Small questions v.10010

Angalin

How did Ned know Lyanna was in the tower of joy?

Wasn't the Tower of Joy a place Rhaegar was known to frequent?

We don't know for a certainty, though everyone has their theories. He didn't go to the ToJ until after the seige at Strom's Landing, so either someone their said something that would make him head that way or someone found him after. He would have relinquished command, in my opinion, to find Lyanna sooner if someone told him before. And I don't think the ToJ was mentioned other than them being there at the onset of the Rebellion. He was known to frequent Summerhall though, maybe you got the two confused? They're both in/near Dorne.

But he went to Starfall AFTER the tower of joy, to return Arthur Dayne's sword, so he saw Ashara after...

...needless to say, All Will Be Revealed in Good Time. I will give you this much, however; Ashara Dayne was not nailed to the floor in Starfall, as some of the fans who write me seem to assume. They have horses in Dorne too, you know. And boats (though not many of their own). As a matter of fact (a tiny tidbit from SOS), she was one of Princess Elia's lady companions in King's Landing, in the first few years after Elia married Rhaegar.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1040/

Any idea why Tormund called the Horn-Blower? In ASOS, "it was the horn blowing [Jon] particularly wanted to hear about, but he dared not ask too plainly." Now I'm gettin' curious juz like Jon. :D Then he thought, "And Joramun blew the Horn of Winter, and woke giants from the earth. Is that where they had come from, them and their mammoths? Had Mance Rayder found the Horn of Joramun, and given it to Tormund Thunderfist to blow?"

Thoughts???

The questioner was trying to exclude Ashara from being Jon's mom since he was older than Dany, Dany was born about nine months after the sack of KL, and Jon turned 15 around the time Dany turned 14. The question was asked before Storm was published so all he had to go on was Cat's speculation that Ned banged Ashara after he killed Arthur. Martin's response was clearly desgned to suggest that Ned and Ashara could have hooked up earlier. I don't think it really casts light on how Ned knew to look for Lyanna at the TOJ. If Rhaegar's fondness for the TOJ was not widely known, maybe he got the info from Varys. Varys had to make himself useful to Ned and Robert and even Tywin and Jon Arryn at the time or his bald head would have ended up on a spike.

Any idea why Tormund called the Horn-Blower? In ASOS, "it was the horn blowing [Jon] particularly wanted to hear about, but he dared not ask too plainly." Now I'm gettin' curious juz like Jon. :D Then he thought, "And Joramun blew the Horn of Winter, and woke giants from the earth. Is that where they had come from, them and their mammoths? Had Mance Rayder found the Horn of Joramun, and given it to Tormund Thunderfist to blow?"

Thoughts???

I think it's because Mance's plan or bluff is to have Tormund blow the horn.

“If you refuse,” Mance Rayder said, “Tormund Giantsbane will sound the Horn of Winter three days hence, at dawn.”

The questioner was trying to exclude Ashara from being Jon's mom since he was older than Dany, Dany was born about nine months after the sack of KL, and Jon turned 15 around the time Dany turned 14. The question was asked before Storm was published so all he had to go on was Cat's speculation that Ned banged Ashara after he killed Arthur. Martin's response was clearly desgned to suggest that Ned and Ashara could have hooked up earlier. I don't think it really casts light on how Ned knew to look for Lyanna at the TOJ. If Rhaegar's fondness for the TOJ was not widely known, maybe he got the info from Varys. Varys had to make himself useful to Ned and Robert and even Tywin and Jon Arryn at the time or his bald head would have ended up on a spike.

I know the question itself isn't relevant, but the bit about Ashara not being stuck in Starfall is. I really doubt she was in King's Landing during the sack but she could have been around somewhere. I don't really have a pet theory on how he learned of the Tower of Joy, it could have been Varys or even Jamie. Someone in Kings Landing knew Rhaegar had been staying there cause Aerys sent one of the Kingsguard to fetch him. Jamie might well have been guarding the king when he sent Hightower to the tower.

Thoughts???

There's quite a few theories on this. Either because he was supposed to blow the Horn of winter (“If you refuse,” Mance Rayder said, “Tormund Giantsbane will sound the Horn of Winter three days hence, at dawn.”) or he did (Jon speculating that is where the Giants and Mammoths come from) or that something about him (his blood for some reason) allows him to blow the horn. (Becuase the horn Crow's Eye had killed the one who blew it some say that only special persons can sound them without injury and to fufill the purpose of the horn.) Or it could have nothing to do with "The Horn" at all, and just simply refer to him sounding a horn of attack in a previous battle of some sort.

