Rethinking Romance: Love Stories of ASOIAF

Lala

Gendry saving Brienne, both protecting the orphans, bringing those two characters together was perfection. And she kept thinking he was Renly.

You're totally right. And I think that is why it is not going to drop.

She is always thinking of Renly throughout the series, and then she gets the wind blown out of her when she sees the spitting image of him. What do you know, the nephew. LOL!

This Gendry parentage thing is a running bit. The whole Edric/Arya/Gendry scene regarding the theme of who am I? and birth/rank, etc.

Either she does get to drop the bomb and tells hims or it is just a clue that somebody is going to tell this kid, because he looks like both Robert and Renly, reinforcing the Bartheon connection.

And Brienne getting attacked before she is about to burst forth with it, is such a cliffhanger. Anticlimactic if it does indeed go nowhere.

Hope the two future brother-in-laws get along. (wink) ;)

Just don't tell Gendry that the Hound knocked his she-wolf out with the flat of an axe - all will be well. :P

Considering that Gendry knows how obstinate Arya is, if he found out the Hound hit her with his axe, I think the response would be something along the lines of, "Wait. What? You hit her with an axe to prevent her from running to her death? Yeah, that sounds about right." :P

And the good thing is that he knows what the Hound looks like from being with Arya and the whole BWB situation. I always think of how hard Brienne's job is looking for people and trying to spot them without ever having seen them. And he totally sassed the Hound for a short dialogue in a Sword of Storms too. Never liked him before he took Arya, sure as hell doesn't like him after either.

Brienne is traveling with Pod, who spent considerable time at King's Landing. He knows what the Hound looks like, as well as Sansa.

Part 2: The Day the Bull was “Not-a-Lord-Zoned”

(Going to take some liberties in italics and with what I imagined were character gestures and internal dialogue/thoughts for humorous purposes. Of course the funny will be brought.)

Not-a-Lord-Zoned, came out of nowhere on a thread about possible Stark/Baratheon marriages last night, when I posted a comment about Gendry/Arya. And I decided to use it fittingly as the title of this essay. It pretty much describes how I think Gendry was feeling. Anyway…

So if there was ever someone more different and more liable to get a rise out of Gendry via the Arya conduit, it was Edric Dayne.

There are startling differences in how both guys were raised; contrasts due to birth, background, class, education, and connections. Looks, personality, temperament and other differences are crystal clear as well.

Ah, those Daynes…

Are they all extremely good-looking? Like all the delicate-looking and fair-featured Malfoys from Harry Potter, but they are nicer and er, don’t support the Dark Lord? We hear Ashara was quite the dish from some accounts, and Dorkstar makes even the seasoned Arianne get a little hot and bothered. Arthur was the stuff of legends. No word on his looks, but from Dayne genetics I bet he was awfully cute.

Besides Dorkstar, they usually get a positive response and reception from readers. Even poor Allyria Dayne, and the pity we feel about her very, very, very, very long engagement to a brave, good-looking, principled Berid Dondarrion, who couldn’t make the wedding after having died several times. After, really, being magically revived by the Lord of Light, unwhole, both physically and mentally, and well, now is very, very dead, er, this time. Yeah, I feel for her. We don’t know if she is even up to another marriage after the waiting and waiting, if she finally knows he is gone, or if some regard her as past the age of a new match. Jeyne had a crush from a far, and Allyria might be nursing a true broken heart and not just the memory of the dutiful match could have been.

They are/were/might be (if you adhere to certain theories) a charming bunch. The total package sort of people, one might say.

Apparently, Gendry did not find one Dayne quite so charming.

And what do you do when someone is sick, shivering, struggling with the damp and feverish from the rain, and clammy from the chills, when you are a strong, healthy and robust, young man that is roughing it without complaint? With constant rains and while riding horses immersed in water knee deep, with a long and uncertain road ahead?

You crack a snippy retort. Out of nowhere seemingly….

Wouldn’t do for Arya, my friend first, to have sympathy for him now, would it? You know, the lordling that is two feet shorter than me. His head is as big as my bicep and all.

