Cricket XIX - Australian Hundreds and Other Myths

Stubby

The DRS is nothing short of laughable. What a totally useless piece of shit!! Clear gap between bat and ball, no deviation on ball passing bat, no hotspot and noise before ball reaches bat. But it's out because, ONLY because, the onfield umpire initially called it out. What a stupid, stupid system.

The DRS is nothing short of laughable. What a totally useless piece of shit!! Clear gap between bat and ball, no deviation on ball passing bat, no hotspot and noise before ball reaches bat. But it's out because, ONLY because, the onfield umpire initially called it out. What a stupid, stupid system.

As Warne and Botham said there's nothing wrong with the technology, it's just the umpires being idiots. Joke of a call.

I've got no problem with the benefit of the doubt going to the decision of the on field umpire, it's a review of those decisions not a whole new call and that's the way it should be. However when the evidence does show that decision is wrong, and I'm not sure how much more evidence there could be an edge was called wrong, the third umpire needs to make the right call.

It's not the DRS (the technology) that's laughable. The main problem is, as they say, "between the seat and the keyboard."

It is sort of a problem with the technology because it's only trusted to a limited extent. It shouldn't be used if it can't be trusted to overturn an umpire's decision. There's no point having a DRS that is only there to affirm the umpires's decision regardless of the evidence.

Well, at least the umpire initially gave it out, so even without a correct DRS Khawaja would still be gone. Poor kid. He was so confident too.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the initial decision. My initial reaction, at normal speed, was out.

A mate from school posted this on facebook:

ICC should be congratulated for their equal opportunities policy of employing deaf and blind 3rd Umpires. Someone please get poor Kumar Dharmasena a pair of glasses.

It is sort of a problem with the technology because it's only trusted to a limited extent. It shouldn't be used if it can't be trusted to overturn an umpire's decision. There's no point having a DRS that is only there to affirm the umpires's decision regardless of the evidence.

But that's not a problem with the technology (which is running at 95% accuracy, no matter what the meatbags call on-field or on review). It's a problem with the umpires. So, perhaps it's time to fire any umpire too stupid to handle slow-motion cameras and too weak-willed to risk the ire of the on-pitch umpire?

Archived