Who would you like to hold your castle against a Seige

Lord Stunny

Well I was just thinking about Seige of castles and men who can hold the castle best against a Seige... I think Stannis is Boss from what we have read, but Blackfish also seemed capable and so was Courtnay Penrose. Who do you think can best hold out against a seige?

I will name my first five

Stannis

Brynden blackfish Tully

Roose Bolton

Courtnay Penrose

Randyll Tarly

Threadstarter had just started a thread worshipping Stannis' greatness.

I would however like to know of the Bolton who held the Dreadfort for 4 years against Seige from winterfell... Man must be a rough neck

Well given its location I'm sure the Dreadfort has enormous food storage areas.

Drawing solely from evidence in the text the 2nd answer to this would be Brynden Tully. And perhaps Davos Seaworth after learning from the King about holding out a siege and his food smuggles will certainly come in handy.

:agree:

Perhaps the thread should have been "who besides Stannis would be the best at holding a castle during a siege?"

Sidenote; I wonder if we're ever going to see a city fall in a siege like Rome did in the next couple of books? Kings Landing is vulnerable to being cut off without food as we saw in ACOK.

Given the limited siege history we have Stannis is obviously the top pick... however I would point out that the castle he held is Storm's End which is one of the strongest castles in Westeros, and from what we've heard Mace didn't really even try to take it. He was just starving them out.

If you assume an average strength castle. one much less impervious than Storm's End, and a motivated enemy who is constantly attacking, picking someone who is more of a fighter than merely an iron-willed commander becomes a little more tolerable.

Besides I don't think I'd like to be cooped up with Stannis for a year. If I'm going to die next to someone I'll take Barristan.

coming from someone who is not really a stannis fan, i would take stannis all day...he wouldnt bend, he'd be disciplined and probably better at rationing things/keeping people under control...best bet would be to team him up with someone more creative like blackfish or tyrion

second I would take Tywin...just because of his war resume...tywin does not lose

Stannis must have been pretty impressive to people at age 17 to keep everyone in line for that amount of time with devolving into chaos. There is no doubt he has the personal discipline, but keep discipline of a population under siege when you are 17? Badass. Although the master at arms is probably responsible for a lot of that as well....

Blackfish is a great #2 pick, we've seen him in action, scouring the countryside for useful food, and again, keeping complete discipline even with someone threatening his nephew on a daily basis. After the RW, he is not one to take any half-measures - he will be playing for keeps from here on out.

Bolton probably had people in the Dreadfort eating other people to keep the siege up that long. Not sure if that would factor, but I wouldn't want that guy in charge of keeping the people fed.

The key is the forsight to not only keep the defenses up with minimal effort, but to consume the absolute bare minimum of food and fresh water starting as early into the siege as possible. It comes down to discipline, but also accurate calculation and planning. Jon seemed to be doing a pretty poor job with the rationing at the Wall - I think it would be hard for anyone young to properly assess the length that stores can keep people fed in a siege situation - all the more props to Stannis the mannis.

Interesting question, I guess it depends on the type of siege warfare.

Stannis Baratheon has led the longest siege that we know of within the novels. He and the men that held storms end with him lasted a year.

Any answer that isn't stannis, for this question at least, is wrong.

My initial thought as well, but remember that Mace Tyrell and Paxter Redwyne never actually gave battle to Storm's End, they surrounded it and attempted to starve the garrison out (still a formidable war strategy none the less). Stannis strikes me as a commander, not a warrior, so I wonder how he would fare in a situation where the surrounding army stormed the walls.

Nonetheless, I still think Stannis would be my go-to guy, but I think a warrior-type like Jaime would be better suited in the situation where the walls are stormed.

Archived