Apparently, somebody thought Edric was milking it. Or knew the poor kid wasn’t, and wanted to make him look like it in front of his favorite little tomboy. And perhaps didn’t like that Arya felt some sympathy for him. Or was there more to it?

He didn’t seem to like it one bit. But really, is the first time we have seen shades of possession and protectiveness from Gendry regarding Arya? But now this is something different. A little green monster has hatched and it is not a dragon. It is jealousy.

The hell she is going to fall for the simpering, courtly bullshit of some punk lordling. Hell no!

Not on my watch!

I hope he gets a cold. Bad! Or worse than he has now if he even has one.

And he doesn’t like Edric.

UH-DUH!

Arya tells us as if we didn’t know already. She was perceptive but didn’t verbally articulate it. She just knows, or can tell. And she is not the type to bring something up, because she is not a drama queen. And I believe kind enough to not want to call Gendry out on it, nor hurt Edric’s feelings by mentioning it, just to cause drama, like we have all seen certain people do in real life; when nothing is to be gained except hurt, suspicion, discomfort between people, and problems. She might have just given us, the readers, behind the scenes info. Although, all she really had to tell us was that it was a mean comment, but she tells us that Gendry does not like him. So why not: Obviously the boy is not feeling well, where did that comment come from? Lay off, Gendry, before I knock you on your ass again. Or maybe she could have launched a crabapple a bit early or something.

Oh, hell no….I have a feeling this was not the first time. I am sure Gendry somehow with a face, body language, or other retorts we are not privy to, made it clear he doesn’t like him before. Maybe, even just a bit earlier or a little off-screen info, if you will?

Now this was pretty early in the conversation between Arya and Edric that she tells us flat out that Gendry doesn’t like him.

So:

1. Gendry is pissed from off screen stuff regarding this boy and Arya?

2. He just doesn’t want anyone talking to his tomboy. Period?

3. Because of who Edric is he feels threatened. Because many of the things Edric is he is not, or can’t and never will be?

But Martin gives Arya the dialogue so bluntly to us. He wants us to know Gendry doesn’t like him too. He wants to make that clear. He wants us to wonder why?

Message received. The eagle has landed. I got hit with the crabapple.

Or the bull is about to combust.

I believe a ship bone might have been thrown our way.

And I will catch it deftly between my teeth and run with it. Arf!

“When I wear my helm, the rain beats against the steal, and gives me headaches,” he complained. “But when I take it off, my hair gets soaked and sticks to my face and in my mouth.”

I can’t decide if the Bull has a point here. Should you just suck it up as a squire? Could you see Mr. Tarly hearing this and not insisting that Sam drop and give him twenty and no dinner for a week, in the good old days before he joined the Watch? (sarcasm) I don’t see a young Robb complaining to Daddy and Rodrik either. If anything, he bitches to Cat at first and then buckles down and seeks to take the burdens on himself, and act the lord. And I am not picking on Edric because I favor Gendry. I just don’t see boys, well, the good ones in the series, dwelling and bitching much about things like this compared to the overall dangerous and bad situations they sometimes find themselves. People have expectations regarding young men. Or really, that they are raised to Teflon themselves and not to complain as to appear tougher. Or that was the mentality and what they were encouraged to do, but of course, not all do that. No Sweetrobin whining here, but… And hey, Joff, did nearly get his arm ripped off by a pissed off direwolf, but he was a whiner to begin with too.

He may have a bit of a point when we compare him to the other young boys we know that are roughing it.

Hot Pie. Off the table. He complains the worst. He is still my hero though.

Look where bitching about a leg got Lommy. Dead.

Gendry apparently is not partial to blondes. He does not want to be friendly or even friends with Edric.

Actually, a house full of women had no affect on him and did not ring his bell. It didn’t ring any bells. But that essay is for another time.

Or wait, not a bell, but an alarm went off. And he starts acting out within this chapter. Why? Okay, we’ll get there.

The only person he likes, cares for, trusts, and wants to be real friends with or have any type of closeness to is Arya.

“You have a knife. If your hair annoys you so much, shave your bloody head.”

Damn!

And then, Gendry probably ponders, the little shit make himself look polite and all by not answering back. He then remains silent.

Well, two can play at that game. I will not say anything else for awhile either.

