Small questions v.10010

Angalin

Not to get off topic but there's no corresponding eye opening for Arya right? She's the only Stark kid who develops it totally on her own?

Edit: that we know of, who knows what's going on with Rickon.

Rickon and Davos are going to die of the flux.

To be honest I think with Rickon being so young as he is, I don't think we will see much of him at all or his experiences. We will only see it from other POV. Maybe in the last book as time passes in the story itself he may just be of age where Martin starts putting something together of what he is. I mean at this point it is kind of pointless of what he can or cannot do as it really doesn't matter. Just knowing that he is alive is enough.

Many of the Reach houses married with Gardener girls/boys, yes. But I think Florents were the ones that married with Mern's daughter or close cousin. Thats why Florents are so angry about not being the High Lord of the Reach.

And te Tyrells.... I don't think they are close to Gardeners. Aegon give Highgarden to them just because Harlen surrendered.

Yes, the Tyrells were related to House Gardner through the female line, though clearly beneath them. They were hereditary stewards- remember Cersei dismisses them as "upjumped stewards" They were given dominion over the Reach when the last Gardner king perished on the Field of Fire and his steward (a Tyrell) bent the knee to Aegon.

I asked a question a while ago about where Renly was during Robert's Rebellion. The answer was Storm's End but that does not make any sense.

A.) He is in the thick of a siege in harm's way and never mentioned by Stannis as having been there.

B.) If he was there, he and Stannis would have a much closer relationship because Stannis would have saved his life.

So were was he really? Greenstone?

I asked a question a while ago about where Renly was during Robert's Rebellion. The answer was Storm's End but that does not make any sense.

A.) He is in the thick of a siege in harm's way and never mentioned by Stannis as having been there.

B.) If he was there, he and Stannis would have a much closer relationship because Stannis would have saved his life.

So were was he really? Greenstone?

He was at Storm's End

“Yields?” Lord Rowan laughed . “When Mace Tyrell laid siege to Storm’s End, Stannis ate rats rather than open his gates.”

“Well I remember.” Renly lifted his chin to allow Brienne to fasten his gorget in place. “Near the end, Ser Gawen Wylde and three of his knights tried to steal out a postern gate to surrender. Stannis caught them and ordered them flung from the walls with catapults. I can still see Gawen’s face as they strapped him down. He had been our master-at-arms.”

How much time passes from the foundation of the BWB to when Arya & co meet them in ASOS? It's just that they seem to have gotten themselves pretty well-established in a fairly short amount of time.

Something less than year since Beric's first death. The brotherhood had probably existed in one form or another before that and we don't know how much time it took before he joined them/took control.

How are people who own land but have no title addressed (i.e. heir of landed knight who has not been knighted for whatever reason)?

The presumption would probably be that the heir eventually become knighted. Sandor, as Gregor's presumed heir, was knighted, for example.

How are people who own land but have no title addressed (i.e. heir of landed knight who has not been knighted for whatever reason)?

"Hey, you!"

Seriously though, if you want to be polite, you will give them honorifics that are not strictly their due and nevertheless call them "Ser" (see how the Hound is addressed) or even "m'lord" if your position is far enough below them. Otherwise, I believe Goodman and Goodwife might be appropriate, though that also applies to persons who don't own land.

Wouldn't ownership of land automatically make you a Lord.

Not exactly, a lordship means something extra, e.g. juristiction on that land.

The Cleganes are an example for landed knights who are not lords.

Archived