Parties At WorldCon 2013 San Antonio -- Call for Volunteers

"Everybody Welcome, Everybody Responsible." -- Parris

The above quote pretty much sums up the philosophy of the Brotherhood Without Banners. While the BwB has a general structure in place to keep things organized, it comes down to every single member of the BwB to help make things happen.

There will be two absolutely glorious parties at San Antonio: a BwB-only shindig (probably on Friday), and a public party (probably on Saturday). We need volunteers for both parties to keep them running smoothly. Have no fear, we won't make you work the entire night, either night. But a couple of hours of service will make the party successful, and will also ease the burden on those who are the main party organizers (who will forever be grateful).

If you want to do one task on one day, and another on the second, awesome! Just note it in your post. The party will be less hectic on the BWB night, because the crowd will be smaller. The public party will be more intense due to the increased traffic and people not familiar with BwB.

So, to the volunteer categories:

Set Up Crew (Friday)

Help move furniture, put up decorations, and generally turn an anonymous hotel suite into a party room.

1. Xray the Enforcer

2. Lady Narcissa of the Blue Tape/Christmas Lights

3. Neal

4. Frisco

5. Bruce

6. SSE

7. Elder Sister

8. BookWyrm

9. Maid of Woodlynne

10. Lucky Pierre

11. Kat

12. Cuellar

Door Greeters (Saturday)

For the Saturday night open party, we need friendly faces at the doors to bring people into the party, tell them what the BwB are about, and generally make non-BwB feel welcome. (Friday night, we'll have a guest list and someone who knows the SFF community well will help with door duties.)

1. Sir Knight Somerville

2. Regina

3. SSE

4. Elder Sister

5. Maid of Woodlynne

6. Daenerys Stormborn

7. Lucky Pierre

8. Baitac

Security (Friday and Saturday)

Everyone should feel safe at a BwB party. We've found that having a security team to manage troublemakers is a big step to achieving that. We need both male and female security staff. For the security gig, we ask that you be sober during your shift, although feel free to get your drink on after you're done.

1. Xray the Enforcer

2. Ithanos

3. Dunknegg

4. Ser Cam

Trash Cleanup (Friday and Saturday)

Parties generate trash. In this gig, you'd travel about the party collecting stray cups or other garbage. This is especially helpful towards the end of the evening. There's nothing worse than facing all of that crap the next morning when it's time to clean the room for the next party (or to vacate it).

1. Neal

2. Prince Lodey

3. SSE

4. beniowa

5. Tully

6. makotohanabi

Ice Dragons (Friday and Saturday)

Bars need ice. Lots of it. Your job will be to procure ice, either from the hotel staff or from the ice machines on the floor. Basically, just monitor the tub o' beer and water to see if it needs more ice, or talk to Mr. X behind the bar to see if he needs any.

1. Frisco

2. SSE

3. beniowa

4. Lucky Pierre

5. Fragile Bird

Wandering Crows (Friday and Saturday)

Even seasoned con organizers sometimes forget things, or miscalculate just how much vodka the BwB can consume. So we'll need a couple of BwB (and at least one who is over 21 years of age) who would be willing to make a dash for the corner store to pick up any supplies we might need. Bonus if you have a car and are sober enough to drive it.

1. SSE

2. Bookwyrm

3. Ithanos

Clean-Up Crew (Sunday)

Once the parties are done, we'll need help getting the room in order on Sunday morning before checkout. Crushing hangover not necessary, but likely.

1. Xray the Enforcer

2. Lady Narcissa

3. Frisco (pending hangover)

4. Neal (pending jail)

5. SSE (pending high-speed car chase to the Mexican border)

6. Bookwyrm (pending nuclear war)

7. Maid of Woodlynne (pending hostile alien invasion)

8. Kat

I'll close by saying that my strongest friendships in the BWB were forged in the gnarly dregs of a few of our parties. I am looking forward to seeing each and every one of you BwB at San Antonio. Let the festivities begin! :cheers:

A lot of these jobs (especially stuff like trash duty) are really easy -- every 20 minutes or so, grab a trash bag and gather up any unclaimed empties. When the main bin is full, drag it to the dropoff point (the hotel usually designates a corner or stairwell for this). Then back to socializing. :)

Also please note, as we've had questions about this in the past: We don't take volunteers for bartending. We have a dedicated crew for that. :cheers:

Xray, I'll help with setup on Friday and will do whatever up until Saturday - I 'think' Mr. ES and I may be having to leave on Saturday, but count me in for whatever. And I'll be a greeter. I love talking to strangers, as you probably already figured out. :)

I'm going to send you my cell phone # on FB so that you'll have it. I'm serious about doing whatever. Mr. ES would be better at security than I - but if you're looking for a worker bee/greeter, I'm your (wo) man.

I will be happy to assist as I did in Chicago last year, though I can't schedule specific shifts until I am on site. Door, security, trash sweeps, supply runs or bartender relief when they need thaturgent break or just a few to decompress. I just can't do any serious weight-lifting unless we have a chiropractor on call.

Archived