Fine.

I’ll just listen in then.

Then Arya goes into a description telling us that she is studying Ned. That she took a pretty good look at him.

The shade of blue of his eyes, the difference between Dornish coloring, his good temperament, the exact shade of blonde.

You learn what you will eventually like, not that you like it yet. This is key with the two of them. Though a bit of an awakening and slightly more self-actualization and thought went into it more with Gendry. Arya will decide later what she likes and what appeals to her. Like muscles and strength, or blonde and gentlemanly, and things like that, that she only takes note of, but is not thinking yet of the possible appeal to her, because she is too young yet. I think these two are a prime example of this. That is for another time. But she is studying and taking notice of people and characteristics.

Seething and teeth grinding ensues, I am sure, on the part of the Bull, who could care less about the vaporings of the Star.

“My father was called Ned too…” Gee. Gosh. Really? Some eye rolling…

I could imagine a rough, large hand pushing black, stubborn hair out of the eyes, a fist is made, and a hand slapped on a knee in an, I-can’t-believe-this-shit move.

I hear knuckles cracking, envision a stormy expression, and more eyes rolling in the background. I picture a bit of Robert when he throws a tantrum slightly, or doesn’t get his way and becomes annoyed.

How can I compete with this? With the same nickname as the father, for Smith’s sake…The nice dude that complimented my work and was polite to me, and I wouldn’t sell him my bull helm that he wanted and…

This I wasn’t clear on: Did Gendry hear Ned make that offer to Mott to keep him as a sword one day if he wished it? You would think, after my first essay, that this is prime laying it on thick with Arya points. I don’t think he used that, but he should have. But I am not sure if it was more of an aside from Ned to Mott, and possibly Gendry didn’t hear, or care at the time. He didn’t want to go off with some stranger who was a lord? He’d rather work at the forge that has been his home? I wasn’t clear on this.

Well, your name is Ned, but I met him. And he liked my helm. And there is nothing you can do to change that. Punk!

Take that.

And then the little blonde has to mention that not only does he have a House, he is the Lord of Starfall.

“Lords and Ladies,” he proclaimed in a disgusted tone.

Crabapple, meet bull head.

He felt the skin above his eye. Not sure if she was aiming for head or face or what exactly. But it did connect. And he tells us it hurt.

And then… “The bad kind.” I am not even going to go into how awesome the crabapple scene was because I mentioned it in my last essay,

“…said Arya,” suddenly contrite.

She gives him sympathy. Ick, what guy wants that? And then she turns to talk to Edric, ignores Gendry, and apologizes to Edric.

And the Bull keeps silent for a time.

And then the end of Arya and Edric’s little chat. Short lived that it was. Ned and Ashara, really Edric’s insistence of it, put Arya over the edge.

Somebody decides to include themself again.

“He must have found that bastard under a cabbage leaf, then.” ROFL!

Gendry, are their Cabbage Patch Kids in Westeros? Didn’t know that. Dude, she doesn’t like dolls. Not her bag. And we don’t know exactly what happened with Jon Snow, but he was not delivered by stork, or found under a leafy green. But he was born in Dorne too, like Edric….maybe.

And he goes off on a tear! She just told him that WE were NOT talking to YOU.

That “we” had to hurt. Worse than a crabapple, I would imagine. She is his tomboy, afterall.

And she brings up ringing Bella’s bells again.

The author tells us “he ignored that.”

Why?

1. He doesn’t think he should discuss such things with a lady by birth?

2. Because it is a young girl?

3. He could kick himself for not taking Bella on the offer? Was he embarassed by new, emerging feelings of sexuality that he has been struggling with? I have seen this hypothesized before and I am not sure. Could be partly why back at the Peach. But I think even if it crossed his mind, it is much more complicated than that.

I thought he didn’t want to do it because, seriously, he didn’t want to give Arya that impression. And he didn’t want a bastard possibly, because of what happened to him. He is struggling with class and birth and how someone who does as he is told with little complaint, works so hard, and it won’t matter in the end.

