"Mother of dragons... Child of three..."

Acky Deshwanee

Good question.

I've always taken it to mean that she's the child of both her parents, and also the storm which raged at her birth.

I'm of two minds as to who the (elsewhere, less subtly referenced) storm god is exactly, but my current thinking is that the storm god of the Ironborn is not a synonym for R'hllor, or the Great Other. Some think that she might be Morrigan, I'm not sure about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

The Undying say this phrase to Dany in the House of the Undying.

What could it refer to - the "dragon has 3 heads"?

I'm stumped!

Acky D x

It could relate to the dragon has three heads thing, or it could also relate to, as I know, I know has said that she is the child of both her parents and the storm that raged at her birth/the dragon itself.

Daenerys thinks it's related to Aegon the Conqueror: he had 2 sisters, and together they were 3, and each of them had one dragon to mount, and was "a head of the dragon that conquered Westeros". She has 3 dragons, but she stands alone. Her 2 brothers are dead, and she doesn't know who will stand by her and be the other 2 heads of her dragon. It could be Jorah, or any other character who appears later in the series and happens to root for her.

I'm not sure if this is too far out but I was thinking that maybe the "child of three" could refer to Rhaegar being her father, not Aerys. The Targs have never been afraid of incest, although this kind would be notably more taboo, but George is a pretty wild guy sometimes. The piece that made me think about this conclusion is Dany's vision in that same chapter of Rhaegar talking about the baby Aegon having a song, and its the Song of Ice and Fire, but also that the dragon has three heads and there must be another. Could child of three refer to Rhaella, Aerys II, and Rhaegar and Dany, Jon and Aegon be Rhaegar's three headed dragon children?

I'm not sure if this is too far out but I was thinking that maybe the "child of three" could refer to Rhaegar being her father, not Aerys. The Targs have never been afraid of incest, although this kind would be notably more taboo, but George is a pretty wild guy sometimes. The piece that made me think about this conclusion is Dany's vision in that same chapter of Rhaegar talking about the baby Aegon having a song, and its the Song of Ice and Fire, but also that the dragon has three heads and there must be another. Could child of three refer to Rhaella, Aerys II, and Rhaegar and Dany, Jon and Aegon be Rhaegar's three headed dragon children?

1. Rhaegar wasn't around Rhaella in the year before Dany was born.

2. It wasn't Aegon where Rhaegar wwas talking to, it was Jon.

• 2 weeks later...

first, the targarian sigle is a dragon with three heads, also it refers to a proficy later (only a bit of a spoiler) that says the three headid dragon will reclaim westroce. now in this world no dragons ever actually had 3 heads, this refers too

that she hatches 3 dragons, each needing a rider, and each dragon x rider combonation being one head of this dragon. so she must have three dragons and three riders (including herself) to conquer westrose

Archived