Reading Joe Abercrombie's The First Law for the first time. (Spoilers for Books 1-3)

Ded As Ned

I was thinking of an 'A' early on in the writing. We dropped it long before it was published, which I think was the right call. Feels more urgent, more emphatic without. It's never been published anywhere with the 'A' on the title.

Corrected by the Lord of Grim himself. I recalled seeing a cover that had the title art with "A Red Country" written across in nice bloody red letters, and after seeing so many people refer to it as ARC after it came out I had just figured that we inferior colonists were shafted with the capitalist's choice of words, author's blessing be damned. Glad to know that's not the case, sorry if I worded my original post incorrectly. I know Joe Abercrombie will Bloody-Nine an agent if he has to. Just started "Some Desperado," by the way. Loving it.

There's a lot of humour though, so it gets away with the grimness. And once you get out of the trilogy there's always a good end for some of the characters.

Is it 2017 the next trilogy is planned for?

When you come down to it, Abercrombie really hasn't killed off any of his protagonists. He has avoided that GRRM trope.

If fact, you can almost say that most, if not all of his protagonists have relatively happy endings...or at least better than when the started.

When you come down to it, Abercrombie really hasn't killed off any of his protagonists. He has avoided that GRRM trope.

If fact, you can almost say that most, if not all of his protagonists have relatively happy endings...or at least better than when the started.

Was Marshal West not a protagonist to you?

Was Marshal West not a protagonist to you?

Things certainly weren't better for Logen either. All his friends were either dead or hated him.

And Luthar may have had more money and "power" but I think it's a pretty easy assumption that he was certainly happier at the beginning of the series than at the end.

I'm on team Khalul, for whatever that's worth, when it comes down it.

I haven't read through the original trilogy in some time, but I remember all the evidence pointing towards Bayaz being the true betrayer of Juvens, and Khalul seemingly having to flee to Gurkhal in order to gather strength so he can eventually defeat him.

I hope Bayaz fails magnificently, only after being exposed as the true traitor of the Magi, a liar, and a hypocrite.

The only real Gurkhish POV we've had so far is Ferro, and while I still root for her, and hope she succeeds in getting revenge on the men who enslaved and imprisoned her, I don't think she'll get as far as killing Khalul himself. She can kill the Emperor, that'd be cool.

Since we haven't had any Gurkhish POV's, other than Ferro, I'm still undecided as to who is less evil. And I really hope the new trilogy has Gurkhish POV's, some part of the Emperor's household, a caliph or an empress. Someone who's not an Eater.

I've mentioned this once before, but I think it would be really interesting to see the guy who originally tortured Glokta, and where he is now. Especially if they were to meet again.

Bayaz certainly provoked the war, but Khalul has stooped as low as Bayaz to fight him. The hordes of slaves used to feed his Eaters. The point is there is no true difference between them.

Indeed, I couldn't imagine it being good for the world if one defeated the other and established complete superiority.

Archived