Small questions v.10010

Angalin

That was an invention by the TV series. TVCersei tells Catelyn about a black haired boy who died in infancy, but GRRM's Cersei only ever had three children (Joff, Myrc & Tommen).

Ahhhhhh that explains it. I was thinking that this might throw a wrench in Maggy the Frog's prophecy that Cersei would only have three children.

Yeah, the godswood in Winterfell doesn't burn either. Though Stannis does burn the one at Storm's End. I don't know for sure there was a weirwood at Storm's End, but I don't see why there wouldn't be.

Didn't the Children of the Forest help to build that castle?

They might have, I think it's rumored that Bran the Builder was involved. There is magic of some sort in the walls, since Melisandre needed Davos to smuggle her past them.

"Legend claims that it was built by Durran, the first Storm King during the Dawn Age, who declared a war against the gods after they killed his family and guests, ruining his wedding to their daughter Elenei. It was said that he raised six each larger and more formidable until he raised Storm's End. Some believe this was because the children of the forest took a hand in its construction, using their magics in the raising the castle walls allowing it to resist the storms. Others believe that a young boy who grew up to be Bran the Builder advised Durran on its construction. The truth of the matter is unknown."

From the Wiki:

The mighty fortress called Storm's End has stood for centuries, facing the terrible weather of Shipbreaker Bay with little wear to show for it. Legend claims that it was built by Durran, the firstStorm King during the Dawn Age, who declared a war against the gods after they killed his family and guests, ruining his wedding to their daughter Elenei. It was said that he raised six each larger and more formidable until he raised Storm's End. Some believe this was because the children of the forest took a hand in its construction, using their magics in the raising the castle walls allowing it to resist the storms. Others believe that a young boy who grew up to be Bran the Builder advised Durran on its construction. The truth of the matter is unknown.

If accurate then either Bran the Builder was a sorcerer or the COTF at least helped. Either way you'd expect to find weirwood heart tree.

Another silly question: In one of Dany's Storm of Swords Chapters, she discusses "the night she was concieved". Does anyone have a quote from that, or can anyone tell me what she was thinking and which night exactly she thought she was conceived? Please and Thank you.

I don't remember if she ever discussed that with Jorah, Barristan, or anyone but she did mention about the day/night she was born and why she was called Daenerys Stormborn. Jaime, otoh, mentioned in his second AFFC POV the night Dany was conceived.
But whenever Aerys gave a man to the flames, Queen Rhaella would have a visitor in the night. The day he burned his mace-and-dagger Hand, Jaime and Jon Darry had stood at guard outside her bedchamber whilst the king took his pleasure. "You're hurting me," they had heard Rhaella cry though the oaken door. "You're hurting me." In some queer way, that had been worse than Lord Chelsted's screaming. "We are sworn to protect her as well," Jaime had finally been driven to say. "We are," Darry allowed, "but not from him."

Jaime had only seen Rhaella once after that, the morning of the day she left for Dragonstone..."

I guess only Jaime knows the truth about that matter.

I don't remember if she ever discussed that with Jorah, Barristan, or anyone but she did mention about the day/night she was born and why she was called Daenerys Stormborn. Jaime, otoh, mentioned in his second AFFC POV the night Dany was conceived.

Yes I remember Jaime's POV as well, he was describing Aerys's killing of Lord Rickard and Brandon Stark, and Jaime recalls how the burnings got Aerys's all "fired up". Jaime describes the scene where Aerys is essentially raping his wife, and Jaime and the KG Darry can only sit outside the door and listen because, as Darry says, they couldn't protect the queen from the king. Jaime then goes on to say that the Queen and Viserys left KL for Dragonstone, so one can infer that Dany was conceived that night.

HOWEVER I came across a passage where Dany mentioned her conception (not birth) and something stuck out to me as fishy. But I can't recall the passage. It may have just been a typo or minor error. But when I came across it, something just seemed funny, idk I'll have to go back and find it some day I guess.

HOWEVER I came across a passage where Dany mentioned her conception (not birth) and something stuck out to me as fishy. But I can't recall the passage. It may have just been a typo or minor error. But when I came across it, something just seemed funny, idk I'll have to go back and find it some day I guess.

Please do. Can't recall that either.

This?

A crown should not sit easy on the head. One of her royal

forebears had said that, once. Some Aegon, but which one? Five Aegons had ruled the Seven Kingdoms

of Westeros. There would have been a sixth, but the Usurper’s dogs had murdered her brother’s son

when he was still a babe at the breast. If he had lived, I might have married him. Aegon would have been

closer to my age than Viserys. Dany had only been conceived when Aegon and his sister were murdered.

Their father, her brother Rhaegar, perished even earlier, slain by the Usurper on the Trident. Her

brother Viserys had died screaming in Vaes Dothrak with a crown of molten gold upon his head.

This may not be a small question, but we all know that Howland Reed was highly regarded by Ned Stark. It's clear from the text that he was a staunch bannerman of Ned's throughout RR, and the Crannogmen have pledged fealty to House Stark.

My question is, it seems from multiple descriptions, from Jojen and Meera's to Luwin's Ned had a particularly strong affinity for Howland. Is this merely because he saved his life at the TOJ, or were they already best buds (save Robert)? And if so, do we know how they came to be best buds, given how reclusive Reed is?

This may not be a small question, but we all know that Howland Reed was highly regarded by Ned Stark. It's clear from the text that he was a staunch bannerman of Ned's throughout RR, and the Crannogmen have pledged fealty to House Stark.

My question is, it seems from multiple descriptions, from Jojen and Meera's to Luwin's Ned had a particularly strong affinity for Howland. Is this merely because he saved his life at the TOJ, or were they already best buds (save Robert)? And if so, do we know how they came to be best buds, given how reclusive Reed is?

They met and became friends during the tournament at Harrenhal shortly before the rebellion. Presumably they got closer during the war.

From the app, it was Lyanna who introduced him to her siblings after she chased the cruel squires who were set upon him. Then it says "Howland befriends the Starks, and is among Eddard Stark's battle companions during the rebellion." He saved Ned of course at the ToJ then went with him North after but never departs the Neck again.

forebears had said that, once. Some Aegon, but which one? Five Aegons had ruled the Seven Kingdoms

of Westeros. There would have been a sixth, but the Usurper’s dogs had murdered her brother’s son

when he was still a babe at the breast. If he had lived, I might have married him. Aegon would have been

closer to my age than Viserys. Dany had only been conceived when Aegon and his sister were murdered.

Their father, her brother Rhaegar, perished even earlier, slain by the Usurper on the Trident. Her

brother Viserys had died screaming in Vaes Dothrak with a crown of molten gold upon his head.

AHA! That's the one! I guess it wasn't in ASOS after all. Thanks RumHum, that's a big help.

AHA! That's the one! I guess it wasn't in ASOS after all. Thanks RumHum, that's a big help.

Yeah, I get what you mean.

I believe they were married at The Twins the first time Robb and company showed up there.

Yes but I would think it was after the Battle of the Green Fork when Roose retreated up the causeway or maybe on his way back down to the Ruby Ford.

Archived