughts?

Interestingly enough, this could be EXACTLY why the producers created a new character with a different name that they then killed off at the Red Wedding. I'm of the opinion that GRRM is heavily involved in the show plot discussions to keep things consistent and open ended. They strategically used a different person in order to not give anything away and also to leave it open ended "in case" Jeyne Westerling did need to make an appearance later.

To me this means two things: 1. At the time of creating the new character, D&D were aware that Jeyne Westerling needed to survive. 2. Jeyne Westerling is NOT PREGNANT with Robb's child.

There will be no major conflicts between the show and the books. As someone who has worked in TV, I believe that GRRM's tv background is somewhat unique for a writer in that he will completely respect the medium and the translation of his story. He will want the show to ultimately be true to his vision and I'm sure that was paramount before granting the rights to D&D that they share that belief.

Euron made 3 of the warlocks eat the 4th one because he backtalked, I had assumed that was Pyat Pree. But George says he is alive, so apparently he wasn't eaten, he did the eating.

Unless I missed something, he said we would learn his fate, not that he's alive. So... I guess he could've been eaten :)

Unless I missed something, he said we would learn his fate, not that he's alive. So... I guess he could've been eaten :)

The OP didn't quote this part of Martin's blog entry:

In my own (feeble) defense, however, let me point out that Irri, Rakharo, the Thirteen of Qarth, Xaro Xhoan Daxos, Mago (not seen in the video), and Pyat Pree are all still alive and well (more or less) in the books as of the end of A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. Like the guys in Spinal Tap, David and Dan do like to turn things up to 11.

http://grrm.livejour...com/328931.html

This probably ties in with Talisa writing all those letters to her mother in the TV series. Maybe it wasn't even Talisa at the RW (TV version), just her twin or something

That works if you see the show as a full-on American-style daytime soap opera, I suppose. "Days and Knights of Our Lives" perhaps or maybe "All My Warg Children?"

Any bets on the next character to be introduced being a "long lost" amnesiac evil twin who is also a secret Targaryen? Or if you want a less transparent plot twist, maybe a secret Blackfyre.

Jeyne Westerling isn't pregnant. Her mother expressly says she was given moon tea after the red wedding. The Westerlings couldn't risk her producing a Stark heir, that would put them in serious trouble with the lannisters. Of course she could have pretended to drink it, but I think the Westerlings would have made sure it was drunk. Tywin Lannister and Roose bolton were not men to cross, or disappoint.

RE: Pyat Pree, this is where the show issue comes in. He was offed by Dracarys on the show, so it seems unless there will be a significant dichotomy between show and books, he is dead in the books. Now that may be by Euron's hand, or something else, but it seems to me unlikely he will have a significant role to play even if he turns up alive in TWOW.

I bet we'll just get an update on what happened to Jeyne Westerling during someone's conversation as the characters ctch up on gossip. I'd be surprised if a POV character actually bumped into her in person. I'm thinking something along the lines that it's reported via raven that Westerling through herself from a window in grief over Robb or something.

Archived