Small questions v.10010

Angalin

So the Targaryen heir is the Prince(ss) of Dragonstone and gets the island, my question is do they get evicted if they are no longer the heir?

I would expect it would depend on the grant of the estate. It's probably an appointment for life but not in perpetuity. For example, Robert granted Stannis DS which reinforced that he was the heir. After Joff was born Stannis would have held DS for the rest of his life. If he had died before Robert, Robert could have given it to Joff. If Stannis had survived Robert Joff would havecome kingand the could have granted it to Tommen or his own son after Stannis died.

Arya and Sansa were being taught by the Septa and I think had little interest in the old gods.

To add, in one of the earlier Sansa chapters in ACOK (Sansa II, I believe), it's described how much Sansa prefers the new gods to the old because of the prettiness of the accoutrements, the incense, and all the rituals of the Seven. I think this was when she was on her way to the Godswood to meet what ended up being Dontos Hollard. So, she's definitely in the new gods camp.

Euron has his own red priest too, right? Could it be that the dusky woman is transformed? I mean like Melisande transformed Mance into the Lord of Bones?

I don't think Euron has any red priest with him. He captured some warlocks from Qarth but, as far as we know, their powers do not include glamour.

Which religion do the Stark kids follow? For some reason, I thought Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon follow the new gods, while only Jon follows the old gods, but now I am doubting that was ever true.

I don't think Ned and Cat pushed religion all that much. None of their kids seem particularly devout, but they do have at least a respect for them. And considering what Bran is becoming, he at least knows the true Old Gods.

Quick question/s here.

Why did Robert keep Jamie on as Kingsguard? I would think that having killed a previous King, regardless of the situation, would kind of be grounds for dismissal. Would I be right in saying it was because of Roberts marriage to Cersei+not wanting to piss of Tywin?

Also, why was Jamie allowed to go help Tywin and take control of part of his army to attack the Riverrun?

Quick question/s here.

Why did Robert keep Jamie on as Kingsguard? I would think that having killed a previous King, regardless of the situation, would kind of be grounds for dismissal. Would I be right in saying it was because of Roberts marriage to Cersei+not wanting to piss of Tywin?

Also, why was Jamie allowed to go help Tywin and take control of part of his army to attack the Riverrun?

Yeah Robert likely kept him on cuz he didn't want to piss off the lannisters. It's also worth noting that before Joffery, the kingsgaurds were never really dismissed. They were supposed to serve for life; it would be against precedence for him to dismiss one. Plus, the king Jamie killed was the kin Robert was fighting anyway, so I dont think Robert really cared.

Robert never let Jamie go, but he also never tried to stop him. When Jamie left Kings Landing after attacking Ned, Robert was just like "whatever" and went hunting. Then he got killed, so he never had time to stop Jamie.

My ultimate question may not be all that 'little', & I admit to being hugely intimidated by the myriad of 'R+L=J' threads, but even so, I must be searching incorrectly cuz I can't seem to find anyone particularly discussing this (& if a dunderhead such as myself wonders this, I KNOW the geniuses around here MUST have had a go at it!) : How could it be that many folks in Westeros wouldn't have surmised that R & L had a 'thing' going after the Queen of Love & Beauty crowning at Harrenhal? Seems to me that made a significant splash as it was witnessed be the entire crowd & obviously had to have started some tongues wagging pretty much everywhere afterwards? Then, of course, if folks knew (or even thought they knew) about those 2 wacky kids being in love (Selmy, for one, knew it), wouldn't the more astute types have perhaps leapt to the conclusion that little J could have been R & L's? Wouldn't honorable, trustworthy Ned's story about J being his have caused a few folks to wonder how THAT could possibly be? Heck, before I connected a few dots, even I thought Ned had to be putting me on...he is so vigorously portrayed as not the fooling-around type. SO.. guess my real small question is, any known links to such a discussion? Thanks for your input. I stand in complete awe of this forum.

Doesn't Mel say something to the effect of "Shadows are the puppets of light"?

True but it's still just a lack of light, that's what darkness is as well. You can't have one without the other. Maybe the Others fight light with fire babies. :)

My ultimate question may not be all that 'little', & I admit to being hugely intimidated by the myriad of 'R+L=J' threads, but even so, I must be searching incorrectly cuz I can't seem to find anyone particularly discussing this (& if a dunderhead such as myself wonders this, I KNOW the geniuses around here MUST have had a go at it!) : How could it be that many folks in Westeros wouldn't have surmised that R & L had a 'thing' going after the Queen of Love & Beauty crowning at Harrenhal? Seems to me that made a significant splash as it was witnessed be the entire crowd & obviously had to have started some tongues wagging pretty much everywhere afterwards? Then, of course, if folks knew (or even thought they knew) about those 2 wacky kids being in love (Selmy, for one, knew it), wouldn't the more astute types have perhaps leapt to the conclusion that little J could have been R & L's? Wouldn't honorable, trustworthy Ned's story about J being his have caused a few folks to wonder how THAT could possibly be? Heck, before I connected a few dots, even I thought Ned had to be putting me on...he is so vigorously portrayed as not the fooling-around type. SO.. guess my real small question is, any known links to such a discussion? Thanks for your input. I stand in complete awe of this forum.

All the people saw was R chasing L - first causing a great scandal at Harrenhal. They didnt see how she thought of him. Then of course the king spread all the rumors AND Ned acknowledged Jon, in spite of his rep for honor and the endless grief it caused him with Catelyn. Add to that the thought that Jon had been conceived before Ned was even betrothed, so not much of a blot on his honor. So not much reason to think of R + L = J. To think of an answer to a puzzle one must first see the puzzle.

You're really gonna have to trawl the R+L=J threads for a good answer to that. Basically you're talking about a world with no E! & no tabloids so the total amount of people who witnessed the "Harrenhal incident" (& understood what was happening) is probs only a couple of hundred, a couple hundred who would know better than to talk smack about the Crown Prince. Time passes. There's a massive civil war & the Targs are deposed. People forget 'cause they're both dead & it doesn't really matter anymore.

I still can't figure out how you fight darkness with shadows, wouldn't that be like fighting fire with gasoline?

that is what is done in reality in special cases !

Got a question...

How did Varamyrs eagle got burned when Stannis attacked the free folk? Melisandre magic? Have we seen this kind of magic in other places? Or was it because of something else?

yes, it was melisandre.

"kind of magic" means exactly what ? ;)

How could it be that many folks in Westeros wouldn't have surmised that R & L had a 'thing' going after the Queen of Love & Beauty crowning at Harrenhal? Seems to me that made a significant splash as it was witnessed be the entire crowd & obviously had to have started some tongues wagging pretty much everywhere afterwards?

Many folks did surmise Rhaegar's and Lyanna's relationship, fine example being Kevan thinking If Rhagear was wed to Cersei, he would never have looked on that Northern girl. As for how did folks not speculate about R+L being Jon's true parents - that a good question. I guess it was mostly because of Ned openly admitting Jon was his and shutting down all rumours about possible mothers (as Cat notes when she asked Ned if the mother was Ashara). If you want a link to discussion on that subject, you would have to dig through tons of R+L threads (sorry, there's no easier way I can think of).

Got a question...

How did Varamyrs eagle got burned when Stannis attacked the free folk? Melisandre magic? Have we seen this kind of magic in other places? Or was it because of something else?

I've always assumed it was some sort of Mel's fire magic.

Archived