And I think we were left with the teeniest, tiniest little nugget. That maybe he just doesn’t want to with Bella or anyone. He is telling us he is not that type of guy. He likes “nice girls.” He reacts more to the crabapple throwing, snappy one-liners, which are more stimulating to him than actual physical stimulation at this point in time.

Really, why waste an hour with a whore? This one, and all of her qualities, holds his interest and amuses him in the very best sense. Humor, brains, bravery, etc.

He knows what he wants for down the road when he is ready. Someone is going to have to have the same qualities of this girl, his little tomboy, if he were ever to be interested in someone.

And then it hits him like an invisible crabapple…

Just say this fun, smart, and tough girl, grows into a beautiful woman. We are close for years….

I still can’t have her.

Peasants grow up and play in childhood, live, work, and marry in nearby villages. Not an option here. And it just occurs to him and hits him like a pile of bricks, or, er, crabapples. A lot of them.

It was apparent that a bunch of things were bothering him. That he was jealous but angry and doing a lot of thinking as they other two talked. He seemed angry at everything about his lot in life; his mother, father, his birth, things he has little memory of or none at all, and that hard work won’t amount to anything. There are things he can’t have. Certain doors are shut to him due to birth, which he had no control over and cannot change. And it never mattered nor had he dealt with it, before he cared. Now such things matter to him. A lot.

It never bothered him before. He sort of resigned himself to the baffling fact that Mott let him go and he was going to the Night’s Watch. No women, wife, children, freedom, amongst many things he would be forced to give up. He didn’t seem to be bothered by it. But he’d have food, shelter, clothing, could still smith with such a useful skill, etc. That was good enough for him then. But Arya, being who she is and through his time with her, forces him to realize that he might want more. For him, she was the catalyst for introspection and a growing experience.

So he did see mom bring men home from the alehouse. Maybe why the whole situation with Bella didn’t appeal to him. He wants something different. Better maybe. Or at least to have the option; some choices even.

He does back down and defend Ned Stark and starts his bitchfest about his own “dad.”

Never knowing that both of their fathers were besties.

Ooh, the irony again.

He is upset with his dad, whoever the hell he is, and he demonstrates anger and wants to beat him too.

But he is telling her not to get upset about what Edric told her. Both of our father’s are dead, it doesn’t matter… it doesn’t matter who he lay with. Almost like: You are lady of House Stark; I am nothing. Did it matter in the end? Look where we are. Where we ended up. We are at square one and on equal footing. So what if this fool faking a head cold is Lord of Starfall? Will it make a difference anywhere but on paper for what we are all going through now? War, trying to survive, with danger and people wishing us ill all over the place?

I think that was some sort of apology trying to make her feel better. And his reaching, trying to find common ground with her. Both of our father’s are dead. Both made mistakes…

Damn, he was listening in closely.

The last thing he did was to give her a queer look. Honestly, I don’t get why. Please, if anyone has an interpretation. It was right after they hear about Hoster Tully. Just that it was Arya’s grandfather? That he felt for her because she already heard bombshell info regarding her father, Ashara Dayne, mother, and Jon Snow, and he thought maybe it was too much for her in one sitting? He witnessed her distress and felt for it. He just went through it mere seconds ago?

Then either Harwin or Gendry kept shouting her name, Arya recalls.

Oh, of course it was him. As if he doesn’t do spot checks to check on her since they started the damn journey with Yoren. Come on now. He is constantly keeping an eye on her. Probably both guys were shouting though too, but it is more dramatic for when they meet up again if Gendry was shouting and sees her go. Because we can only imagine what he is thinking and feeling during the aftermath, when it is apparent that she was taken and gone for good.

And then he loses her. Like hell he doesn’t blame himself somehow. But more about his equilibrium, how she keeps him grounded, and other things are for another time.

The last thing he said to her was during the sort of argument between Arya and Edric, where he involved himself, er, several times. He was feeling sorry for himself, angry about it, and commenting about Ned, Ashara, and the bastard in a cabbage, or whatever.

Oh, just the worst way to go out and lose someone. During an argument, where you might think you contributed to someone fleeing and then getting into trouble.

Just the worst!

I remember reading this chapter for the first time.

The cliffhanger sucked.

The realization of Gendry’s response, and what it would be, when it hit him she was gone. A thousand times worse.

