Cricket XIX - Australian Hundreds and Other Myths

Stubby

I don't think Bresnan's hit that at all. Cook must have just told him they're not risking a review on a nightwatchman is the only reason I can think of not to review. You wouldn't be pleased.

My guess was he got a little inside edge onto the thigh pad....

My guess was he got a little inside edge onto the thigh pad....

I don't think he did. It certainly didn't show up on snicko and they usually do, plus I don't think you even discuss a review the way they did if you've edged it as a nightwatchman.

If Australia can't bowl out England today, I think we're going to enter serious draw territory. And I have a feeling Cook's quiet series is going to change now...this might be the Test match of captain's knocks.

I think Australia will win this one quite comfortably unless rain intervenes; England's batting hasn't look that great throughout the series, and batting last will be very tricky. Certainly the 5-0 whitewash is off the cards now.

I think Australia will win this one quite comfortably unless rain intervenes; England's batting hasn't look that great throughout the series, and batting last will be very tricky. Certainly the 5-0 whitewash is off the cards now.

!t's reverse psychology!! ;)

I'd be very surprised if they don't enforce the follow on if they get the chance. Considering they need the win and Clarke's a fairly attacking captain if England do avoid the follow on I can even see it getting a bit interesting with Australian declarations.

But would Australia really want to bat last on the 5th day? I would think not.

If England really does incur the follow on, which I don't think they will considering the long tail, I reckon Clarke will choose to bat anyway, get some quick runs on the board and try to take advantage of the late 4th and 5th day pitch to get England out. Aussies batting on the 5th day is too risky as they are too prone to collapse.

Apparently there's a decent chance there won't be too much of a fifth day though, the pitch really hasn't deteriorated that much and it's already taken them the best part of four sessions to take 7 wickets. I think Australia need all the time they can get to win the match.

It was a great innings from KP and it's moved England closer to safety although they're not quite there yet. After he's had a quiet series so far, it's not too surprising that Pietersen waits until they're under real pressure, he does seem to thrive on that. It's a pity that there's yet another contentious DRS decision regarding his dismissal, I can't blame the umpire for not spotting it live (especially since even Pietersen seemed unsure whether he'd hit it) but there did seem to be enough evidence on hot spot of the small inside edge.

Apparently there's a decent chance there won't be too much of a fifth day though, the pitch really hasn't deteriorated that much and it's already taken them the best part of four sessions to take 7 wickets. I think Australia need all the time they can get to win the match.

I agree, in other circumstances Clarke might not enforce the follow-on but given that they have to win this match at all costs I think enforcing the follow-on makes victory more likely. Of course, they might not get the chance, England are close to denying them the opportunity. I think a draw still seems like the most likely outcome, but England (or the English weather) do still have work to do to make the game safe.

As William says above, KP under pressure really is a sight to behold. Amongst all the failings today it was a real pleasure watching him make merry for a while today.

It's weird to say it, but I almost feel as if the Aussies have exceeded expectations in this series. England are undoubtedly the better side, but they haven't played all that well and could easily have been 2-1 down going into the Durham match.

Archived