A Song for Ellaria

Woman of War

Ellaria Sand is one of my favorite characters and I wished she might play a bigger role in future books. I believe she is the most reasonable, intelligent and kind female character Martin has invented so far. And she does for sure not give the vibe of being kind because she does not have the creativity to develop darker sides. She is consciously aware of what being revengeful and evil do and decides to choose a different approach. What will happen to her in future books?

Is she a guest star or will she play an important role in the story development?

Will she finally feel forced to seek revenge of for the death of her daughters or will she have a remotely positive fate?

"Oberyn wanted vengeance for Elia. Now the three of you want vengeance for him. I have four daughters, I remind you. Your sisters. My Elia is fourteen, almost a woman. Obella is twelve, on the brink of maidenhood. They worship you, as Dorea and Loreza worship them. If you should die, must El and Obella seek vengeance for you, then Dorea and Loree for them? Is that how it goes, round and round forever? I ask again, where does it end?" Ellaria Sand laid her hand on the Mountain’s head. “I saw your father die. Here is his killer. Can I take a skull to bed with me, to give me comfort in the night? Will it make me laugh, write me songs, care for me when I am old and sick?

We can easily assume that Ellaria is one side of the author's voice in the books. There are of course other examples like that wonderful speech of Septon Meribald or Tyrion's lines about reading and about bastards, cripples and broken things.

But there are darker lines as well. I wonder what the other lines or paragraphs are where the author speaks with a darker voice as cynical devil's advocate.

It's an echo of Cat's speech:

The lords looked at her, but it was Robb’s eyes she felt, his and his alone. “My lady, they murdered my lord father, your husband,” he said grimly. He unsheathed his longsword and laid it on the table before him, the bright steel on the rough wood. “This is the only peace I have for Lannisters.”

The Greatjon bellowed his approval, and other men added their voices, shouting and drawing swords and pounding their fists on the table.

Catelyn waited until they had quieted. “My lords,” she said then, “Lord Eddard was your liege, but I shared his bed and bore his children. Do you think I love him any less than you?” Her voice almost broke with her grief, but Catelyn took a long breath and steadied herself. “Robb, if that sword could bring him back, I should never let you sheathe it until Ned stood at my side once more ... but he is gone, and a hundred Whispering Woods will not change that. Ned is gone, and Daryn Hornwood, and Lord Karstark’s valiant sons, and many other good men besides, and none of them will return to us. Must we have more deaths still?”

“You are a woman, my lady,” the Greatjon rumbled in his deep voice. “Women do not understand these things.”

“You are the gentle sex,” said Lord Karstark, with the lines of grief fresh on his face. “A man has a need for vengeance.”

“Give me Cersei Lannister, Lord Karstark, and you would see how gentle a woman can be,” Catelyn replied. “Perhaps I do not understand tactics and strategy ... but I understand futility. We went to war when Lannister armies were ravaging the Riverlands, and Ned was a prisoner,falsely accused of treason. We fought to defend ourselves, and to win my lord’s freedom. Well, the one is done, and the other forever beyond our reach. I will mourn for Ned until the end of my days, but I must think of the living. I want my daughters back, and the queen holds them still. If I must trade our four Lannisters for their two Starks, I will call that a bargain and thank the gods. I want you safe, Robb, ruling at Winterfell from your father’s seat. I want you to live your life, to kiss a girl and wed a woman and father a son. I want to write an end to this. I want to go home, my lords, and weep for my husband.”

i personally think she's overrated

to me martin's prime female character was and always will be :bowdown: Lady Catelyn Stark :bowdown:

“Alyssa Arryn had seen her husband, her brothers, and all her children slain, and yet in life she had never shed a tear. So in death, the gods had decreed that she would know no rest until her weeping watered the black earth of the Vale, where the men she had loved were buried. Catelyn wondered how large a waterfall her own tears would make when she died.”

a waterfall of blood my lady

I love Cat, she is one of my favorite characters but she is, umm, changed by now.........

And of course I love more complex characters that personify darker sides as well and the character of Cat is hugely interesting because of that, her mistakes might be my mistakes, I can relate to her any time. Her sitting there with Brienne after hearing about Bran and Rickon and yet so very alone was one of the most touching moments in the books.

But Cat has been discussed in these forums, now it is Ellaria who deserves her song.

Ellaria is not "good" because she is less complex and too naive, because she lacks the intellectual ability and creativity for darkness but because she has chosen a way that marks her personality. Here she is like Brienne, not "good" for the lack of options to be evil but as a decision. And it will be an interesting study from the author's side how far this moral decision will get his characters.

That Prince Oberyn sure knew how to pick 'em.

It seems that we'll be seeing more of Ellaria's annoying daughter Lady Lance than we will of her in the days ahead, though...

Interestingly Ellaria's father and uncle, the Ullers, aren't with her re: peace et al; they refuse to raise their goblets to Ricasso's toast to King Tommen.

I personally really like Ellaria, too. I hope to see more of her in the upcoming books, she's the only one to see Doran's point of view on the whole matter and actually gives him some respect, whereas the Sand Snakes are constantly talking down to him.

I, myself, hope that Dorne gets some revenge on the Lannister's, starting with Cersei... but I realise Doran is playing the long game, and has to put the safety of his people before his own personal ambitions, I think Ellaria understands this too.

I notice everyone's content to ignore Sansa's callow opinion that Ellaria isn't truly beautiful: even the casting director!

Sansa does admit that "something about her draws the eye" though, doesn't she? Besides, Sansa probably has in mind the elevated standards of House Tyrell or House Lannister too, which might skew things a bit.

I notice everyone's content to ignore Sansa's callow opinion that Ellaria isn't truly beautiful: even the casting director!

I don't think Sansa meant it to be mean. She is just stating to us how Ellaria looks. And Ellaria may not be a great beauty even though she is still attractive, but there is something about her that turns the eye. That is what Sansa meant I think. Not only that but she is more a lady and noble even though she is a bastard than Cersei. Indira Varma is a very attractive woman and there is something about her. She doesn't look like a conventional beauty though IMO.

I also truly love Ellaria - I also believe that Ellaria is a means by which readers can gain insight into the kind of women Elia must have been, so I would love to see more of her, even if it is only to learn more about Princess Elia!

I don't think Sansa meant it to be mean. She is just stating to us how Ellaria looks. And Ellaria may not be a great beauty even though she is still attractive, but there is something about her that turns the eye. That is what Sansa meant I think. Not only that but she is more a lady and noble even though she is a bastard than Cersei. Indira Varma is a very attractive woman and there is something about her. She doesn't look like a conventional beauty though IMO.

In the words of Hercule Poirot "le sex appeal!" More seriously, I agree - it's probably also partly rooted in Ellaria's loving and warm personality~

You're right on all counts, and I was mainly teasing...though this probably says more about how distorted both Westerosi and modern, western conceits of 'conventional beauty' are than anything else. I love your point about Ellaria's innate nobility of character. It combines interestingly with her randy reaction to none other than Cersei, unless that was Oberyn's vicious little joke!

Archived