Another fabulous essay by booknerd2!! You're really selling me on this ship and I'm beginning to see Gendry in a new light.

I been lurking this, nothing to add other then to say im really enjoying it! Keep up the good work people.

Glad you're enjoying it, E-Ro! Lurk away for now, but eventually we want to read your "Stannis+E-Ro = the greatest love story of all time" essay. It's so much better than Stavos. :P

Booknerd2, I am another lurker but came out of the shadow to tell you how much I have enjoyed both your articles.

I am so hoping you will write something regarding Gendry and Arya the evening she was dressed as a young girl wearing the acorn dress..(squirrel) motiff and Gendry sniffed at her. I just loved that! Sniffed like a dog or a direwolf at her..lol and what is the connection with Arya and the woods even the name Lady Smallwood who gave her the dress. But the best hint is the song..the song Tom is singing when Gendry and Arya return from the forge and their mock rolling scuffle.

My featherbed is deep and soft,

and there I'll lay you down,

I'll dress you all in yellow silk, and on your head a crown,

For you shall be my lady love,

and I shall be your lord.

I'll always keep you warm and safe,

and guard you with my sword.

Harwin took one look at them and burst out laughing, and Anguy smiled one of his stupid freckly smiles and said "Are we certain this one is a highborn lady"?

And how beautiful she smiled and how she laughed,

the maiden of the tree.

She spun away and said to him no featherbed for me.

I'll wear a gown of golden leaves,

and bind my hair with grass,

But you can be my forest love and me your forest lass.

Shades of Lyanna Stark in that song and also little Miss Arya Stark. Sorry for long post but its one of my favorite songs in the entire series and I hope its hinting at a future for Gendry and Arya. I hope someone at some point will do an article about this scene between Gendry and Arya and what it might hint at in the future. Back to lurk mode.

Glad you're enjoying it, E-Ro! Lurk away for now, but eventually we want to read your "Stannis+E-Ro = the greatest love story of all time" essay. It's so much better than Stavos. :P

Haha, my stannis love is 100% platonic, I assure you. Though I can see how it might not always look like that! :laugh:

Booknerd2, I am another lurker but came out of the shadow to tell you how much I have enjoyed both your articles.

I am so hoping you will write something regarding Gendry and Arya the evening she was dressed as a young girl wearing the acorn dress..(squirrel) motiff and Gendry sniffed at her. I just loved that! Sniffed like a dog or a direwolf at her..lol and what is the connection with Arya and the woods even the name Lady Smallwood who gave her the dress. But the best hint is the song..the song Tom is singing when Gendry and Arya return from the forge and their mock rolling scuffle.

My featherbed is deep and soft,

and there I'll lay you down,

I'll dress you all in yellow silk, and on your head a crown,

For you shall be my lady love,

and I shall be your lord.

I'll always keep you warm and safe,

and guard you with my sword.

Harwin took one look at them and burst out laughing, and Anguy smiled one of his stupid freckly smiles and said "Are we certain this one is a highborn lady"?

And how beautiful she smiled and how she laughed,

the maiden of the tree.

She spun away and said to him no featherbed for me.

I'll wear a gown of golden leaves,

and bind my hair with grass,

But you can be my forest love and me your forest lass.

Shades of Lyanna Stark in that song and also little Miss Arya Stark. Sorry for long post but its one of my favorite songs in the entire series and I hope its hinting at a future for Gendry and Arya. I hope someone at some point will do an article about this scene between Gendry and Arya and what it might hint at in the future. Back to lurk mode.

Thank you, Lady Arya's Song!

I am just silly, an observer, and things just occur to me. But their arc is too much. You read it and are like, "Whoa, what? Oh, come on, now."

I have to be honest with the whole "featherbed song." I get some of it, some I think can be interpreted many ways; I struggle with it. I just write loose essays, so I won't be doing a full retrospective on chapters. I don't think I could do that entire song justice or a full chapter even. It is a lot of work. And I totally tip my hat to the writers that offer full analysis of chapters. Even with the two I just wrote. I left stuff out. I can't offer that. There is stuff I am just not sure how to read or interpret, so I don't go there.

