Cricket XIX - Australian Hundreds and Other Myths

Stubby

Great batting from Australia, but we're going to need a win, not a draw, and this match looks like it could be set up for the latter if England bat well.

At least Clarke has broken Alex's curse!

Good to see Smith batting well too. He really doesn't look like a proper batsman but if he gets the runs I'm not going to complain.

The question is whether we can a) avoid a lower-order collapse and B) back it up with some good bowling to get a first-innings lead.

The presenter on ten's The Project just called Khawaja "Uhz-man Kawaazee". WTF?? Surely someone could've told her during the break before that segment.

Anyway, let's hope Warner and Haddin can cash in and push the score beyond 500 before tea and let the bowlers loose. Hopefully the bowling standards from the first couple of tests are maintained and we put some pressure on England.

At least when Watson reviews there's a slight chance the ball might do something crazy and not skittle the wickets.

Exactly. You can get some last microsecond swing that might push the ball down leg or it might have hit just outside the line of offstump. But this was a big edge that was clearly visible on full speed replays. Surely Clarke should've seen it as well.

Damn! Missed that. Oh, well. Hopefully the Aussie attack won't collapse after this.

They'll probably be fine as long as Clarke is still in, as they know he's scoring freely so there's no pressure to play stupid shots.

Hey Xray, sorry can't help you out - didn't see the Sky team at lunch so I couldn't tell you. Fox Sports over here in Australia uses the sky feed though, so chances are you saw some of Ian Botham, Michael Holding, Andrew Strauss, Nasser Hussain, Michael Atherton, David Gower or somesuch.

I don't think Australia will declare - they've so rarely made a score that I think Clarke will take as much as he can get and gamble on the follow-on.

Yep. One of them was Ian Botham.

I was damned disappointed to come back from 30 minutes of fact checking (damned job getting in the way of my cricket!) and see that England were batting. Last I saw, it was 500+/7. But I see that Australia declared at 527/7. That's a very decent run total for a first innings, although I wonder if the Aussie bowling attack can live up to the task of a quick England innings.

Yep. One of them was Ian Botham.

I was damned disappointed to come back from 30 minutes of fact checking (damned job getting in the way of my cricket!) and see that England were batting. Last I saw, it was 500+/7. But I see that Australia declared at 527/7. That's a very decent run total for a first innings, although I wonder if the Aussie bowling attack can live up to the task of a quick England innings.

They are about 520 runs ahead,They'd have to really bowl badly to get smashed from here on in.

They are about 520 runs ahead,They'd have to really bowl badly to get smashed from here on in.

I should have been clearer. I can totally see Australia getting a draw: If their generally indifferent batting can get 500+ on this ground, I bet England's sturdier batting can too. I was more thinking about the conditions needed for an Aussie win. :)

Archived