Small questions v.10010

Angalin

It is said that the Wall is made of ice and stone. I always understood that in its core it was a "normal" wall of stone, with ice... stuck to it. But I don't believe that the different layers of the Wall, the layers of ice and layer of stone, were mentioned when describing the tunnels within. So have I missed something or is the Wall actually mostly a giant chunk of ice?

It is said that the Wall is made of ice and stone. I always understood that in its core it was a "normal" wall of stone, with ice... stuck to it. But I don't believe that the different layers of the Wall, the layers of ice and layer of stone, were mentioned when describing the tunnels within. So have I missed something or is the Wall actually mostly a giant chunk of ice?

I think it's mostly that there are huge boulders between the ice chunks in the wall than it having a stone core or something.

I think they added a layer of stone from time to time, to reinforce/stabilize it (one hot summer could destroy the wall and/or destroy NW castles with falling shards and/or flood them).

Why did Benjen Stark join the Night's watch?

We don't know why he joined the Watch. But the fact that he took the black shortly after the Rebellion means there's something more than just tradition IMO. Here's one of the threads discussing it.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/68333-why-did-benjen-take-the-black/page__hl__%20benjen%20%20joined%20%20watch

Why did Benjen Stark join the Night's watch?

The reason is never stated explicitly in the text. But there are a couple of factors that sure played into it. The Starks have a special relationship with the Night's Watch, perhaps more than we already know of. And Benjen was second in line after Robb to inherit WF. But there have been several threads discussing BJ's possible personal reasons. I think it may have something to do with Rhaegar & Lyanna.

We don't know why he joined the Watch. But the fact that he took the black shortly after the Rebellion means there's something more than just tradition IMO. Here's one of the threads discussing it.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/68333-why-did-benjen-take-the-black/page__hl__%20benjen%20%20joined%20%20watch

Maybe he just waited for a Stark to come to Winterfell. You know what they say: there must be always a stark in Winterfell.

Maybe he just waited for a Stark to come to Winterfell. You know what they say: there must be always a stark in Winterfell.

It's a possibility of course, after the rebellion he was free to go, maybe he wanted to take the black. I just feel there's something more given the circumstances, but I could be wrong.

Has it been explained how it became public knowledge that Rhaegar abducted Lyanna?

Or who told Brandon Stark while he was on the way to Riverrun?

I wonder about this too. Like at the Tourney of Harrenhall, did Lynna and Rhagear just like run off in the night. Like everyone woke up and was like "shit, they're gone huh." (Rhagear "abdduceted" Lynna at the tourney right??") The whole thing is really confusing. Just like when did they run off, what did everyone else think when they realized they were gone, etc.

It's not clear, and the Rebellion started about a year after the tourney at Harrenhal, so she wasn't abducted at the Tourney but sometime after.

I think its a combination of Jaime is his brother, and still cares for him even though no one else in the family does, and the "one kindness" he never did for his brother (The lying obout Tysha) driving him to guilt.

Tryion's blacklash seems unforgiveable. Also he goes to kills their father....

Tryion's blacklash seems unforgiveable. Also he goes to kills their father....

I don't think that Jaime ever thought he was guilty - he was trying to convince himself during the meeting of the Kingsguard. I think that even after Tyrion says he did that he was lying. And he had no way of knowing that he was going to kill Tywin. And Tyrion just found out he was really married to a girl he loved and who loved him and Jaime didn't hire a whore for him. After the trauma of what happened with Tysha, I think his anger is appropriate.

Archived