I am sure that when the time comes between the article covering it and others posting, a hell of a lot of insight and interpretation will be had. "Featherbed' is within a chapter of the Arya/Gendry pairing so the full on analysis will be coming in future.

But my next essay just ocurred to me a few days ago. I was watching some old classic movies and really, if you are writing about these two, of course the acorn dress thing is in the back of your mind.

I have something I thought about writing.

And thank you, Dog Lover! It is just a lot fun.

But Martin gives Arya the dialogue so bluntly to us. He wants us to know Gendry doesn’t like him too. He wants to make that clear. He wants us to wonder why?

That's a good point, he wanted us to know. He made a point of letting us know. Hmmmmm...

Actually, a house full of women had no affect on him and did not ring his bell. It didn’t ring any bells. But that essay is for another time.

Please, that has to be part 3! :)

Arya will decide later what she likes and what appeals to her. Like muscles and strength, or blonde and gentlemanly, and things like that, that she only takes note of, but is not thinking yet of the possible appeal to her, because she is too young yet.

I had so many crushes at that age. I think she will pick muscles. Gendry: "She watched the play of muscles in his chest and listened to the steel music he made." And she was even thinking of Sandor in terms of Gendry: "He was muscled like a bull." Later she noticed another guy wasn't as "heavily muscled" as he was, too. She and Sansa can compare notes.

And then the little blonde has to mention that not only does he have a House, he is the Lord of Starfall.

The little blonde! :)

That maybe he just doesn’t want to with Bella or anyone. He is telling us he is not that type of guy. He likes “nice girls.”

Definitely think this.

Somebody decides to include themself again.

He put himself right back in there.

t was right after they hear about Hoster Tully. Just that it was Arya’s grandfather? That he felt for her because she already heard bombshell info regarding her father, Ashara Dayne, mother, and Jon Snow, and he thought maybe it was too much for her in one sitting? He witnessed her distress and felt for it. He just went through it mere seconds ago?

I was wondering about that, too. I think you're right.

Loved the essay, thank you!

We might just have that coming. ;) Some of these could be a little out of order, due to obligations of presenters, things like that. We'll make a list of links when they're all done to find them.

The song is so beautiful and I agree, very Lyanna!

Well, I've been asked to contribute to this thread with some of the silly crap I post on my blog, so I'll give it a go.

Here's my rather skewed summary of Jaime and Brienne's first chapter together in A Storm of Swords:

Jaime: There’s a slight wind. That reminds me of Cersei. There’s water in this river.

That reminds me of Cersei. Grass is green. That reminds me of…

Brienne: UP SHUT THE FUCK, KINGSLAYER!

Jaime: You’d look real funny in a dress, wench. Why does a peasant like you speak so formally?

Brienne: Why were you picturing me in a dress?

Jaime: What, I wasn’t noticing your strong muscular form or anything. Take off my chains?

Brienne: No.

Jaime: Fine then, show me your tits?

Brienne: ARE U FUCKING LEGIT, KINGSLAYER?!

Jaime: THE NAME’S JAIME, WENCH!

Brienne: THE NAME’S BRIENNE, ASS!

Cleos:…my name’s cleos…

Jaime: Did you hear something?

Brienne: Must have been the wind.

Jaime: AH, THE WIND!

Brienne: STOP!

Jaime: BRING IT, PEASANT, OR ARE YOU AFRAID I’LL WIN?

Brienne: I’m not a peasant, I’m Brienne of Tarth, bitch. Don’t you forget it!

Jaime: Highborn then! Must be a disappointment to your father?

Cleos:…pleasestopfighting…

Jaime: There’s that wind again. Almost sounds like someone talking.

Brienne: Weird…wait…what’s that over there?

Jaime: A sail?

*arrows fly above their heads*

Jaime: SHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT

Brienne: Hold on, I got this.

Jaime: Holy shit, since when did she have such fabulous eyes?

*Brienne gracefully dives into the river*

Jaime: Damn girl you could get it…wait, what?

Ser Robin: Wat up, dawg? Looks like the game’s up!

Jaime: That’s what you think! Fight me one on one and see how you fare!