I think it's because Mance's plan or bluff is to have Tormund blow the horn.

There's quite a few theories on this. Either because he was supposed to blow the Horn of winter (“If you refuse,” Mance Rayder said, “Tormund Giantsbane will sound the Horn of Winter three days hence, at dawn.”) or he did (Jon speculating that is where the Giants and Mammoths come from) or that something about him (his blood for some reason) allows him to blow the horn. (Becuase the horn Crow's Eye had killed the one who blew it some say that only special persons can sound them without injury and to fufill the purpose of the horn.) Or it could have nothing to do with "The Horn" at all, and just simply refer to him sounding a horn of attack in a previous battle of some sort.

Thanks for the responses. :kiss:

Suggested many times before, we're in the waiting room to see if it'll happen or not. :P

Though perhaps the shifting through time and space is a kind of 'flying' as well.

Welcome to the forum!

Ok, cool and thanks :)

Second question. With the Greyjoys having the Kraken as their house sigil, it seems safe to say that the krakens are part of this world. Are they ever referred to as having existed? and will they ever return for the last two books?

Second question. With the Greyjoys having the Kraken as their house sigil, it seems safe to say that the krakens are part of this world. Are they ever referred to as having existed? and will they ever return for the last two books?

There are several threads devoted to these questions try the search function. Or go to Google, type AFOIAF ... , and have at it.

During one of the small council meetings, Varys reports that a kraken (a real one, not a Greyjoy) was spotted in the Narrow Sea.

There are several threads devoted to these questions try the search function. Or go to Google, type AFOIAF ... , and have at it.

During one of the small council meetings, Varys reports that a kraken (a real one, not a Greyjoy) was spotted in the Narrow Sea.

Thanks! Just noticed that search bar. :bang:

Its vague whether or not krakens are real. Varys does say that one had been sighted, but he might've said that because he wanted to make the rumors about Danny's dragons seem ridiculous. I think the book also talks about like a horn that's used to call krakens, but yeah who knows if that's real.

I'm particularly intrigued by House Mormont, because of how unorthodox they seem to be in comparison to the other "old, honorable" houses. While I'm not exactly sure why Jeor Mormont gave up his seat to serve the Night's Watch (he fought with Ned and the North in Robert's Rebellion, so there's no shame preceding his decision), I'm fascinated by the matriarchy left after Jorah fled to the Free Cities.

I read the posts concerning the Whent/Hornwood issue, but I'm a little surprised that the Mormonts didn't have any other male relative to suceed the lordship and the seat fell to Maege instead, Jeor's sister.

Why didn't the old and honorable House of Mormont have no surviving heirs connected by blood, however distant?

In that aspect, I'm also confused by the tendency of female Mormonts conceiving children with unnamed men. Alysane claims her children were fathered by a bear and Maege obviously doesn't have a husband, who would have assimilated her and their children into his house anyways.

In a culture that looks down upon bastards and female succession, why does this badass house seem to be exempt from society's rules?

I'm particularly intrigued by House Mormont, because of how unorthodox they seem to be in comparison to the other "old, honorable" houses. While I'm not exactly sure why Jeor Mormont gave up his seat to serve the Night's Watch (he fought with Ned and the North in Robert's Rebellion, so there's no shame preceding his decision), I'm fascinated by the matriarchy left after Jorah fled to the Free Cities.

I read the posts concerning the Whent/Hornwood issue, but I'm a little surprised that the Mormonts didn't have any other male relative to suceed the lordship and the seat fell to Maege instead, Jeor's sister.

Why didn't the old and honorable House of Mormont have no surviving heirs connected by blood, however distant?

In that aspect, I'm also confused by the tendency of female Mormonts conceiving children with unnamed men. Alysane claims her children were fathered by a bear and Maege obviously doesn't have a husband, who would have assimilated her and their children into his house anyways.

In a culture that looks down upon bastards and female succession, why does this badass house seem to be exempt from society's rules?

What happens on Bear Island stays on Bear Island. Seriously I doubt the Mormonts give a a damn what others think of them and they're just curiosities to folks south of the neck. They're hard because of harsh conditions and foes from the Iron Islands and the Frozen Shore.

Archived