Small questions v.10010

Angalin

If the Greyjoys truly do not sow, how do they make clothing?

They buy it?Steal it.....

They do fish in the seas,So they have trade buying seems the appropriate thing here.

The Iron Islands must have a few fertile islands,So some Iron Born do sow if not the Greyjoys,So there's potential for buying from them too.

Or Maybe they just wear Wool and Leather.

If the Greyjoys truly do not sow, how do they make clothing?

The ironborn sow something of course. Theon asked about the islands, when he go there in ACOK. Aeron (or somebody else) replied as some of them farming desperatly. You know, the islands are infertile.

But, most of the islanders wear wool and leather.

He did it because he was promised that his daughters would not be harmed and he would be allowed to take the black. Neither of these promise were fulfilled, of course.

Actually, that's not fully true. Though Sansa was abused by Joffrey she never came to harm..... Or at least not physically, and even if she was harmed it was only small. As for Arya they couldn't have harmed her, as you know she escaped!

Is the stigma of being a bastard overstated?

Despite the fact that even smallfolk will use 'Bastard' as an insult, most of the acknowledged bastards we see have far better lives and opportunities than most smallfolk.

Ned's treatment of Jon Snow as if he were his trueborn son is initially presented as unusual, but it seems less so as we go on; Doran Martell seems to treat the Sand Snakes as if they were Oberyn's legitimate daughters, and from what we know about the Freys, Walder Rivers does not appear to be treated differently to his trueborn half-brothers.

Actually, that's not fully true. Though Sansa was abused by Joffrey she never came to harm..... Or at least not physically, and even if she was harmed it was only small. As for Arya they couldn't have harmed her, as you know she escaped!

It was only small? She was repeatedly beaten by grown men with no scruples doing so, only Sandor refused and Arys tried not to beat her that hard. Yes she came to harm, both physically and mentally.

Despite the fact that even smallfolk will use 'Bastard' as an insult, most of the acknowledged bastards we see have far better lives and opportunities than most smallfolk.

Ned's treatment of Jon Snow as if he were his trueborn son is initially presented as unusual, but it seems less so as we go on; Doran Martell seems to treat the Sand Snakes as if they were Oberyn's legitimate daughters, and from what we know about the Freys, Walder Rivers does not appear to be treated differently to his trueborn half-brothers.

Yes, I do think it is overstated. I think that the fact that Cersei, who is IMO one of the most (if not the most) hypocritical and superficial character, has named Aurane Waters into the small council.

I think it depends. The reason most acknowledged bastards we see have better lives that most smallfolk is because they are high-born bastards. As for the Sand Snakes Dorne tends to be more socially progressive in things like this. Sure there are other examples like Walder Rivers where they are taken in as part of the family, but I think they'll always have to deal with some degree of prejudice from certain people. Jon thinks about it in the third book:

They still think me a turncloak. That was a bitter draft to drink, but Jon could not blame them. He was a bastard, after all. Everyone knew that bastards were wanton and treacherous by nature, having been born of lust and deceit.

Yes, I do think it is overstated. I think that the fact that Cersei, who is IMO one of the most (if not the most) hypocritical and superficial character, has named Aurane Waters into the small council.

Wasn't she also swayed by his resemblance to Rhaegar? I seem to recall Pycelle or someone on the Small Council objecting to his appointment just because he was a bastard.

In one of the reek chapters Ramsay went on a hunt but what was it for again? Was it for the stark boys?

In one of Theon's chapters Theon took "reek ramsey" hunting for the Bran and Co. The only hunts in Reek's chapter was when Ramsey and his boys, were hunting a girl who was trying to escape him.

Archived