Ser Robin: That’d be nice, but I’m afraid the 30-odd men I have with me on this ship won’t stand for that. Surrender now, and I won’t-

*Ser Robin is cut off as a giant fuck-off sized boulder lands on his ship, snapping it in two*

Ser Robin: DA FUCK?

Jaime: DA FUCK?

*Jaime looks up to see Brienne standing on the cliff where the boulder had fallen from*

Jaime: Did…DID SHE JUST SINK A GODDAMN SHIP?!? I'm gonna try really hard not to be impressed by that.

*Brienne dives from the cliff back into the water, heading towards the skiff*

Jaime: Just a little closer, and I’ll knock the damn wench back into the water. Any second…

*Brienne surfaces*

Jaime: Damn it all, I can’t do it! Grab the oar, wench!

Brienne:

Jaime: I suppose you want me to thank you for before?

Brienne: To hell with your praise, bitch, I did that for myself.

Jaime: You ungrateful cow.

Brienne: You incestuous ass.

Cleos: …ihavesomethingtosay…

Jaime and Brienne: SHUT THE HELL UP!

Is this helping? I don't know, but every line in that summary is based on the events of that chapter as well as Jaime's thoughts.

Although he thinks a lot of awful and offensive things about Brienne, he also catches himself noticing how gracefully she dives into the water, admiring her skill, and yes, how pretty her eyes are. He could have killed her as she attempted to climb back into the skiff, but for reasons even he himself probably cannot explain, he helps her instead.

Gendry: "She watched the play of muscles in his chest and listened to the steel music he made." And she was even thinking of Sandor in terms of Gendry: "He was muscled like a bull." Later she noticed another guy wasn't as "heavily muscled" as he was, too. She and Sansa can compare notes.

by Le Cygne

Never noticed this before. The steel being referred to as music, like lulling and in a positive sense, when usually steel has to do with blood, guts, warfare, etc.

Hey! I've arrived a little bit late, but this thread caught my attention. My shipper heart is looking forward to it.

Booknerd2, you made me be more interested in Arya/Gendry than I actually was! :cool4:

Sounds good to me. :D

Rose-Papillon, that was hilarious. Nice way to start the day with coffee and the funny. Thankfully, I didn't spit it out laughing. Yup, that is pretty much Brienne and Jaime.

That was great, Rose-Papillon! I can't stop laughing, the whole thing is so perfect.

Jaime: You ungrateful cow.

Brienne: You incestuous ass.

Cleos: …ihavesomethingtosay…

Jaime and Brienne: SHUT THE HELL UP!

The whole time I was reading their story, I was thinking these things, but not as funny as you put them. :)

Love the essays booknerd!

by Le Cygne

Never noticed this before. The steel being referred to as music, like lulling and in a positive sense, when usually steel has to do with blood, guts, warfare, etc.

Steel is also what Needle is made of, and Needle means home. :) A big deal was made of how Mikken, the blacksmith of Winterfell, made Needle specially. And sword fighting is a sort of "steel song" after all. Arya even dances to it: the water dance.

Love the essays booknerd!

Steel is also what Needle is made of, and Needle means home. :) A big deal was made of how Mikken, the blacksmith of Winterfell, made Needle specially. And sword fighting is a sort of "steel song" after all. Arya even dances to it: the water dance.

Ooh, never thought of the home connection and "the dance"...lovin' it!

Thanks, Lyanna!

I was fooling with some ideas and when September hits, forget it. Free time over, so I am pumping them out while I'm free. I seriously can not wait to read the in-depth analysis! So far, its been the comedy opening act essays. LOL!

My next essay has a part that covers "That Featherbed Song: Can Someone Truly Tell Me What the Hell it Really Means? LOL!

That one drives me nuts!

I was fooling with some ideas and when September hits, forget it. Free time over, so I am pumping them out while I'm free. I seriously can not wait to read the in-depth analysis! So far, its been the comedy opening act essays. LOL!

LOL! I'm now very concerned about switching gears over to my R-rated and serious Asha/Qarl summary and analysis (I'm not funny :crying: ). But I shall wait until we're done with Jaime and Brienne. And keep your essays, coming, booknerd2! They're too much fun.

Archived