Small questions v.10010

Angalin

I've always assumed it was some sort of Mel's fire magic.

Kind of makes you wonder though, if she can burn something alive from a distance, why has she not done it elsewhere? Seems it would be a highly valuable skill in a pre-gunpowder society.

Kind of makes you wonder though, if she can burn something alive from a distance, why has she not done it elsewhere? Seems it would be a highly valuable skill in a pre-gunpowder society.

Her magic seems to take a huge toll on her, and others involved. Maybe it was worth the price to take one of the most dangerous enemies out of the battle, but she wouldn't want to be doing it all the time.

Indeed, it does make me wonder - for it be incredibly useful on the battlefield and elsewhere. Mel's fires could have similar (on a much smaller scale, though) effect on enemy's soldiers as dragons did on the Field of Fire, where 50 000 men routed avoiding betting burned.

I've considered the thought that Mel might be lying about her setting Varamyr's eagle - but decided against it, for what else could cause eagle to burn?

Indeed, it does make me wonder - for it be incredibly useful on the battlefield and elsewhere. Mel's fires could have similar (on a much smaller scale, though) effect on enemy's soldiers as dragons did on the Field of Fire, where 50 000 men routed avoiding betting burned.

I've considered the thought that Mel might be lying about her setting Varamyr's eagle - but decided against it, for what else could cause eagle to burn?

Flaming arrow.

Flaming arrow.

Didn't Varamyr comment how he started to burn from within and it couldn't be an arrow?

Edit: quote from ADWD prologue

His last death had been by fire. I burned. At first, in his confusion, he thought some archer on

the Wall had pierced him with a flaming arrow … but the fire had been inside him, consuming him. And

the pain …

My ultimate question may not be all that 'little', & I admit to being hugely intimidated by the myriad of 'R+L=J' threads, but even so, I must be searching incorrectly cuz I can't seem to find anyone particularly discussing this (& if a dunderhead such as myself wonders this, I KNOW the geniuses around here MUST have had a go at it!) : How could it be that many folks in Westeros wouldn't have surmised that R & L had a 'thing' going after the Queen of Love & Beauty crowning at Harrenhal? Seems to me that made a significant splash as it was witnessed be the entire crowd & obviously had to have started some tongues wagging pretty much everywhere afterwards? Then, of course, if folks knew (or even thought they knew) about those 2 wacky kids being in love (Selmy, for one, knew it), wouldn't the more astute types have perhaps leapt to the conclusion that little J could have been R & L's? Wouldn't honorable, trustworthy Ned's story about J being his have caused a few folks to wonder how THAT could possibly be? Heck, before I connected a few dots, even I thought Ned had to be putting me on...he is so vigorously portrayed as not the fooling-around type. SO.. guess my real small question is, any known links to such a discussion? Thanks for your input. I stand in complete awe of this forum.

You have some good answers above, but if you'd like more on the subject try posting this question in the current, stickied RLJ thread. I'm sure some of the nice people over there would love to weigh in on this. They're generally very helpful with noobs ;)

Didn't Varamyr comment how he started to burn from within and it couldn't be an arrow?

Edit: quote from ADWD prologue

But Varamyr said that he was burned from inside. Maybe she aflamed his blood ? As we know, Beric was capable of waking fire from his blood, Thoros teach him, right ?

The conversation has gone such that posters have considered that Mel burned the eagle from a distance, with her eyes or something, and that no logical weapon was used to connet the fire with the eagle. I don't dispute that Mel may have used her own blood to set the arrow aflame. My point is that the fire -whether it was real fire or Beric esque fire- was likely delivered by a flaming arrow.

The conversation has gone such that posters have considered that Mel burned the eagle from a distance, with her eyes or something, and that no logical weapon was used to connet the fire with the eagle. I don't dispute that Mel may have used her own blood to set the arrow aflame. My point is that the fire -whether it was real fire or Beric esque fire- was likely delivered by a flaming arrow.

I don't think it was an arrow or else it wouldn't have kept flying, the arrow would have knocked it out of the sky but it tries to fly away from the fire.

The sound was shocking, ear-piercing, thick with agony. Varamyr fell, writhing, and the ‘cat was screaming too... and high, high in the eastern sky, against the wall of cloud, Jon saw the eagle burning. For a heartbeat it flamed brighter than a star, wreathed in red and gold and orange, its wings beating wildly at the air as if it could fly from the pain. Higher it flew, and higher, and higher still.
But this is way out of SQ territory.

mel seen in the flames stannis riding south to his doom in relation to the upcoming battle for winterfell is he doomed?

We can't really know. It's a prophecy of sorts, but GRRM has said himself that there is more to the prophecies in ASoIaF than meets the eye.

hi there,

i didnt find a threat dealing with anagrams.

only anagrams so far i know are for gregor clegane and sarella

are there more known?

thx

People joke around about Septa Lemore's anagrams, but I haven't found anything that was usually taken seriously except Sarella=Alleras (which is a lot more than just an anagram of course).

By the way, what's the Gregor Clegane anagram? I mean, I can see that his name is an anagram of Clearer Eggnog, and while that might perhaps be a valuable contribution to society, I don't see the relevance to aSoIaF here so I suppose you mean something else.

People joke around about Septa Lemore's anagrams, but I haven't found anything that was usually taken seriously except Sarella=Alleras (which is a lot more than just an anagram of course).

By the way, what's the Gregor Clegane anagram? I mean, I can see that his name is an anagram of Clearer Eggnog, and while that might perhaps be a valuable contribution to society, I don't see the relevance to aSoIaF here so I suppose you mean something else.

thanks for replying

clearer eggnog is funny, even, if i didnt know of eggnog before penny and lenard drank it in an episode of tbbt

the anagram of gregor was gorger, if remembering correctly, while searching for anagrams in threads on this site.

the reason i asked is, while thinking about the situation of jaime, brienne etc. and lady stoneheart, it came to me, that lady stoneheart is an anagram of deathly treason.

i know it is not revealing a completely new idea of martins plots, i was curious, whether there are more

;)

[...] it came to me, that lady stoneheart is an anagram of deathly treason.

Wow, that is quite an observation. :bowdown:

About Septa Lemore: I have only seen anagrams that have been used as jokes, as in "Oh, Septa Lemore is an anagram for 'a temple rose', that must mean she is obviously Lyanna (rose) who became a septa (temple)" and "Oh, Septa Lemore is an anagram for 'eloper's mate', so it's obviously Rhaegar's bride" stuff like that. That's why I haven't paid close attention to them, but if you google search you'll probably find something.

By the way, I have missed one serious anagram that occurs in the books:

Abel = Bael

Both are kings beyond the wall who come to Winterfell in disguise to steal the young maiden. Too many similarities for it to be a coincidence, even if it's only 4 letters.

Archived