Small questions v.10010

Angalin

Is there some RL counterpart to Egg?

ETA: To be more precise, I am talking about Eggon V the king, not so much his younger self

Maybe John I who was the youngest son of Henry 2nd. he was even called Lackland because his father had no more lands to leave him

He was even chosen to be king of england over his older brothers children

A Mel switcheroo would have been pretty tricky since we read the knifing from Jon's POV.

Mance chalked up his knowledged to regular interaction betweem the NW and folks north of the Wall.

My crackpot theory is that it was Tormund's missing son not Jon that got stabbed.

thanks could she have switched them during the attack "he never felt the 4th blow"? why did the attackers say "for the watch"?

Why did Ned claim Joff was the rightful King I believe he would not have done that, not honorable Ned Stark (I'm going to reread his last chapter)

Acting as a go-between for Cersei and Ned, who was imprisoned in the Black Cells, Varys negotiated an agreement that would have him confess to treason and support Joffrey’s right to rule. To force Ned's acquiescence, Cersei threatened to execute Sansa. In exchange for Ned's acquiescence, his daughter Sansa would have remained in King’s Landing but she would have been treated gently (although Robb, as the new Lord of Winterfell, probably would have been able to secure her release). Rather than losing his head, Ned was to join the Night’s Watch but i doubt this was a priority for him. He would not have sacrificed his honor for his own life. He did it for Sansa.

I also suspect that Ned attempted to secure the safety of Gendry and Barra as well. Most likely he would have done so through Varys rather than Cersei but Cersei surely knew of the bastards since she maintained her own network of spies. Recall that he promised Robert that he would take care of his true offspring as if they were his own. Ned knew about Gendry, Barra, Mya & Edric. He would have assumed that the latter two were out of Cersei's reach and like Varys he probably assumed that Barra was not in danger but I'll bet he was behind the attempt to secure Gendry's safety.

thanks could she have switched them during the attack "he never felt the 4th blow"? why did the attackers say "for the watch"?

Such a trick would require some explanation. I'd put that into the realm of crackpot but you never know. I believe the attack was motivated, at least in part, by a feeling that Jon was not living up to his obligations by letting Wildlings pass and taking sides inthe war (is it still the WOT5K?).

Such a trick would require some explanation. I'd put that into the realm of crackpot but you never know. I believe the attack was motivated, at least in part, by a feeling that Jon was not living up to his obligations by letting Wildlings pass and taking sides inthe war (is it still the WOT5K?).

letting the wildings through was stannis's work, in dance jon advises stannis they would love him more if he allows them to keep their own religion

letting the wildings through was stannis's work, in dance jon advises stannis they would love him more if he allows them to keep their own religion

Stannis let the ones that surrendered through. Jon let an army pass.

Stannis let the ones that surrendered through. Jon let an army pass.

thanks currently doing a reread of dance and only at the part where stannis lets them pass, is it later jon lets the rest through or has that already happened and ive forgot? the way I remember it stannis set the precedent by letting the first ones through and then jon lets a far greater number through is that correct?

My crackpot theory is that it was Tormund's missing son not Jon that got stabbed.

What missing son? Torwynd and Dormund are dead, Dryn is like nine and Toregg was in the Shieldhall when Jon made his speech.

How? Melisandre doesn't have the power to teleport people or switch their bodies. They say "for the watch" because they feel that Jon is the worst Lord Commander the watch has had since the Night's King. He let the wildlings in and announced he was breaking the neutrality of the watch by riding south to give battle to the Warden of the North or his son.

Tyrion, first chapter in CoK: He's talking to Cersei and then their dialogue goes like this:

"Was it Joffrey's wish to dismiss Ser Barristan Selmy from his Kingsguard too?" Cersei sighed. "Joff wanted someone to blame for Robert's death. Varys suggested Ser Barristan. Why not? [...]"

[...]

"Ser Barristan was the Lord Commander of Robert Baratheon's Kingsguard", Tyrion reminded her pointedly. "He and Jaime are the only survivors of Aerys Targaryen's seven. The smallfolk talk of him in the same way they talk of Serwyn of the Mirror Shield and Prince Aemon the Dragonknight What do you imagine they'll think when they see Barristan the Bold riding beside Robb Stark or Stannis Baratheon?"

