Blackfyre Rebellion in TWOIAF?

That's the very nature of the Blackfyre Rebellion, I guess. Second tier houses trying to gain power supporting a rival king. The overlords of a region don't tend to defy the status quo.

But that doesn't mean that they didn't represent a huge challenge. The Reynes, the Lohstons or the Yronwoods could easily overthrow their respective overlords if they didn't have the full suport of their bannermen.

There were at least four Blackfyre Rebellions during the time Bittersteel lived, although I don't know if all were called a Blackfyre rebellion (the War of the Ninepenny Kings apparently is not called a Blackfyre Rebellion), or if they got some other names. We know as much from the fact that the Yronwoods rode in three Blackfyre Rebellions together with Bittersteel, but neither Bittersteel nor the Yronwoods took part in the second. Since we have reason to assume that they fought in the first, this means there have to be at least two rebellions during the lifetime of Bittersteel.

No idea how many Blackfyre Rebellions there were after Bittersteel died, but there could have been some, I guess.

the War of the Ninepenny Kings apparently is not called a Blackfyre Rebellion

I always thought the War of the Ninepenny Kings and the Fifth Blackfyre Rebellion were the same thing?

I could see if it wasn't called that, though, as it was more of a pre-emptive attack on a poised invasion force. We have no info on houses in Westeros supporting Maelys. But then the Second Blackfyre Rebellion was basically a big arrest with no huge set-piece battles and only very minor support gathering for the Blackfyres.

Well, the first and second Blackfyre rebellion qualify as 'rebellions', especially from the POV of the victorious party. In both cases lords and members of the royal family plotted against the ruling king, and then actively took up arms against said king or at least tried.

The impression we got as of yet from the War of the Ninepenny Kings is that Jaehaerys II brought the war to the Stepstones, not the other way around, and it does not seem as if Maelys or the other members of the Band of Nine got any support from the nobility of Westeros (not counting the exiles among the Golden Company, of course).

Also, it does strike me kind of odd to dub any Blackfryre-Targaryen-confrontation 'rebellion' which happened when Egg's generation took the reign both in Westeros and in Essos. Whatever happened then would be an invasion, or an attempt of an invasion. As long as the old guard who took part in the First Rebellion (i.e. Bittersteel/Bloodraven, and perhaps Maekar) were still around and heavily involved in things the 'rebellion' concept makes sense, but not afterwards. Especially since I think Bloodraven's fall from grace and Bittersteel's death in exile took a lot of steam out of the conflict. If there was a Blackfyre rebellion during Egg's reign, it has to have another cause despite the Blackfyres calling the Targaryens usurpers/false kings.

Things may have cooled down somewhat during Maekar's rule already. He was part of the Battle on the Redgrass Field, but he was not Bloodraven. And I'm quite sure Egg did all he could to try reunite the Targaryen and Blackfyre lines. That would be the smart thing to do considering his experiences at Steadfast and Whitewalls. And I'd not be surprised if Maelys turned out to be the son of one of Egg's daughters, or one of his sisters.

It's seems that the Sunderlands took part in both the first and the second Blackfyre rebellion. Lord Sunderland is present at Whitewalls, and my guess is that he also was involved in the first rebellion, but this has yet to be confirmed. It was indicated that most but not all of the lords and knights present at Whitewalls had fought in the first rebellion as well. Some were just there because they had their own quarrels with Aerys I and Bloodraven.

So it's possible that the Sunderlands took no part in the first, but joined the Blackfyre cause in the second and subsequently in another of the rebellions instigated by Bittersteel.

Archived