Small questions v.10010

Angalin

Not a small question, just an interesting bit of information and foreshadowing that I picked up on my second read through that I thought I would share.

AGoT pg. 348

"We learned that to our sorrow, Ser Donnel," Catelyn said. Sometimes she felt as though her heart had turned to stone;

An interesting choice of words for Catelyn to use; a heart of stone.

Now for a bit of a small question:

This is also from AGoT pg. 390

"You're as stupid as you are ugly, Hali," said the tall woman. "The boy's worth nothing dead, but alive...gods be damned, think what Mance would give to have Benjen Stark's own blood to hostage!"

If Benjen Stark is dead, then why would it be so important to Mance to have "Benjen Stark's own blood to hostage"? He must still be alive somewhere doing something if it is that big of a deal to Mance (or the wildlings think it would be at least)

Not a small question, just an interesting bit of information and foreshadowing that I picked up on my second read through that I thought I would share.

AGoT pg. 348

An interesting choice of words for Catelyn to use; a heart of stone.

Now for a bit of a small question:

This is also from AGoT pg. 390

If Benjen Stark is dead, then why would it be so important to Mance to have "Benjen Stark's own blood to hostage"? He must still be alive somewhere doing something if it is that big of a deal to Mance (or the wildlings think it would be at least)

There's a cool thread called moments of foreshadowing. It's up to version 5 now. And the BJ thing probably does belong in one of those threads or you could always start your own. But if you want a small answer I'd say it was Bran's Stark name that held the real allure. Osha's party would have fled south around the time BJ disappeared, no? So they really wouldn't have known he was missing. And I think recent events suggest that Mance wasn't holding BJ but you never know...

Did anyone else think Pyat Pree was the warlock Euron killed? I'm not so sure after reading this comment from Martin:

If they are alive in the books, they are alive in the books, and may well turn up again. Irri (and Jhiqui) is still serving as Dany's handmaid, Rakharo remains one of her bloodriders, Mago will definitely show up again. You will learn the fate of Pyat Pree in WINDS. The Thirteen are still one of the factions contending for power in Qarth. You may see more of Alayaya and Chataya as well, and you will definitely hear more of Jeyne Westerling.

There's a cool thread called moments of foreshadowing. It's up to version 5 now. And the BJ thing probably does belong in one of those threads or you could always start your own. But if you want a small answer I'd say it was Bran's Stark name that held the real allure. Osha's party would have fled south around the time BJ disappeared, no? So they really wouldn't have known he was missing. And I think recent events suggest that Mance wasn't holding BJ but you never know...

Oh cool, I didn't know about the foreshadowing thread. Still pretty new to here. Yeah I didn't think Mance was holding BJ but I just thought it was interesting that they would hold his "blood" in such high regard. But I think you're right, Osha's wildling party would have been headed south already when BJ disappears, but I am not sure how long it would have taken them to get there compared to how long it's been since BJ went missing.

Did anyone else think Pyat Pree was the warlock Euron killed? I'm not so sure after reading this comment from Martin:

I definitely did. But it could be as Lost Melnibonean suggests and we merely learn the manner of his death in Winds. I've also seen it suggested that he was one of the three warlocks who weren't killed and were forced to eat their dead comrade by Euron. :ack:

Tyrion, first chapter in CoK: He's talking to Cersei and then their dialogue goes like this:

I'm feeling stupid right now for not getting this before.. but making Selmy join Dany's army and become her Lord Commander was Varys' plan all along, wasn't it? He and Belwas were sent to Dany by Illyrio and since Illyrio is working together with Varys, I suppose Varys wanted Selmy to be kicked out of the Kingsguard so Dany could have strong and wise bodyguard, right?

Very interesting.maybe he meant to set ser barristan up with faegon, then when hearing about her dragons they sent him and belwas to dany instead.

could mean we'll just read the back story of his death...

Well, we already heard that story:

I captured a certain galleas out of Qarth, along with some cloves and nutmeg, forty bolts of green silk, and four warlocks who told a curious tale. One presumed to threaten me, so I killed him and fed him to the other three. They refused to eat of their friend’s flesh at first, but when they grew hungry enough they had a change of heart. Men are meat.”

I just assumed Pree was the one who threatened Euron because he seemed to be their leader. Now I am not as sure. Maybe he is one of the three who survived or maybe he never made it out of Qarth.

I always wondered regarding Tysha, whether Tyrion realized that she was actually raped but didn't care because she was a prostitute or he thought that she was "working" when she had sex with the Lannister men - Tyrion was 13 at that time and if Tysha was too scared to fight back then it would be really easy for him to misunderstand what was going on.

Is there any quote in the books proving either way beyond any doubt?

In a Feast for Crows Cersei refers to Margaery's Septa Nysterica as "pox faced", and I was wondering if this could be the eldest Daughter of Elys and Alys of the Vale that Petyr said later in the same book had been left terribly scarred by the pox that killed her sisters who therefore became a Septa? Do we know anything else about either Margaery's Septa or the Arryn girl? I don't know that it's important, but with LF you never know.

In a Feast for Crows Cersei refers to Margaery's Septa Nysterica as "pox faced", and I was wondering if this could be the eldest Daughter of Elys and Alys of the Vale that Petyr said later in the same book had been left terribly scarred by the pox that killed her sisters who therefore became a Septa? Do we know anything else about either Margaery's Septa or the Arryn girl? I don't know that it's important, but with LF you never know.

Interesting. Nysterica was also described as pox-scarred (and homely but jolly) by Sansa back in ASOS, but that's the extent of what else I could dig up on her. I don't exactly see how it would impact the plot, but at least as an easter egg backstory of a minor character it seems quite possible.

Interesting. Nysterica was also described as pox-scarred (and homely but jolly) by Sansa back in ASOS, but that's the extent of what else I could dig up on her. I don't exactly see how it would impact the plot, but at least as an easter egg backstory of a minor character it seems quite possible.

I was just thinking that of the Tyrell-Lannister pact is soon to be at an end, then who else would the Tyrells ally with? If the Septa is Harry the Heir's aunt and he inherits the Vale, then who better to broker an alliance? With Sansa's claim to the North, Harry's claim to the Vale, and LF's claim to the Riverlands, the Tyrells might ally with them and all together they'd be a force to be reckoned with to either ally with Aegon, Dany, or oppose them all together.

IDK I've re read Ned's las chapter and he randomly thought about secret passages that Baelor the cruel made, that might be a hint, I will believe he is alive till the very end.

Ned will remain alive in our hearts till the very end.

I always wondered regarding Tysha, whether Tyrion realized that she was actually raped but didn't care because she was a prostitute or he thought that she was "working" when she had sex with the Lannister men - Tyrion was 13 at that time and if Tysha was too scared to fight back then it would be really easy for him to misunderstand what was going on.

Is there any quote in the books proving either way beyond any doubt?

Jaime told him (by their father's instruction) that Tysha was a whore paid to take his virginity and he never doubted the words of his brother. As a punishment for him marrying a whore, Tywin gave Tysha to his men and each man who took her paid her a silver stag. Not sure what 13y/o Tyrion was thinking exactly at that time but in his 1st POV in ADWD, he said that Tysha was raped by his father's guardsmen and he took part in it.
It reminded him of how Tysha would riffle his hair during the false spring of their marriage, before he helped his father's guardsmen rape her...

I think the Tysha's rape was a recent revelation for Tyrion. At first he thought she was a whore so she was doing it all of her consent. I mean idk I''m not sure but I think so. But yeah when he found out she wasn't a whore, then he realized that she was raped.

Archived