Why wasn't Catelyn and Tullys at the great Tourney of Harrenhal?

MidnightAurora

Hmm. Yes.

I admit that the information is very much scattered through the entire series. Luckily, we have a nice summary. From the official app, Lysa Tully entry:

She grows to love her father's ward, Petyr Baelish , and on a night when Petyr had becomes drunk after learning that Brandon Stark is betrothed to Lysa's sister Catelyn , Lysa gives Petyr her maidenhead. Later, when Petyr is gravely injured in his duel with Brandon Stark, Lysa tends to his hurts and again sleeps with him. This time, she conceives a child. She reveals the pregnancy to her father in the belief that he will have to let her marry the banished Petyr, but instead Lord Tully forces her to drink moon tea to purge herself of the pregnancy. Lysa nearly dies from this.

We hear Lysa telling us about her first time with Petyr, and the fact that he called her "Cat". We learn that she was pregnant, and from Hoster we learn how that ended. Before the app's big update, it was speculated that Hoster had send LF away because of Lysa's pregnancy. The update on the app revealed that LF was send away first, and then Lysa revealed her pregnancy.

As the app contains stuff from the books and GRRMs notes, and is overseen by Ran and Linda, I have faith ;)

ASOS 80 SANSA

How would you like to spend your life on that bleak shore, surrounded by slatterns and sheep pellets? That was what my father meant for Petyr. Everyone thought it was because of that stupid duel with Brandon Stark, but that wasn’t so.

There is still an inconsistency on Lysa's pregnancy, but the sex during the nursing is confirmed, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Tullys not at Harrenhal.

I completely missed this. And this is the first thread I have read on this subject.

There are Starks in attendance -- but no mention of Brandon Stark. Very odd. And Cat never mentions it.

Perhaps when someone loosens up on all that went on at Harrenhal, we will get the story of the missing Tullys.

Tullys not at Harrenhal.

I completely missed this. And this is the first thread I have read on this subject.

There are Starks in attendance -- but no mention of Brandon Stark. Very odd. And Cat never mentions it.

Perhaps when someone loosens up on all that went on at Harrenhal, we will get the story of the missing Tullys.

It is actually pretty well covered already, earlier on the thread.

You mean this?

I think people are forgetting some important details:

It wasn't just that Cat was betrothed to Brandon. Lysa was supposed to marry Jamie until Aerys's nasty KG move. Tullys attending the tournament with Aerys present would have meant pissing off Tywin, Hoster's intended ally (who also did not attend) and meekly accepting Aerys's sabotaging move without protest.

This issue might actually be a key in the end to something that has been puzzling me: Why Barristan said Aerys's attemdance at the tourney ruined everything.

even if everyone did not, the family of Jamie's betrothed would definitely have been told by Tywin himself if noone else.

Jamie in the KG is precisely why Tywin did not attend. He definitely knew.

Okay, you got a point there. That's an explanation I'm satisfied with.

So there were no Tullys at Harrenhal because Aerys II. was a dickhead.

If the Tullys were enraged that Jaime was given the white cloak, and stayed away in protest (claiming illness or something), then it is to follow that Brandon Stark did not attend to support Cat who would be annoyed at Aerys on her sister's behalf. But a raft of other Starks attended?

Aerys made Jaime KG just to enrage Tywin, his childhood bud. Tywin has resigned as Hand, and gone home in a huff. Aerys would take that from Tywin.

If Branden Stark did not appear that may have made Aerys a bit more ready to stew him later on, and to punish the father as well.

It is still odd that Cat never mentioned the tourney at Harrenhall, when the actions that day were later to reflect on her family.

You mean this?

If the Tullys were enraged that Jaime was given the white cloak, and stayed away in protest (claiming illness or something), then it is to follow that Brandon Stark did not attend to support Cat who would be annoyed at Aerys on her sister's behalf. But a raft of other Starks attended?

Aerys made Jaime KG just to enrage Tywin, his childhood bud. Tywin has resigned as Hand, and gone home in a huff. Aerys would take that from Tywin.

If Branden Stark did not appear that may have made Aerys a bit more ready to stew him later on, and to punish the father as well.

It is still odd that Cat never mentioned the tourney at Harrenhall, when the actions that day were later to reflect on her family.

Brandon Stark very clearly attended the Tourney. he is mentioned in evrey single recounting of the event and introduced Ned to Ashara.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I think it was just an oversight by GRRM. If you think about it, the tourney parts were thrown in as sort of flash back sequences.

What different characters remembered of the time. I think he just wrote enough to make his point at the time not bothering

with details which would just take more time and pages to write. It could be possible like someone said that Hoster was

pissed that Aerys screwed up his plan to wed Lysa to Jaime. Or if there was a southron ambition angle he didn't want it

to look obvious by him attending. Sometimes I get the feeling GRRM gets tired of all the tourney questions and we may never

get answers to some of them.

• 1 month later...

I posted this topic a couple years ago and quite surprised by the response and theories. I know Catelyn didn't see Ned before the wedding because she imagined Ned as a younger Brandon and was disappointed at first by him. I am also surprised Bryden and Cat's brother weren't there. Even if the liege lord could not come surely he would send a representative. He was a high lord and if Rhagear was planning on meeting with the high lords to overthrow his father wouldn't he have included the Lord of Riverrun?

Archived