Cricket XIX - Australian Hundreds and Other Myths

Stubby

So start this new thread, let's nominate who we think will be the first Australian to score a test hundred this Ashes season.

The easy option would be to pick Clarke, but I'm going for Brad Haddin.

Steve Smith. He's got the determination and is the least soft of our batsmen. I would nominate Rogers but I think it's a bit too much for him at the top

I think the more important question is how many more English tons before we get one.

Haddin and Smith are good picks.

For the sake of variety, I'm going to go with Rogers. If he can survive the opening spells he has the stickability to do it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Clarke actually has a quiet series. He's under lots of pressure and the expectation to hold everything together could get to him.

I think it's pretty even odds on each of the current team in any given match. Except Watson, who seems to be constitutionally incapable of passing fifty, let alone a hundred. Clarke is the best bat in the team, followed by daylight, but he hasn't looked like he's going to get a big score, and Anderson in particular seems to get to him.

I'll go with an outside bet on David Warner.

Pattinson's out for the series, isn't he? Otherwise he'd have been one of my picks!

Quite telling for the rest of the batsmen :P (Nothing to do with the fact that I forgot he was out)

I don't think Agar will make an enormous impact on the rest of the series. He took England by surprise in his first innings and was also at #11 with no expectations, which gave him the freedom to play his shots without worrying he'd be blamed for a collapse. Playing now at #8 with England having got a better idea of his capabilities, and with more responsibility to try to keep his wicket rather than just add as many runs as possible, I can't see him surpassing his first-innings score... although he could surprise me. He's also been disappointing with the ball (not that you can expect a young, non-Warne, spinner to be all that effective) and since that's his day job, he might be out of the team again soon, possibly as early as the next Test.

Pool A: England, Australia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, New Zealand, Qualifier 2 and Qualifier 3

Pool B: South Africa, India, Pakistan, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland and Qualifier 4

The bolded was how they had this year's CT .Atleast they should have jumbled it up a little.The host countries should have been in a different group too.It takes away 1 game home advantage.

Pool A: England, Australia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, New Zealand, Qualifier 2 and Qualifier 3

Pool B: South Africa, India, Pakistan, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland and Qualifier 4

The bolded was how they had this year's CT .Atleast they should have jumbled it up a little.The host countries should have been in a different group too.It takes away 1 game home advantage.

This way you have the best chance of India qualifying from their group; three of the other four top-ranked ODI nations are in the other group, as well as both home nations. It also works in favour of Pakistan. It's in the ICC's interest to keep both of those nations in the competition as long as possible to maximise revenues; they can't be having another disaster like in 2007 where they both get eliminated in the first round, no matter how much they deserve it. </cynicism>

I watched Fire in Babylon yesterday after X-Ray and Hereward had mentioned it - I had recorded it from TV a while back but hadn't watched it yet. I'd agree it was a very good documentary, when I've heard about the development of Windies dominance in the past it's usually been told from an English perspective. I think this was the first time I heard the explanation that their development of their fearsome attack was a deliberate reaction to them falling apart in the face of hostile bowling from Lillee and Thomson on their tour of Australia.

It is a shame the current Windies team is such a shadow of its former self (although probably a bit better than it was a few years ago). When I first started watching cricket I remember them challenging Australia as the most intimidating opponents and it doesn't seem right that they're not one of the top (Test) teams any more.

I'll go with an outside bet on David Warner.

I'll vote for Warner as well. At least he shouldn't be as traumatised by the series so far as some of the other players might be.

I've got no idea which Australian is going to be the first to score a hundred, I'm just hoping he'll be one of the Australians in my fantasy team and he'll do it in a losing cause.

Speaking what I'm sure we're all concerned about, my fantasy team, all this selection uncertainty is not making it easy for me to decide which transfers I'm going to make before Thursday. Sort it out Cricket Australia!

World Cup Pools are out .It just looks like the pool round of champions trophy +minnows.

The pool allocations are less than ideal, but my main concern is the timing of the world cup. I was getting ready to sit some major exams in March and May 2015. But dammit, it looks like I'll have to delay sitting until the second half of the year.

Archived