I'm feeling stupid right now for not getting this before.. but making Selmy join Dany's army and become her Lord Commander was Varys' plan all along, wasn't it? He and Belwas were sent to Dany by Illyrio and since Illyrio is working together with Varys, I suppose Varys wanted Selmy to be kicked out of the Kingsguard so Dany could have strong and wise bodyguard, right?

What missing son? Torwynd and Dormund are dead, Dryn is like nine and Toregg was in the Shieldhall when Jon made his speech.

How? Melisandre doesn't have the power to teleport people or switch their bodies. They say "for the watch" because they feel that Jon is the worst Lord Commander the watch has had since the Night's King. He let the wildlings in and announced he was breaking the neutrality of the watch by riding south to give battle to the Warden of the North or his son.

she switched mance and rattleshirt

Tyrion, first chapter in CoK: He's talking to Cersei and then their dialogue goes like this:

I'm feeling stupid right now for not getting this before.. but making Selmy join Dany's army and become her Lord Commander was Varys' plan all along, wasn't it? He and Belwas were sent to Dany by Illyrio and since Illyrio is working together with Varys, I suppose Varys wanted Selmy to be kicked out of the Kingsguard so Dany could have strong and wise bodyguard, right?

Could be but not necessarily. Barristan despised Varys. The rest of the KG was very easy to manipulate. Removing Barristan alone was in Varys's interest. Barristan sought out Illyrio on his own. As LC of the KG he sat on the SC and knew that Dany was with him in Pentos before wedding Drogo.

thanks currently doing a reread of dance and only at the part where stannis lets them pass, is it later jon lets the rest through or has that already happened and ive forgot? the way I remember it stannis set the precedent by letting the first ones through and then jon lets a far greater number through is that correct?

Stannis does it first. Jon then sends Val to find Tormund and negotiates his entry into the 7K.

she switched mance and rattleshirt

She glamoured Rattleshirt to look like Mance and then Mance to look like Rattleshirt. She didn't physically switch them while one was in mid-peril. It's not something you could do while people are looking.

She glamoured Rattleshirt to look like Mance and then Mance to look like Rattleshirt. She didn't physically switch them while one was in mid-peril. It's not something you could do while people are looking.

thanks im trying to gauge what her powers can do and what "glamoured" meant

Stannis does it first. Jon then sends Val to find Tormund and negotiates his entry into the 7K.

exactly so stannis done it first letting a thousand through then jon let tormunds 3-4 thousand through so even though stan set the precedent the nw still find jon doing it unacceptable

Mance chalked up his knowledged to regular interaction betweem the NW and folks north of the Wall.

The specific knowledge of Robert's visit to Winterfell was Mance's own legwork. Recall that it's revealed he was actually present at the festivities - he was the jolly bard.

exactly so stannis done it first letting a thousand through then jon let tormunds 3-4 thousand through so even though stan set the precedent the nw still find jon doing it unacceptable

I'm pretty sure that cadre felt Stannis's action was unacceptable but Stannis was too strong at that point and at least he saved the Wall. Then Jon takes over, let's a whole army, sends men from Eastwatch to their likely deaths and plans to lead more NW to rescue starving Wildlings at Hardhome. The camel's back was probably already broken but Jon's decision to lead Wildings against Ramsey was pretty significant too.

The specific knowledge of Robert's visit to Winterfell was Mance's own legwork. Recall that it's revealed he was actually present at the festivities - he was the jolly bard.

Absolutely, but the question was how did Mance learn Robert was coming in the first place. He told Jon the news spread by informal but regular contct across the Wall.

Absolutely, but the question was how did Mance learn Robert was coming in the first place. He told Jon the news spread by informal but regular contct across the Wall.

yep its the claim of "interaction" between mance/the wildings and the nw that's intriguing, I didn't think there where any lines of communication between them at that point (other than the nw and craster)

In that regard, it's not hard to imagine that Mance, as a former NW himself, kept many contacts in the NW and had his "network". The wildling-NW connection runs deeper than those in Westeros care to admit.

Archived