Rethinking Romance: Love Stories of ASOIAF

Lala

I was going to ask about this. Glad to see other romances will be looked at as well. I'd particularly like to explore Ned and Catelyn at some point.

Again, I'm glad the three of you started this!

I would also love to explore Ned and Catelyn. And I'm glad this project has generated so much interest!

How about the forbidden love of Jaime and Cersei? Any chance? :P

But of course!

I would also love to explore Ned and Catelyn. And I'm glad this project has generated so much interest!

But of course!

I'm not surprised. :) So much focus on the Game and theories, it can be easy to lose focus on the rest of the story. Martin has repeatedly said he writes about the human heart in conflict, and he expresses this so whole in the relationships he creates within the story.

How about the forbidden love of Jaime and Cersei? Any chance? :P

They were definitely on the initial (very looooong) list we drew up :P

One of the relationships I personally really am looking forward to looking at in future threads is Arys/Arianne - there are so many precedents of the hero and the seductive princess in greek mythology xD

They were definitely on the initial (very looooong) list we drew up :P

One of the relationships I personally really am looking forward to looking at in future threads is Arys/Arianne - there are so many precedents of the hero and the seductive princess in greek mythology xD

Yeah haha alot :agree:

My favourite unrequited love story is Rhaella Targaryen and Ser Bonifer Hasty. There is just something melancholy about Ser Bonifer, a lowborn knight who got to once name Rhaella the Queen of Love and Beauty at a tournament, only to see her married to her awful brother. Ser Bonifer then ended up seeking solace in the Faith while saying only the Maiden could replace Rhaella in his heart.

Yes please! I so want them together.

Thirded, or fourthed.

Also, Cat/Ned.

I am so excited for this thread!

Practical question: Will you guys start different threads for the different love stories, or we'll have everything here?

Anyways, this is going to be really interesting, I'm looking forward to. Thanks for bringing this project together! :cheers:

My favourite unrequited love story is Rhaella Targaryen and Ser Bonifer Hasty. There is just something melancholy about Ser Bonifer, a lowborn knight who got to once name Rhaella the Queen of Love and Beauty at a tournament, only to see her married to her awful brother. Ser Bonifer then ended up seeking solace in the Faith while saying only the Maiden could replace Rhaella in his heart.

This... I don't know why, maybe it's something in my gut, some feeling that Rhaella was so much more than just a tragic figure. I could be wrong of course, but she taunts back of my mind so often. And yes, it's one of those love stories that truly touches you...

Practical question: Will you guys start different threads for the different love stories, or we'll have everything here?

Anyways, this is going to be really interesting, I'm looking forward to. Thanks for bringing this project together! :cheers:

We're going to keep everything to this thread - staggering at least a week between each story so there is plenty of time for discussion. Unlike rereads, we are also fully encouraging everyone to bring up the stories we haven't covered yet as a source of comparison for the one at hand =D So even if we haven't gotten to a particular story, or if we've already moved on from it, we can certainly keep discussing it - simply snowball the conversation to include the one that we are currently looking at.

Cat/Ned is certainly another couple we had on our list =D We're really hoping to be able to do a few more incarnations so we can cover all of the stories :blushing:

We're going to keep everything to this thread - staggering at least a week between each story so there is plenty of time for discussion. Unlike rereads, we are also fully encouraging everyone to bring up the stories we haven't covered yet as a source of comparison for the one at hand =D So even if we haven't gotten to a particular story, or if we've already moved on from it, we can certainly keep discussing it - simply snowball the conversation to include the one that we are currently looking at.

Cat/Ned is certainly another couple we had on our list =D We're really hoping to be able to do a few more incarnations so we can cover all of the stories :blushing:

Ah, okay thanks :)

Cat and Ned would be nice indeed, though my main interests were chosen for discussion, so I'm not complaining :DD And I really like Joanna and Tywin, though that would be a rather short discussion, given how much information we have on them :)))

Ned and Catelyn are the best and most realistic couple. Romance hasn't been my favorite part of the series so far but I'm sure I'll be worn down! Are Tywin and Joanna on the list? There might not be enough information about them, but Joanna's death effected Tywin so much and that had a huge ripple effect on future events so it might be an interesting discussion.

Ah, okay thanks :)

Cat and Ned would be nice indeed, though my main interests were chosen for discussion, so I'm not complaining :DD And I really like Joanna and Tywin, though that would be a rather short discussion, given how much information we have on them :)))

Ninja'd!

This is a really great idea! There are so many different forms of love represented in these stories and as many people have already pointed out, lots of them have precedents in mythology. Thank you for taking the time to start this project, I'm really looking forward to reading your threads!

Actually, I would love this. I think this is the "romance" I'm missed interested in. (I use "romance" because it wasn't reciprocal.)

The scene in the Great Sept suggests that each had very strong feelings for the other.

Actually, I would love this. I think this is the "romance" I'm missed interested in. (I use "romance" because it wasn't reciprocal.)

The scene in the Great Sept suggests that each had very strong feelings for the other.

Indeed. Romance doesn't necessarily mean that the feelings are without problems, or not dysfunctional. In fact a lot of romance historically have been far more "Sturm und Drang" than the sugary sweet stuff we often see today. Still, there is a

and lovely which you might have heard, possibly. And it is quite modern, too.

... Martin has repeatedly said he writes about the human heart in conflict, and he expresses this so whole in the relationships he creates within the story.

Yes for sure, I'm tempted to say that love is perhaps the most important theme: it is about the individual versus society (personal wants and needs versus social/family expectations) , it is a key driver of the politics (Lyanna and Rhaegar, Lysa and Littlefinger, Robb and Jeyne) and a key driver of the family dynamics (The Ned and Catelyn, Johanna and Tywin) or indeed both (Aegon the Unworthy and numerous others). In short - no love, no ASOIAF.

I also like how love as a destructive force both sharpens our sense of our precarious this society is - ie a bit of lovin' can bring the whole thing down and harkens back to the Arthurian tradition: Lancelot and Guinevere, Tristan and Isolde, Arthur and Morgana.

Indeed. Romance doesn't necessarily mean that the feelings are without problems, or not dysfunctional. In fact a lot of romance historically have been far more "Sturm und Drang" than the sugary sweet stuff we often see today...

Certainly. I remember having been in love. It's definitely bad for you, I lost a lot of weight through love sickness I remember that :( . Youngsters - don't do it. If you marry let it be for land or gold or swords, but stay clear of love, 'tis the bane of honour and the scourge of duty.

Modern love can afford to be sugary sweet stuff because it is not that dangerous. We have more stable institutions (leastwise in the northern hemisphere so called western part), we are not (beyond the Mediterranean) dependent on the family. In short it is affordable, allowable and indulgable. Not so in the world of Ice and Fire.

Archived